Pushchair!

DebbieM

Reaction score
We're off to buy our pushchair this morning and we are SOOOOOOOOOO excited :D

just wanted to say.. make sure you definatly get on with the pram 1st.. its very expensive.. and if your anything like most women.. will get sick of it being quite a big pram, also if you intend on doing a lot of shopping the one bar handles are useless.. its better to have 2 handles as theres nowhere to put shopping bags..

personally i would never buy one of those again.. i had a simualr.. but cheaper one with charlotte.. and ended up not using it after about 4 months and it was so bloody heavy, i ended up getting a cheap stroller.. this time ive gone for a travel system..
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... W2Dg&prev=

that is a stroller with a large car seat on it.. it is sturdy enough to last 4 years.. but is as light as a stroller..also folds flat.. there are a lot of this you need to think about when purchasing a pram.. and i know a lot of women go for something that looks nice.. and dont think of the practicalitys..

good luck whatever you decide.. and i wanted to post this for other women maybe wanting advise about prams..

Tried it, thought about it loads and we love it :D

And one of the main reasons for going for this is to do with the saturation levels of the baby when in the car seat. It's quite scary if you look into what putting your child into a car seat can do to it's breathing.

Until very recently, we were going for this:

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B0 ... 8&mcb=core

Cheap, I know it's good and I know this as I bought one for my sister but there is no proof available that the car seat is really any good and I want my baby to be as safe as possible in all ways.

I'm not going solely on looks. I was going for a plain black one at first after all LOL. In fact, I didn't even like the Jane when I first saw it but the more I read, the better it was and then I tested it. :D

all carseats in britan have to go through testing and regulations.. hence why its not advised to get a 2nd hand car seat as the regulations change from year to year..if the testing failed and the incline of the seat was to high and caused babys to stop breathing they wouldnt be on the market.
this is just for others who might think omg.. is my carseat dangerous for my baby as i cant find any reviews.. if it was dangerous.. it wouldnt be on the market.. good luck today debbie with your purchase. have a good time

have fun buggy shopping, i love buying buggies.

but i have to agree with lisa, if car seats were unsafe they wouldnt sell em in this country, we have quite high safety standards when it comes to kids things.

i think as long as u dont keep baby in car seat all day like people have done in the past it be fine.

i wudnt rely on reviews, and they never seem to be the same opinion as myself

Morning :wave: ,

Have fun getting your pram, it looks fab!

My chosen pram has one handle too, but you can get a pack of shopping bag hooks for about £1.50 in mothercare and they do the trick.

Were going for the same one as you Debbie. I worry about a small baby being sat in an upright position for too long in a car seat and then round the shops and wanted something that baby can lie flat in while in the car.

We also do lots of off road walking, less round towns and live on a farm so something like the Jane suits all our needs. Also the proper pram (not the one that doubles as a car seat) is big enough to allow little one to nap in in the day if need be. A 3 wheeler was an absolute must for us and also one with a decent suspension and that a pram would fit well on to.

The last small baby I looked after, her Mum told me that she started to get really miserable every time she got put in the baby car seat and also got a sore spot on her back where her nappy pressed into her if she sat in it too long. But then they would drive 3 hours or push her round in it for hours. No wonder the little thing was miserable and uncomfortable stuck sitting more upright instead of laying flat. I explained she needed to be lying flat in those early months for various reasons but it seemed to fall on deaf ears :( I would always take her pram with us when we went out and kept the car seat use to a minimum. I never had the same problems as her Mum did :think:

The Jane Slalom Pro is a first in that it has the pram for lying flat in the car. Its passed all the safety tests and seems to rate highly in them. I also loved the feel of it and the manouvrebility also.

And to jump in and reply to something others have mentioned, I also don't think the issue with upright baby carriers is with the safety more with the postion a small baby is in for periods of time. Its not good for spine or breathing to be stuck in a curved position when small. It can be the safest car seat in the world but its still not meant for baby to be sat in for hours at a time when small. That was my main concern when deciding on a pram and buggy.

i dont understand, can u use the carry cot as a car seat? :think: or am i being silly? :oops:

pram shoppin is soooooooooo xciting - hav fun x

mummykay said:
i dont understand, can u use the carry cot as a car seat? :think: or am i being silly? :oops:

Yup you can :) It lies flat across the back seat. You can see a demo on the Jane website Click here for demo etc and it shows you how its fitted and how baby is secured.

They do 2 prams, one that also folds up into an infant car seat and can lie flat also (but not as roomy as the proper pram) and call it a Matrix. The full on pram is lie flat only and called the Carrycot Pro.

wow thanks for that Sherlock, thats very clever!

def something to consider for the future!! :lol:

i understand whats being said, but we have 2 kids and its not practical to use the whole back seat for a pram, we have a pram that can be fitted to the seat belts, its the navetta from m&p and its been around a few years now.

but im aggreeing with lisa, that a "normal" car seat as just as safe if used within reason as a car seat. i dont agre with them being stuck on a buggy and used as a travel system because its not good for baby.

just think you may be making some unsure people worry that their car seats they've got for their babys wont be good enough.

we try not to keep baby in car for any long journeys, 20mins max, and then we used a real pram, so baby can lie flat and sleep in comfort.

paradysso said:
but im aggreeing with lisa, that a "normal" car seat as just as safe if used within reason as a car seat. i dont agre with them being stuck on a buggy and used as a travel system because its not good for baby.

just think you may be making some unsure people worry that their car seats they've got for their babys wont be good enough.

we try not to keep baby in car for any long journeys, 20mins max, and then we used a real pram, so baby can lie flat and sleep in comfort.

O for sure a normal car seat is safe for travelling. I wasn't disputing that side of it either. I just like the thought of being able to travel longer distances (as we need to sometimes) with the baby being able to lie flat rather than sat up. Otherwise its as you said much shorter journeys and stay closer to home those first months. Our nearest big town is almost an hours drive for example. Not ideal to sit up both ways on that journey I feel.

Alas I know of some people who use their baby car seats for long periods of time not only in the car but outside of it, and that is where my concerns come in for myself with a baby, I'd want them to lie flat as much as possible. Its the position and breathing side of things that worries me then. Car seats are not meant for longer periods of use in those early months is my understanding, so I want to try to avoid that for my own baby. This being our first I'm happy to go for something like the Jane as I feel it will work for us for at least two kiddies, all being well.

I've got the Hauck Jet 6 travel system, which is a pushcair and car seat.

i won't be using the car seat in with the pram as i think it looks too cramped in there and would also like the baby to be laid down while in the pram, so will be getting a cosy toes so she can lie down in it when i put the back rest down.

I will just be using the car seat for the car and not with the travel system.

i've been told its not very sturdy and probably won't last long, because once you get shopping bags and everything onto it, then its very weak to hold all the weight....

but i drive so i won't be trying to get it on and off buses and walking long distances with it or whatever.
it's very light too so perfect for getting in and out of the car.

my mum got a big gorgeous silver cross pram when i was born, and she said she only used it 2 or 3 times and then ended up selling it because she found it too hard to manage, and too big... so they got me a cheap buggy instead and it lasted them for 3 years.

i only paid £120 for this travel system, so it's not breaking the bank and i don't think i will get fed up of it because it's so lightweight and easy to handle.

this is it....

pram2-1.jpg

pram1-1.jpg

yeah i get where your coming from, just didnt want any new mums worrying.

we also live in the country and have ages to travel for big town, not that im complaining. i will just stick to online shopping for a while hehe :dance:

forgot to say.... i absolutely love it aswell :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back