Scan photos on Facebook: yes or no?

Hunnie

Reaction score
I just thought I'd start the debate on the opinion of people announcing their pregnancy on Facebook, mainly through the use of first scan photos and posting further scan photos and whether PF members feel it right to do or something that should kept private to themselves and family and close friends?

I've started this thread as a discussion and not intended to cause any arguments but to just see how other people think and their view on the matter. Each person's opinion is completely their own on the topic and one that I think should be respected.

My personal opinion of posting scan photos on Facebook is that I wouldn't do it and haven't done. My decision to keep my scan photos private to just my family and very close friends was mainly due to having people on my Facebook account who I wasn't really fond of but kept on as it saved myself the hassle of starting arguments and being accused of being "pathetic" for deleting them as a friend. I think the reasoning why I also didn't do it was because as I'm going to be a young mum I was frightened of how people would make nasty comments and jump to conclusions about my pregnancy.
In hindsight I should probably have not cared so much from the start and been proud that I was pregnant but I still at the same time am glad that I didn't show the scan photos as they have been kept as something precious between me and OH and both sides of the family that will last even when LO has arrived.

I posted mine on FB as it was the easiest way to tell all my friends, all our family already knew.
I live in the US & all my friends are back in the UK so this was the best way for me to get our wonderful news out there.
I dont really have a bunch of randoms on my FB that I wouldnt want to see my scan either so I'm pro posting! I think it's nice people posting them on FB for friends to see, and lovely getting all the congrats comments!

I've got my scans on Facebook. I didn't particularly announce it that way. I made sure all my close friends and family knew about the pregnancy beforehand, because I feel having them find out from a scan photo I post up isn't very loyal or a nice way of finding out. Other people I don't talk to as often, well they don't really need to be told so that's ok.
I've got family that don't live closeby, and friends I don't see as often as I'd like, so sharing my scans on facebook is a good way to show them all :)

I put mine on fb and regularly put pics of Owen As I'm sooooo proud of him and want to show him off!! :p

I put mine on fb cos it was the easiest way to make it known. We had told all family members and close friends and this was the simplest way of showing everyone what we had achieved. My auntie works abroad for most ofthe year so it was nice for her to be able to see Pip as well.

I know friends who have not said anythin about their pg's on fb which to totally their decision, each person is entitled to decode if they want everyone to know or not xxxx

I would probably post some of the pictures eventually but with the special option to post it only to certain friends. I don't like the idea that any random or friends of my Friends can see them. Also people ths I used to work with o old school friends that we are not too close anymore...no need for them to know or see them. So I have my friends in 2 groups ad I easily post things only to who I want.

Last edited:
If you use facebook with sense than your privacy settings would mean people you don't want to see them can't iykwim?

Ive got people I don't want knowing about my life on mind but they can't see anything I say or post just my DP.

I told all my close friends and family about baby then announced it on FB to people who I wouldntve been able to do that too and it worked out great :) my funniest feeling was when my OH put the 12 week scan as his dp on twitter and I realised all his friends could see my uterus! Lol!

I announced mine through facebook after telling close friends and family in person. I've put my scan pics up but prob won't put my 3d ones up as I don't feel that I want EVERYONE to see what my baby looks like before it's born! I just find its easier to tell people through fb, I manage a team of 50 people at work and didn't fancy telling them all individually! I put it on fb and then word got around so that the whole team knew x z

I'm not at the stage of telling people yet. We are telling our parents and immediate family at 12 weeks but nit announcing to anyone else until 20 weeks. So I won't be putting up my 12 week scan, however...all my friends on my Facebook are my actual friends, there is no one on there that I don't know. Only recently have I added a few women from here. I think in that case then it's not an issue.

However at the same time, there is something private about scans. It is a photo of my insides afterall lol so I'm really not sure. However, I'll probably get carried away at 20 weeks and put them up, as I like looking at friends who post theirs. The only thing I really dislike is using a scan photo as a profile picture.

