Photos on Facebook

pixie17

Reaction score
I have been thinking about the future of my unborn child and the common use of facebook for displaying photos. Does anyone else feel uncomfortable with photos of their children being put on facebook by eager friends and relatives?? I am starting to go down the road of thinking i would rather no one put any photos of my child on facebook without our (me & OH) consent. I know it is a great communicator tool and in this day and age with every being spread so far apart its a great way of keeping up with everyone. However, the privacy controls only go so far. Also you can only control the privacy setting of your own facebook, not that of your friends. I was thinking of setting up a private group with me and my OH in the control seat and invite only those who we think should have permission to see the photos if this is possible.... Lets be honest, we all have friend on FB who we dont really know all that well and.or dont really speak to on a regular basis.

I think i have a duty to protect the privacy of my child. When they are old enough to understand what FB is then they can make their own decision however I am not sure they would thank me for giving 1000's of complete strangers access to their photos year after year. I know I wouldnt thank my parents for it if it was me.

What do other mums/expectant mums think??

People putting pictures of their baby online has always confused me a bit... I'm a natural worrier and think OMG what if a paedophile gets their hands on it... Anything you post online can be accessed some how...

I'm probably going to put a few pictures of my little girl on my facebook when she arrives but will go psycho if anyone else does! I don't know all of my friends friends so why should they be able to see pictures of my little girl.... xx

thanks HappiBean, i totally agree. its nice to know im not being over paranoid!

I'm forever putting pics of my kids on Facebook but everything's private on my account and I've been told you can't see anything if I'm not friends with people. I'm only friends with people I talk to, I deleted everyone I don't know and school friends I don't talk too because I didn't want them seeing pics of charley.
The thing that more annoys me is when in laws tag themselves in my pics of the kids when they don't bother with them in real life!!

Even if they tag the photos, if people aren't friends with you then they can't see the photos that have been tagged with someone else in them. Do that make any sense? Basically, if you put them as friends only, tagged or not, only your friends can see them :)

I swore I wouldnt put loads of photos on, but Ive put a fair few on. Ive changed my profile settings though but a couple of albums are friends of friends so that FOBs family can see the photos but tbh, I think Im going to change them to just friends. Sod it lol.

I know what you mean mel. I'm glad cos there's certain people I don't want to see them.
I keep saying I'm gonna stop putting pics on cos if people wanted to see the kids their see them I'm real life but I still put pics on! x x

We have control over who sees the pictures on our own profile but we dont have control over who sees the photos on friends and relatives profiles. It will be their friends who will be allowed to view and many of those will be complete strangers to us and to our child. This is what i have an issue with.

We have control over who sees the pictures on our own profile but we dont have control over who sees the photos on friends and relatives profiles. It will be their friends who will be allowed to view and many of those will be complete strangers to us and to our child. This is what i have an issue with.

As soon as she's born I'll be making it clear to everyone that they do NOT have my permission to post pictures of MY daughter on their facebooks... x

I don't allow anyone to put pics of the kids on. So far everyone's stuck to it. Tell everyone their not allowed to put pics on x x

Good topic. I don't want family or friends posting pics of my baby on fb at all. I can control who sees my photos on my fb, friends included, but there's zero way that I can control anyone elses privacy or security settings, so people will be getting told politely not to share pics of my baby on fb under any circumstances. x

I agree you wouldn't want any tom dick or harry checking out your pics which is a good enough reason for asking people not to post pics then you have control. But I would hope that the kind of pics pedophiles would be interested in would not be taken and posted on fb by anyone full stop??? I have quite a few of ella on mine, but she's fully clothed in all of them!

It's the "real life" paedophiles who freak me out more than anything.

I must admit me and oh have discussed this, I have quite strong feelings about not posting pics of the baby on the internet, purely because everything put on there can't be removed and we don't know how the internet will be used in the future, what if my baby wants to be a judge or a politician (I hope not tho lol!!) pics I've put on of him as a kid could be used against him, I know that sounds pretty paranoid and probably a bit mad its only fb after all but I kind of have the view that I have a choice over what I post about me but my baby doesn't so I want to protect that until he decides he wants a fb profile!! I have friends who post up 100s of pics of their babies and it is their decision everyone is different, but its not for me :)
A relative of mine posts pics of her grandson, but her son is split up from his partner so only gets the baby on a weekend, some of the pics she's posted have got him in trouble with the babies mum as they've shown his new gf feeding the baby, the babies mum has now cut some of his access, all because his mum put pics on her fb, one more reason to put a foot down about relatives posting pics lol!!!!

i was shocked the other night to see one of my hubbys family members had put a naked pic of there little girl jumping on a bouncy castle on my facebook i have it so secure and would never put pics up like that i said to my hubby that pic could be half way round the world on a pedo website it still gives me shivers

True Amy. I'm always shocked by pics on fb. It also amazes me the way people air all of their dirty laundry on fb, for everyone to see. I'd be so embarrassed if everyone saw me arguing and ranting with people on fb, the mind boggles x

I know wot you mean cos facebook is turning into the new Jeremy kyle show! I only ever use it to keep in touch with people back home whom i am close to i dont believe in having hundreds of "friends" just to make out your popular i have about 20 people on mine and would never ever embarrass myself by broadcasting any issues i have with people on there. but i guess each to there own

Last edited:
I definitely agree. I'm not planning to put any pics of the baby online straight away.

Plus, honestly saying... I'm sure that all babies look beautiful to their mums, but other people might not like pictures of newborn babies so much. And if they don't, I don't want them to look at the picture of my baby and think not nice things!

its going to be a difficult one as a lot of my family take pics of each others kids and put them on facebook. hopefully they will respect my wishes....

I put pictures on facebook all the time of Campbell but I have a lot of family abroad and thats how we keep in touch. I did however remove anyone from my friends list that I 'didnt know' and only have close friends and family on there now. All my albums are also protected xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back