Pushchair!

Thanks for an explanation Matt :) Much appreciated.

As I said explained earlier it wasn't the safety of a car seat I worried about but the position a small baby has to sit in for extended periods (we often travel 3 hours plus). And as you said Matt, they are not tested for such things but for things like impact etc. I will use a baby car seat for short trips in the car of course, but like you I really like the pram option and being able to leave baby flat where possible and then just transfer onto the buggy frame. Like you this is our first so we don't mind the back seat being taken up with the pram for journeys. I also like that it means you don't have to keep transferring baby from carry seat to pram and can leave them be.

My other concern is that I don't want to use the car seat in the buggy to push baby round in, at least until they are a bit older. I'd prefer a pram for the lie flat option. We live on a farm and its not the easiest place to get around :roll: I wanted to cover all bases with pram, buggy and carry cot.

It wasn't my intention to scare anyone about using a car seat to transport their baby in a car. Some people were looking at the safety factor, when I was looking at comfort and position for varying other reasons also (and I was happy with the safety rating of the Jane set up). It is my personal preference is all in that department, based on what I have been told, found out etc that I use a lie flat travel system where possible especially for longer journeys. Each person has their personal preference for prams/buggys and car seats. Its a personal choice. The lie flat factor in a car wasn't the only reason I decided on getting the Jane set up. I liked many other things about it as I said in earlier posts.

I think its good to discuss and I've learnt a few things today aswell :)

Did you get the plain black one btw Matt and Debbie? I quite like the coal one (why they call it coal when its lime green I shall never know) but hubby likes the Ebory one :roll: The plain black looks smart though :think:

Anyways, let me know how you get on with assembling it and so on as we get ours in the New Year and I can't wait :lol: Hubby is going to have to listen to me sigh happily for weeks then :lol:

at least that has put peoples mind at rest

Sherlock said:
Thanks for an explanation Matt :) Much appreciated.

As I said explained earlier it wasn't the safety of a car seat I worried about but the position a small baby has to sit in for extended periods (we often travel 3 hours plus). And as you said Matt, they are not tested for such things but for things like impact etc. I will use a baby car seat for short trips in the car of course, but like you I really like the pram option and being able to leave baby flat where possible and then just transfer onto the buggy frame. Like you this is our first so we don't mind the back seat being taken up with the pram for journeys. I also like that it means you don't have to keep transferring baby from carry seat to pram and can leave them be.

My other concern is that I don't want to use the car seat in the buggy to push baby round in, at least until they are a bit older. I'd prefer a pram for the lie flat option. We live on a farm and its not the easiest place to get around :roll: I wanted to cover all bases with pram, buggy and carry cot.

It wasn't my intention to scare anyone about using a car seat to transport their baby in a car. Some people were looking at the safety factor, when I was looking at comfort and position for varying other reasons also (and I was happy with the safety rating of the Jane set up). It is my personal preference is all in that department, based on what I have been told, found out etc that I use a lie flat travel system where possible especially for longer journeys. Each person has their personal preference for prams/buggys and car seats. Its a personal choice. The lie flat factor in a car wasn't the only reason I decided on getting the Jane set up. I liked many other things about it as I said in earlier posts.

I think its good to discuss and I've learnt a few things today aswell :)

Did you get the plain black one btw Matt and Debbie? I quite like the coal one (why they call it coal when its lime green I shall never know) but hubby likes the Ebory one :roll: The plain black looks smart though :think:

Anyways, let me know how you get on with assembling it and so on as we get ours in the New Year and I can't wait :lol: Hubby is going to have to listen to me sigh happily for weeks then :lol:

We bought the marine one as seen here: http://www.preciouslittleone.com/acatal ... LOMFM.html

:)

DebbieM said:

I've seen that colour in person along with the Ebory orange and prefer the Marine one for sure. I kind of like the bright colour as it stands out well in a crowd.

I'm still leaning toward the coal lime green one :roll:

Oooo I want one *now* :roll: I'll be patient till the other side of Christmas. We move in the New Year and just think it'll be easier to wait till we have moved already before getting it.

We love the lime green one. We were going to get the dark blue / black one but this one really caught our eye and we fell in love with it straight away.

We don't need it until March but we couldn't really resist waiting any longer for it. :)

As a final word on the 'baby breathing' issue: We wanted a push chair that had a travel system. We want to use the travel system to avoid switching our baby between car seat and push chair. We also wanted Flump to be looking at us when (s)he's in the push chair. The Jane / Matric Cup ticked all those boxes.

There's no need to panic over your car seats. The research is still very new but our friend was very insistent from his own experience with the SCBU that we learn as much as we can about this issue.

i absolutly love the Jane if i had lots of money id have got it haha

We are getting this one

pushchair.jpg

because I will be in and out of the car at least 4 times a day taking and picking my girls up from school ao I really wanted a carrycot that could also be fitted into the car, so then if baby neds a sleep just before I go to the school then I won't have to disturb it to go out, it can stay comfy and safe.

