Pushchair!

manda224 said:
im just looking at proper prams that lay flat as i personaly wouldnt put a baby in a stroller so matter how flat they lay (just a personal choice with how sturdy they look ect)
its up to each person what they put there baby in, in their own car there is no right or wrong just personal choice i think
manda xx

i think all strollers designed from birth are sturdy enough to comfotably hold a baby.. most are designed from birth to 4 years.. thats quite a bit of weight they have to hold.. and i bet most of you who buy a big 'proper' pram will end up also getting a stroller within 6 months of the baby being born..

i already have a stroller at my dads (anouther thing hes brought!!)
i dont mind using them when the bby is a bit more sturdy they just aint for me at the start :)
plus i just walk everywhere so size of what im using isnt an issue so i think im lucky there :)
manda xx

strollers are so light and easy to fold down, I can't see me pushing a huge pram around when harry is over 6 months tbh.

Thank god I've already have one child as I'd have believe some of the stuff posted on here before now :roll:

I don't have the lie flat car seat, just the Carrycot that can also be strapped into the car. In all honesty the only reason I got this was because it was part of the deal and I really love the Jane Slalom.

Having looked at the matrix car seat - the only issue I had with it was it was quite heavy for lifting in and out of the car all the time.

i posted my pram pic on pg 2..

i absolutely love it and was so excited when it was delivered, and even practised pushing it around the front room :oops: :lol:

but now ive read all this... it makes me regret buying it!
if i had money then i would go for a better one, but i'm at college and only work part time, we're not very well off so we found that to be cute, cheap, and practical.

so i guess what people are saying is that, to make your baby the safest it can be and for comfort, you need to spend a whole lot more money.
i paid £120 for mine which i thought was really good, but after reading this then i realise that it is good, but only because it's a pile of poo.

if id read reviews from mums who already have kids and who have experience with all different sort of prams, then id probably think twice about choosing the one that i have, but most of us on here are as new to this as each other so i guess we learn for ourself.

*edit to say*

also... speaking to mums of other children who had "proper" prams to start with, they have always gone on to get a simple stroller after a few months because they find the practicality of it so much simpler and easier.
like i said before, my mum got a silvercross when i was born, used it 3 times, and then ended up getting a cheap pushchair that lasted 3 years.

a lot of mums have also chosen a travel system as their second choice so they're can't be that much wrong with them :think: :think: :think:

Sherlock said:
Tillytots said:
Im more than likely going to purchase a pram that is rear facing so that baby can look at my ugly mug when we're out but again, it wont be a carseat.

Awwww Tilly, your baby will be looking at his/her beautiful Mum imho ;) Not an ugly mug in site lady :p

And I love the idea of a sling type thing but worry my boobs simply won't allow baby or me to be comfortable. I always think I need to be a bit more flat chested rather than having these blooming things poking out and getting round corners before me :rotfl:

aww thankyou Sherlock :hug: I can assure you I look rough sometimes though lol! I have this boobage problem too....with them getting round corners before me, either that or they dont make the corner and stay hooked on whatever was I was trying to get around OUCH!! :rotfl:

just wanted to say to kim.. i think your pram is lovely.. and i think you have chosen well..i dont think you need to spend loads on a pram or have what some call a 'proper' pram.. i had one with charlotte and it got right on my nerves..

i wouldnt be scared of putting leah in the carseat.. or that your stroller isnt sturdy enough..i would hate to think others choices and opinions have badgered you into thinking your choice was wrong because its not.. infact if you look at mine and your pram they are practically the same..and i have had a child.. and had experience of several prams.. and specifically chose this one went out and looked for it actually..

and to tillytots.. and sherlock.. i got my sling delivered on saturday.. a pouch sling and i have huuuggee boobies. and it fits lovely..(will fit better without the bump) its the carrier id never get on with these jugs.. lol

Kimbo, we have the same prams too, although mines blue obviously. I could afford a dearer one, but I ask whats the point?

Kimbo said:

i absolutely love it and was so excited when it was delivered, and even practised pushing it around the front room :oops: :lol:

if i had money then i would go for a better one, but i'm at college and only work part time, we're not very well off so we found that to be cute, cheap, and practical.

