Pushchair!

Are you back yet Debbie & Matt? :cheer:

I have a feeling I'm going to be a pram addict like my sister!

I bought the Jane Slalom with the matrix carseat/carrycot and I love it!
It is very big, but not as heavy as some 3 wheelers. I live in a small town in the country so a pushchair with small wheels wouldn't be very practical for me, never get on a bus either so that's not an issue.
We'll probably get a cheap umbrella fold stroller as well once babys a bit older for the rare occassion when we go shopping in Aberdeen city centre.

That package is a good price Debbie, and I love the colour :D

well i have a
mypram.jpg

and my baby will be going in the carseat on the pram.. i have been looking for 20 mins for an article on how long a baby can stay in a carseat safly for.. and guess what.. i cant find one..lol

my midwife or doctor never told me baby shouldn't be in the car seat for more than xyz amount of time.. tbh.. i dont think charl was ever in hers for more than half an hour between changes.. feeding etc.. however.. if travel systems were unsafe they wouldnt sell them.. forgive me for saying this if it wasnt ment... but i am a little concerned that others ideas on what is safe and not safe may upset others.. and make them think.. omg is my pram and carseat wrong for my baby.. when it really isnt..

i mean everyone of course will have their ideas on what is best, right wrong etc etc..personally if my carseat was unsafe i wouldnt be putting my baby in it.. and i said to people when my pram was delivered that this carseat is massive compared to charlottes.

if someone has evidence/study/research on the carseat time thing can they post it please.. as ive never heard of it. thanks

WHERE'S MY FOOKING PUSHCHAIR!!!!????? :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: AND NO!!!! DH hasn't got round to asking for the money back.. because apparently they've sent it again :roll:

I don't think I like the idea of using a pram as a "car seat" though (personally speaking) ... I mean if there was an accident... alright the pram part would stay still but inertia means the baby would be thrown around inside the pram... Even if there was straps to strap the baby down... they'd be nothing to support its little wobbly head in there :think: .. there are at least sides on a car seat :think: Just my personal feelings on practicality..

TBH I don't think car seats should be used as chairs for babies full stop...babies always look so cramped in them, but then for car journey's its important that they care completely secure. Car seats stay in the car in my household... . The tiny car seats they aren't in for five minutes so within a few weeks you are going to need to buy a bigger car seat and well they aren't so easily transported :roll: :rotfl: Our pushchair (apparently because I ain't seen it yet have I :wall: ) has a car seat, but the pushchair can be used from 0 months... so car seat will remain strapped in the car, pushchair will be used for the baby... or sling... I love my slings.. BABY WEARING ALL THE WAY :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Squiglet said:
WHERE'S MY FOOKING PUSHCHAIR!!!!????? :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: AND NO!!!! DH hasn't got round to asking for the money back.. because apparently they've sent it again :roll:

I don't think I like the idea of using a pram as a "car seat" though (personally speaking) ... I mean if there was an accident... alright the pram part would stay still but inertia means the baby would be thrown around inside the pram... Even if there was straps to strap the baby down... they'd be nothing to support its little wobbly head in there :think: .. there are at least sides on a car seat :think: Just my personal feelings on practicality..

TBH I don't think car seats should be used as chairs for babies full stop...babies always look so cramped in them, but then for car journey's its important that they care completely secure. Car seats stay in the car in my household... . The tiny car seats they aren't in for five minutes so within a few weeks you are going to need to buy a bigger car seat and well they aren't so easily transported :roll: :rotfl: Our pushchair (apparently because I ain't seen it yet have I :wall: ) has a car seat, but the pushchair can be used from 0 months... so car seat will remain strapped in the car, pushchair will be used for the baby... or sling... I love my slings.. BABY WEARING ALL THE WAY :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

You still not got that pushchair yet :shock: you will of had this baby by time it arrives :rotfl: i hate it when you order something and it never arrives :evil:

Just for Lisa

http://children.webmd.com/news/20061207 ... ch-infants

It appears that it's only dangerous to leave your baby in the seat unattended while sleeping and not driving... which as I said before... Car seat = for the car.. if you want to transport your LO outside of the car, it goes in a flat lying pushchair, sling or pram... If you want to bring it inside... then take the seat, but take the baby out and either put it on the floor, crib, playpen, bouncer etc...

Although the study doesn't state how long the baby needs to be in there.... it does say an extended period of time, and I know many new mothers who bring their sleeping newborns in from the car and leave them sleeping in the seats till they wake up... :roll: and its this, not the actual using a car seat that causes problems.

Bloom said:
You still not got that pushchair yet :shock: you will of had this baby by time it arrives :rotfl: i hate it when you order something and it never arrives :evil:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I've come to the conclusion that if I wait... when the pushchair arrives, my daughter can give it to her daughter for her kids... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

theres no research from the uk though that states any child has stopped breathing in a carseat, i looked into infant death in carseat and all of the ones i could be bothered to look at.. even bbc reports were from abroad..so.. as far as im concerned ours are save.. innocent untill proven guilty imo... and baby pullin will be going in its carseat out for walks..

