Announcing your pregnancy on facebook...

Lulu_Laroo

Reaction score
I saw a similar thread to this in Tri2, but was just wondering if you Tri1 ladies are planning on announcing your pregnancy in some way on facebook?

I am going to, mainly because I moved 90miles away from my friends and family last year and keep in contact with most of them through facebook an awful lot.
My 12 week scan is on valentines day (monday!), and as long as everything is ok I will probably posting it then! :dance:

How do you all plan on doing it, if at all?

I've thought about this... my 12 week scan is next Thursday and (fingers crossed) all being well I will start to tell people then. However, I am going to wait until I've had a chance to tell some people face-to-face or over the phone before I announce it on Facebook. I just think that some people will feel a bit hard done by if they find out via Facebook and think I didn't bother to tell them in a more personal way.

I did this- our 12 week scan was on the day we bought and moved into our first house and I posted:

'New house, new....' ;)

I'm going to wait until my 12 weeks scan, and then I'll be telling all my close family and friends face to face or by telephone. Then I might just pop the scan photos on facebook and have the caption as "Baby Stables, Due 24th Sept 2011" for everyone else to find out lol

I've thought about this... my 12 week scan is next Thursday and (fingers crossed) all being well I will start to tell people then. However, I am going to wait until I've had a chance to tell some people face-to-face or over the phone before I announce it on Facebook. I just think that some people will feel a bit hard done by if they find out via Facebook and think I didn't bother to tell them in a more personal way.

Oh yeah, i'll definitely be telling a lot of people over the phone or face-to-face before posting on facebook :)

I will have to tell my friends and family at 10 weeks because we are about to move to the other side of the world..I'll be 12 weeks just after we move and want to tell my close freinds and family face to face. Then I'll probably post something like this on facebook once I'm 12 weeks...'we don't do things by halves, move to the other side of the world and become parents all in one year....yip I'm pregnant'

I'm not gonna tell anyone on facebook. I'll tell my friends and family over phone or in person and the others will be just old school friends, friends of old, work colleagues etc and I'm sure as the grapevine spreads there will be one or two comments that fire around the gossips and they can make what they will of it but I'm not going to make an announcement, post pics or anything like that. One of my friends posts all the time about her pregnancy, her scans, where she is in pregnancy every week and I just feel its too much info.... personal choice really! Everyone's situation is different fron the next so for some I can see how it would be a fab way to announce! - just not for me

Damn right I'll be announcing it on fb, I can't wait :D obviously have to wait for my scan date first.... (getting impatient on that!) & tell the remaining people that don't already know that I'd rather tell face to face! I expect I'll just upload the scan pic...

I'm not gonna tell anyone on facebook. I'll tell my friends and family over phone or in person and the others will be just old school friends, friends of old, work colleagues etc and I'm sure as the grapevine spreads there will be one or two comments that fire around the gossips and they can make what they will of it but I'm not going to make an announcement, post pics or anything like that. One of my friends posts all the time about her pregnancy, her scans, where she is in pregnancy every week and I just feel its too much info.... personal choice really! Everyone's situation is different fron the next so for some I can see how it would be a fab way to announce! - just not for me

That's fair enough, I can understand why people wouldn't want to.
I've got a friend that seems to update every 5mins about her pregnancy, which admittedly drives me a bit nuts! So once I've uploaded the scan pic or whatever I'm going to try my best not to bang on about it too much :thumbup:

Sorry for jumping in on this thread (as I'm not a tri-1 lady) but from another perspective it can be hard for people who have suffered preg loss or have been TTC for a while to read these things on facebook... most of these people won't broadcast that such a thing has ever happened so there's a good chance you'd never know who they are.

As for people who update about their/their partner's pregnancy status on facebook, spare me! (Ok, I press 'hide').

I would advocate contacting your nearest and dearest personally to let them know the good news and the rest as and when.