Awww don't feel bad. You love yours and thats the important thing. It has passed all the safety tests and so on also :)

I don't think its a case of how much you spend but what your needs are. We couldn't go for a 4 wheeler or one without a decent suspension as we live on a farm and its rough going round farm tracks and so on, so we wanted something that suited all our needs from birth to 3/4 years old. The bit about baby lying flat in the car is for me a personal choice. If we have to make a 3 hour drive I'd just rather baby could lie flat than have to sit in a baby carrier and then into a pram at the other end. I liked that I could fix the pram into the frame straight from the car. Same for going to our nearest big town for shopping etc. Its an hours drive and I don't fancy that every week in a baby carrier. *I* worry about the baby's spine at a very young age so wanted to be able to have a lie flat option available for whenever we felt we needed it.

But it was only one factor from a long list for us. We had many others to consider. I've looked after over 20 children over the years, from birth to 16 and tbh, I know what I like and what I believe for myself, so went with what made me happy based on my own experiences with no end of prams and buggys over the years.

I don't think anyone set out to worry anyone either. I don't think anyone was disputing that a car seat was unsafe for a baby in the event of an accident etc.

I think the debate over how long a small baby should be sat upright in a baby carrier is an open one. Most agree that leaving a small baby in one for hours on end is probably not good and should be avoided. That I think was the thing that seemed to get some people stuck and kicked this debate off as to proof and length of time etc. Please don't worry yourself about it overly. I don't fwiw, as it was only one small part of why we are going for this pram system and not the be all and end all.

I'm going to shut up on it now as I don't feel its worth my continuing as I've repeated myself about it being personal choice etc based on no end of reasons :)

Kimbo said:

so i guess what people are saying is that, to make your baby the safest it can be and for comfort, you need to spend a whole lot more money.
i paid £120 for mine which i thought was really good, but after reading this then i realise that it is good, but only because it's a pile of poo.

if id read reviews from mums who already have kids and who have experience with all different sort of prams, then id probably think twice about choosing the one that i have, but most of us on here are as new to this as each other so i guess we learn for ourself.

*edit to say*

also... speaking to mums of other children who had "proper" prams to start with, they have always gone on to get a simple stroller after a few months because they find the practicality of it so much simpler and easier.
like i said before, my mum got a silvercross when i was born, used it 3 times, and then ended up getting a cheap pushchair that lasted 3 years.

a lot of mums have also chosen a travel system as their second choice so they're can't be that much wrong with them :think: :think: :think:

This is getting completely out of hand now.

I've certainly not said that other push chairs are not safe and I'm certainly not advocating that everyone rushes out and spends £600 on a push chair or their little one isn't safe.

We wanted a travel system that we could use without transfering our baby from the car seat to the push chair. We also wanted our baby to be facing us when in the push chair (at least for the first 6 months). Even though we don't plan to drive far, we would possibly be out and about walking for a few hours with our baby in the car seat. The Jane is perfect for us as it's a lay-flat seat that faces us when clipped in and can be used for hours without worry of spine development / breathing problems.

Other travel systems are perfectly safe just as long as you don't leave your little one in them for more than two hours, or ideally, 30 minutes.

I'm not saying that there is an increased risk of harm coming to your baby the second they're strapped into the seat. Only 7% of babies may be affected by traditional seats.

I was hoping just to spread some information so that you may informed choices but this seems to have been misunderstood and taken as scare mongering.

That's not the case. Debbie and I were going to purchase the Urban Detour pushchair from mother care which is £120. It's a great push chair. The only reason we didn't is because I wanted our baby to face us when in the push-chair and that would mean using the car seat for long periods of time which we all agree isn't ideal.

wheres the evidence to suggest that it's not safe to leave your baby in there for longer than two hours :think:

Here's some reading:

http://www.babyworld.co.uk/information/ ... e_flat.asp

The new research isn't about scaring parents into purchasing the latest and greatest lie-flat option, but making them aware of the potential risks involved in using conventional car seats - particularly with newborns (and especially low-birthweight and premature babies). Babies have been transported in infant carriers for years without any problems and there are numerous benefits with using them such as easy transportation, portability, size, convenience and price factor. But, it's important to remember they're a car seat first and not the comfiest place for a baby.