I just wanted to pitch in and say that we chose the Jane with the matrix cup seat because the baby can lay flat, just as Sherlock has explained.

A friend on mine recently had a daughter and just before she was born she ingested some meconium. She spent a few days in the SCBU with breathing troubles. It is the policy of the SCBU here to check the oxygen saturation levels of the baby in her car seat before they're allowed home.

The car seat they chose wasn't allowing her to breathe properly so they had to swap it for another. They explained to him that most rear facing car seats do not allow a newborn to breathe properly when used for a period of time.

He has sent me a lot of information on this so that we may make an informed decision.

All car seats sold in the UK are, of course, NCAP rated and approved. This means that they offer an adequate level of protection for your baby in the event of an accident. Currently, there is no provision to ensure good oxygenation for your baby.

The whole point of a travel system is to enable you to safely transfer your baby from the car to the push chair without having to physically handle them. This means that they could spend hours in the car seat which just isn't good for their health.

The push chair we have chosen allows our baby to lay flat, securely (and it does have a head 'bumper' to make sure they're snug) so that we can simply unclip the seat belts and lift the carry cot onto the frame.

Of course, we have no other children so we don't mind that the back seat is taken up with the carry cot.

The matrix cup seat can also be adjusted to make it a more traditional car seat for when they are 6 months and older.

matrix_fuxia.jpg

Here is some more information: http://www.carseatinfo.co.uk/index.cfm? ... pid=292366

We didn't want to cause alarm but we do think it is something to seriously consider if you plan to have your newborn in a rear facing car seat either in the car or clipped onto your pushchair.

theres no research from the uk though that states any child has stopped breathing in a carseat, i looked into infant death in carseat and all of the ones i could be bothered to look at.. even bbc reports were from abroad..so.. as far as im concerned ours are save.. innocent untill proven guilty imo... and baby pullin will be going in its carseat out for walks..

Most of the research has been conducted in America. However, by and large, American babies are built the same as UK babies so the research is valid. :)

Unless your baby has any issues with breathing, they will be perfectly safe in a normal car seat just as long as they aren't left in for more than 30 minutes.

The problem is that it completely bypasses the point of a travel system. Most people purchase a travel system so they can take the car seat from the car and attach it to their pushchair.

from what i can see from that report all its saying is that more babies die from cot death in cots than in car seats, so do we all not use cots, scare mongering to sell a product thats all i see sorry

We decided to get the matrix cos we live just over 30 minutes drive from Aberdeen, so baby would have reached it's maximum time in the carseat before we even reached our destination.

It will also be useful if we decide to drive down to Devon to visit my family while babys' still young.

I know so many people who have used their carseat on the travel system when they haven't even had to use the car. I think a lot of people like them cos it means the baby can face them. I think that's the problem, the length of time the babies are in the seat. It's only recently that people are being made aware of the maximum time recommendation, I don't remember being told any time limits when James was a baby (I didn't have a travel system anyway back then cos I couldn't afford one)

well Hannah went down to newquay at 4 weeks old 7 hour drive and hasnt done her any harm and i used it on the pram while out and about and she was prem and in scbu so wonder she ever survived

James stopped breathing when he was 6 days old, luckily I was breast feeding him at the time so I noticed. (If it had happened in his cot at night he would have died). Some babies will just stop breathing wherever they are :(

mary70 said:
from what i can see from that report all its saying is that more babies die from cot death in cots than in car seats, so do we all not use cots, scare mongering to sell a product thats all i see sorry

I think you're missing the point. The term 'cot death' is widely used to cover any sudden infant death.

The agreed 'best' position for your baby is on her back, as if she were in a cot. This is what a lay-flat car seat achieves.

We are making an informed choice, nothing more. The Jane with the Matrix cup seat best suit our needs. My family live about 3 hours away from us so if we did want to visit them then we can do so safely.

i couldnt agree more hun and i think this just needs putting into perspective, a pram will Not cut the risk of anything happening to your baby or their would be goverment warnings on them, people get prams for all different reasons and i think this post just started off wrong and has ended up something it never started off to be, so all i can say is it is a beautiful pram and i am sure your baby will be really happy in it.

I dont understand, does this mean that baby shouldnt be in a rear facing car seat for more than 30mins :think: what if you need to travel on longer journeys?

And that the car seat that I have isnt adequate for a newborn baby as it doesnt lie completely flat? :?

your car seat will be fine hun dont worry and they will be fine in it for alot longer than 30 mins on a car journey

mary70 said:
your car seat will be fine hun dont worry and they will be fine in it for alot longer than 30 mins on a car journey

Thanks hun I thought as much!

Surely they wouldnt sell these car seats if they we'rent completely safe & they would come with warnings if any of the above was a serious risk? :? They wouldnt be allowed to sell these car seats if they we'rent safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back