Congratulations on your pregnancy btw Lulu! (In fact, same to every lady here in Tri!! :) )

x

I suffered a MMC myself last year, so I understand where you are coming from. And thank you :) x

Hope you don't mind me popping in :), but I wanted to wait until I was twelve weeks for everything, from buying to telling people, but granny and grandpa had other ideas (obviouslly we told them as soon as we found out) As it was meant to be kept quiet, granny couldn't keep it from anyone, (as well as buying stuff asap!) and neither could grandpa telling everyone at his work that he just found out ! And then because they told so many people one of my friends found out, and posted on FB are you pregnant ! I was only 8 weeks, but that was it ! it was out! So make sure anyone you do tell keeps their mouths closed! :lol: xx

Kole you poor love!! Hope you weren't too disappointed? Bless the excitement of the grandparents but tut naughty lol!

I have a friend on FB who never stopped banging on about her preg and now her daughter - it always sounds a bit smug and I get fed up with it. I then feel guilty because she is just excited but I really wish she would have a thought for people who might have a problem TTC or been through MC or something. :rolleyes:

I was faced with a difficult request the other day from my OH. He asked me if i could remove (or hide) a couple of our mutual friends on Facebook (they are work colleagues of his) as he didn't want them to find out from maybe one of my friends posting - i'm just over 11 weeks and haven't made it public yet, just Mum and a few close friends but word will get around soon (big bump is iminent!).

He said he wanted to tell them in his own time. My hormones, i mean I went mental ;) accusing him of not wanting people to know and that he wasn't proud of being a father. Of course, the next day I woke up and realised how badly i'd over reacted and that everyone feels different and has their own way and time frame for announcing, including OHs!

If I had my way i would subtly mention it on FB and look forward to all the messages as I am proud and I want everyone to know :)

I think I'll just say...... "I found out why Weight Watchers wasn't working"

Last edited:
Kole you poor love!! Hope you weren't too disappointed? Bless the excitement of the grandparents but tut naughty lol!

I have a friend on FB who never stopped banging on about her preg and now her daughter - it always sounds a bit smug and I get fed up with it. I then feel guilty because she is just excited but I really wish she would have a thought for people who might have a problem TTC or been through MC or something. :rolleyes:

Not too disappointed, sounds bad but we are used to it! When OH was going to propose to me he only got to tell his dad when he wanted to sit every one down and tell them, but they had already done it for them! So we have just got used to that sort of thing lol, so anything important we keep to outselfs until we are ready :lol: x

Im very early doors so wont be announcing anything for a long time. I think when the time is right I'll phone and visit close friends to tell them. Don't think I'll announce it on facebook straight away, Im sure it'll leak out anyway.

One of my mates was daft enough to mention things in her fb status that added together made it kinda obvious she was pg.... I spoke to her offline and she confirmed it but was only 8 weeks gone.

Someone else actually posted it on her status and I saw that, and I saw her delete it too.

Bit unfortunate....

Lxx

Hi ladies,

Just another perpsective here- I'm not suggesting that anyone is right or wrong, in fact I am a big believer in each to their own!

DH and I met over 8 years ago and finally fell preg and had our LO last year at the grand old age of 30. I announced on fb and didn't feel guilty or like I was boasting and I didn't worry about upsetting or offending anyone who has mc or ttc without success because I wasn't doing anything wrong. I don't think you can live your life not celebrating your happy news just incase other people find it hard to take. Like others have said people can always use the ignore button or defriend you on fb but I would be very surprised if any of my friends would feel that way about my updates and i'd feel sad for them if that was the case but that is their own issue to deal with.

Like I have said we spent years not able to get preg- and we didn't resent anyone else's happiness.

Apologies it this appears as a rant- I don't mean it to but I sometimes get a bit fed up of people not enjoying their lives and celebrating their happiness for fear of upsetting others.

I hope princess won't mind me referring to her here- not only has she recently mc but also lost a sibling within weeks of that and yet she still is able to be happy for the good news of others on here which I believe demonstrates real inner strength and what a decent girl she is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back