Many health professionals now recommend that babies should never be left in infant carrier for more than two hours and ideally less than one hour. Additionally, the recommendation is that babies, especially newborns should not use an infant carrier for more than two hours in any one day.

MattM said:
This is getting completely out of hand now.

I've certainly not said that other push chairs are not safe and I'm certainly not advocating that everyone rushes out and spends £600 on a push chair or their little one isn't safe.

We wanted a travel system that we could use without transfering our baby from the car seat to the push chair. We also wanted our baby to be facing us when in the push chair (at least for the first 6 months). Even though we don't plan to drive far, we would possibly be out and about walking for a few hours with our baby in the car seat. The Jane is perfect for us as it's a lay-flat seat that faces us when clipped in and can be used for hours without worry of spine development / breathing problems.

Other travel systems are perfectly safe just as long as you don't leave your little one in them for more than two hours, or ideally, 30 minutes.

I'm not saying that there is an increased risk of harm coming to your baby the second they're strapped into the seat. Only 7% of babies may be affected by traditional seats.

I was hoping just to spread some information so that you may informed choices but this seems to have been misunderstood and taken as scare mongering.

That's not the case. Debbie and I were going to purchase the Urban Detour pushchair from mother care which is £120. It's a great push chair. The only reason we didn't is because I wanted our baby to face us when in the push-chair and that would mean using the car seat for long periods of time which we all agree isn't ideal.

hmm.. i think you might need to calm down a little.. i commented on your pram at the start of the thread to give my knowledge on prams.. and as i said i can see your point for getting what you have.. however..

being a travel system owner, and reading some of the comments..that others have made to.. i feel that if i hadnt have had my experience of prams already i would feel like my pram might not meet saftly standards because of the things you and others have said. and i can see kims point of view tbh... this is the 1st time shes bought a pram, and 1st time she is having a child.. and obviously wants the best for her baby to.. the reports that you have posted.. as well as others.. are a little scary.. and i cant blame kim at all for feeling regret for buying the pram she has.. based on rumour.. and opinion.. this was actually what i thought would happen and thats why i said what i did in my 1st post..i think we have just all given our opinions here.. and stated how we have felt.. so lets not have an argument about it..

it is matter of our own personal choices.. i think sometimes people say things without thinking.. and topics are bound to upset people sometimes.. and i think kims reson was pretty valid tbh..

another thing though...

this 30 minutes..

i will be taking Leah in the car with me quite a lot... to visit my dads (20 mins away), visiting shanes family (40-50 mins away)

so if leaving her in the car seat for 30mins + is dangerous, then what can i do?

i'd be better off walking there with her in the pram.... but then again... my prams not sturdy enough to handle the walk, so i cant win :lol:

i didnt mean you matt, i meant what some other people have said

There's no inherit danger with leaving a newborn in a car seat for 30 minutes. I just want to clarify that.

You are fine for an hour, two at the most.

We only chose the Jane because our baby would be in the car seat for more than two hours when we go shopping or walking around town. The lay flat option allows us to do that without worry.

MattM said:
There's no inherit danger with leaving a newborn in a car seat for 30 minutes. I just want to clarify that.

You are fine for an hour, two at the most.

We only chose the Jane because our baby would be in the car seat for more than two hours when we go shopping or walking around town. The lay flat option allows us to do that without worry.

ok. well.. i still have seen no "evidence" of this 2 hrs thing.. although i highly doubt we will journey for 2 hrs very often.. and i have read severaral time why debbie and yourself chose your pram/carseat..

i think that a simple sorry if my opinion scared you would have been enough...

i think in the future people should be carefull with what they class as dangerous.. etc etc..i think this has caused anxiety, just as cot death, smoking and other controversial topics have. and im glad that it has come up.. as it has informed me of other choices that i didnt know were avaliable.. however i shall be sticking to what i have bought.. and still see no problem in taking my travelsystem out for shopping/day trips etc..

I have been reading this thread and i now think its getting a bit out of hand and we should all agree to disagree! We are all entitled to an opinion but as a first time mum myself some of us are getting worried for no reason.

Im not adding my opinion on whats right and wrong all i will say for those of you who can afford £500-£600 pounds on a pram are very lucky and we dont all have the privillage of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back