My sister used to leave here babies in a car seat for ages and if they were still sleeping when she went anywhere she would leave them in it and even feed them in it!!!! - I HATED IT!!

muppetmummy said:
I found this about it.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6216892.stm

Seems to say that a small study has shown there may be a risk, but it's nothing to be panicking over :D
this is a newzeland study... and american carseats have different standards... inclines etc etc etc..
so.. personally i am not going to listen to it.. and im also going to specifically ask my midwife on thursday what the true 'advise' is not as

mary70 said:
from what i can see from that report all its saying is that more babies die from cot death in cots than in car seats, so do we all not use cots, scare mongering to sell a product thats all i see sorry
mary has said is scare mongering people into buying products..

this isnt a dig at debbie and matt by the way so please dont see it as being.. i think you are making an informed and well thought out idea.

im a kind of person who doesnt listen to rumour, i want to be shown evidence of anything before i believe it.. like co-sleeping.. wheres the evidence of it being more likly for your baby to die in with you than in a cot by itself..etc etc etc.. that site you linked matt, said that there is no evidence of babys stopping breathing in a car seat.. and the suggested max time is 2hrs but left unatended for more than 30 mins is unadvisable..(personally i cant see many mums leaving a baby in a carseat on its own for 30 mins..) i mean how the hell you cant stop yourself cufddling the little thing il never know..

plus vibrations from car, and being pushed around cause babys to be stimulated to breath by bumps and vibrations..i have seen product recalls in mothercare for carseats, not sure if that is becauyse they have been unsafe in a crash or just for the baby to stay in.. i personally would imagine that there are some specifications that have to be regulated

and i personally chose a seet that is quite layed back.

Im not going to go into the ins and outs and dont of travel systems.

But i wanted to state that i love mine, and with my carseat i can actually push it so my baby is laying down in it and not sitting up and being able to get her out of the car and inot the pram without disturbing her is brilliant.
And with this fooking cold weather being able to push the hood over her to keep her warm is a god send.

I wouldnt have another type of pram.

Ilove yours btw matt and debbie, your LO will be very comfy in there!!!

I ordered the Jane Slalom with the Auto Carrycot from ebay at the weekend. Brand new, from a shop - just in last years colours (it's red). The Auto Carrycot can be strapped in the car across 2 seats. Was looking at getting the matrix cup car seat but so this offer and just had to get it. £329 with free postage!!! Saving over £100 on this years colours :D

Can't wait to get it - and to be honest at that price I could order the car seat and still save money!!!

We are getting the Jane Carrera with Matrix lie flat car seat in the same green/ blue colours - love i and can't wait till we can get it!

oh.. can i just ask to.. this lay flat car seat is an actual car seat? not a pram attachment? cant see its appeal if it is a carseat.. a friend of mine used to put ehr baby in the carrycot on back seat.. i dont understand how they are safe at all? if someone can fill me in id appreciate it .. ta xx

The matrix cup seat has a 3 point harness much the same as a traditional car seat. It also has a head bumper to prevent their heads from moving while in transit.

The picture below shows the matrix cup in the declined position and the incline position. The incline position has the hood removed and shows the harnesses and head bumper.

matrix%20cup%20detail.jpg

Here's the matrix cup attached to the frame:

2495-H16.jpg

Hmm interesting thread. I still havent chosen my pushchair yet.

I wont be using a carseat with a travel system because it not only looks uncomfy but when babies spines are in rapid development I think its better if they are lying flat in the first few months. I cant quote any scientific evidence to support this as Im just using common sense on this one and havent looked into the ins and outs of it. Im more than likely going to purchase a pram that is rear facing so that baby can look at my ugly mug when we're out but again, it wont be a carseat.

I dont actually drive so wont be using a carseat all that often, with the odd exception but if I did I wouldnt be leaving a baby to sleep in it. I really dont understand why people do? Why not take baby out and lay him/her in a moses or play mat etc when you're at home...?

If I dont have much shopping to get Il be strapping baby to my chest.Its the idea I like the most.

thats the same as my thoughts sarah :)
the only time my baby will be in a carseat will be in my dads car (which i currently go in about once a fortnight to see him)
a taxi (proberly never lol) and in my mums car (about once a month)
so the carseat issue isnt a big deal for me
im just looking at proper prams that lay flat as i personaly wouldnt put a baby in a stroller so matter how flat they lay (just a personal choice with how sturdy they look ect)
its up to each person what they put there baby in, in their own car there is no right or wrong just personal choice i think
manda xx

I think that is the one I want to but want to see it in the flesh before I order it. I like the fact baby can lie down properly.

lisa&alex said:
oh.. can i just ask to.. this lay flat car seat is an actual car seat? not a pram attachment? cant see its appeal if it is a carseat.. a friend of mine used to put ehr baby in the carrycot on back seat.. i dont understand how they are safe at all? if someone can fill me in id appreciate it .. ta xx

Matt has shown you the Matrix which converts into a seat from laying flat.

There is also a proper lay flat pram that can be used in the car also and goes onto the frame of the buggy. I linked to the makers site somewhere earlier in the thread :)

There are many other reasons we are getting a Jane, the appeal of the lay flat option was only one of many boxes it ticked for me. Its the only one I've really liked the look and feel of, it has inflatable tyres and suspension (ideal for us on a farm) and a few other features we like. Other buggys and prams simply didn't stack up when we compared them and our needs.

Tillytots said:
Im more than likely going to purchase a pram that is rear facing so that baby can look at my ugly mug when we're out but again, it wont be a carseat.

Awwww Tilly, your baby will be looking at his/her beautiful Mum imho ;) Not an ugly mug in site lady :p

And I love the idea of a sling type thing but worry my boobs simply won't allow baby or me to be comfortable. I always think I need to be a bit more flat chested rather than having these blooming things poking out and getting round corners before me :rotfl:

I must admit I don't see any issue with the normal ones, paris was fine in hers for longer trips. I just think this post has worried people tbh

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back