I told everyone through Facebook even my friends and family, I'm expecting my 4th at 26 and i know it wouldn't of be seen as a good thing so after my 12wk scan i just put it on fb for them all to find out and they couldn't really be negative lol

I've never made any specific 'announcements' via facebook, but i have spoken about my pregnancy there (i.e. status's about feeling tired/fat etc) and this has led to people finding out and congratulating me there. Personally i wouldn't put scan pics up or make a specific announcement on there. I don't think there's anything wrong with it as such, it's not the way i'd choose to tell people. I have people on my facebook who insist on airing their private lives all over facebook - i.e. family arguments, break ups etc and i just find it all a bit tasteless. I'm not saying sharing pregnancy news is the same as that but basically facebook is a bit of a casual outlet for me and most of my status's etc consist of silly comments regarding what i'm watching on tv or what i'm having for my tea etc.

Personal preference i suppose, there's no right or wrong answer :) xxx

I posted my scan on FB as a way of letting everyone other than immediate family know the news

I do however only have my FB page visable to Friends and only accept friends who are actually friends and not just random people who might know someone i know

Dont see anything wrong with it personally as I think its good news and nice to share with Friends :)

i dont have anyone on my fb that i wouldnt be happy to talk to but i only posted my first scan pic on there and a vid of the pic with hb so that my family in other parts of the country could see/hear as my auntie and cousins in leicester were keen to know. one of my cousins is 14 weeks now and we chat via fb about pg stuff. i dont generally post on fb about pregnancy all the time as i have a lot of mates who are young and childless and i know it can be a bit annoying to post about it all the time (specially since most of them are male) and i dont see a need to constantly share my life and feelings with everyone lol but i totally respect ppl who are so happy and proud that they post about theirs all the time, give me something to read lol

I put mine on FB as it's the quickest and easiest way to tell and show everyone!

i put mine on facebook, but my most of my friends and family are on facebook. even ones i cant get to see.

our close friends and family knew around8-10 weeks. cause they guessed smoking was cut down and stoped drinking.
only my bro i didnt tell until the day of my scan (weve got issues, they have 7 kids and she always has to be the one with the baby.... i u know what i mean)

Last edited:
When I reached 12 weeks and had the first scan I had already told closest family members and in-laws etc. I think they had harder time keeping it schtum than me lol and was relieved when we put our scan photo on fb for the world to see :D However I have to say that on my fb I only have literally a handfull of friends and they are ppl I keep in touch with and would want to know, and the rest are distant family members who are spread all round the country and the world. FB for me is the main way of communicating with all my closest friends and family as I live nowhere near any of them so it was best thing for me. But personally I just disagree anyway with even keeping a single person on fb if I dont speak to them or make the effort either way to keep in touch or who is on their out of pure nosiness. Those ppl just get deleted within a week! lol So either way posting on fb or not for me it means only ppl I care about are who share my life on there :)
Plus it is good that facebook has settings that allows you to show only ppl of your choice if you prefer...

I dont have anyone on facebook who isn't actually a friend... i used to but deleted them all. I Posted the pics after showing OH and family, i didnt want to go around my friends showing them individually and to be honest people who are not that close wont give a fek about your scan pic anyway, they all look the same really.
Plus i don't plan on keeping what the baby looks like a secret after its born so dont see the point in keeping it private now lol x

I put mine on facebook just a quick and easy way of everyone getting to see lo at the same time, but my page is private and only family and friends can see my facebook :)

I think a lot of this depends on how you use and view facebook. Personally i have over 400 people on mine ranging from family to close friends to work colleagues to people i used to go to school with to people i haven't seen for years. Some of them i don't speak to in 'real life' but they've added me so i accepted...why not? But if i just had family and close friends on there i probably would be more inclined to post scan pics etc. As i said, i use facebook quite casually but i've seen people have full on arguments, break ups and breakdowns over facebook too, which personally i find pretty ridiculous. I wouldn't want to air my personal business on a social networking site like that. I think each to their own and i can understand people posting pics when only their family and close friends will see. Sadly i just have too many nosey parkers and people i don't want knowing my business on mine lol. Maybe time for a facebook spring clean! x

I haven't mentioned being pregnant on facebook at all and initially that was because I wanted to make sure everyone who 'should' know found out from me (employers, family members etc.) now they all know it would probably be ok and would be a nice way of family and friends abroad seeing pics but I still like suprising people who I don't see often when I bump into them and I'm a bit funny with facebook I'm never quite sure I have privacy settings right and I find it a bit invasive (although I have used it to share wedding and honeymoon pics and probably will put pics of LO up when she's born).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back