Pushchair!

DebbieM said:
This thread just makes me want to cry. How did a simple, happy comment:

DebbieM said:
We're off to buy our pushchair this morning and we are SOOOOOOOOOO excited :D

turn into this for crying out loud.

Whether Matt and I choose to spend £100 or £600 on a travel system is none of anyone elses business. It shouldn't matter. Neither of us ever said that a £100 system/pushchair is unsafe and that you HAVE to spend obscene amounts of money.

Lisa, you could have replied initially stating that the system was nice or whatever, you chose to try and advise us into looking into other aspects of the pushchair which I then pointed out that we had done so and part of our purchase was based on saturation levels of a baby in a car seat which IS proven - call Peterborough SCBU and they will explain all if you still for whatever reason don't believe Matt told the truth. We're lucky. We only know about this as we have a friend whose baby was not allowed to leave the SCBU in the car seat her parents had bought for her, again, as explained by Matt.

Fact is, we've bought our pushchair. We love it. Neither of us blasphemed anyone elses purchases in any way at all. I like all the pushchairs here but this was our choice and we're happy.

yes i did give you advise.. and if you wish not to take it its up to you.. i said in the begining.. make sure its definatly what you want.. and this was because i have been there and wasted money on a big pram.. and hated it.. and i know many many other mothers have to.. so i was just HELPING.. or so i thought..

i also said that this advise was for other people who might need/want it..i have said that your pram is a good choice for you..

and actually im afriad to say that matts posts about o2 saturation and infant death statistics in a 'notmal' carseat have frightened some mums to be. infact if i hadnt had the experience of already being a mum i think i would be to frightened to use my car seat.. untill i actually looked into the links he provided.. and prooved there was no advise from infant death foundation stating any problems with normal carseats.

you may count yourselves as lucky.. to be able to afford your pram and have the knowledge of your friends baby.. but personally i dont see my knowledge or pram as dangerous.. and neither should any other mums. also debbie and matt.. you may not have said normal carseats are dangerous.. however the links you have provided have said that xyz% of babies could be in danger.. or xyz% of babys have died as a result of being in a normal carseat.. i think if someone had said to you guys onn your carseat could do this you might be a little upset to. jsut something to bear in mind.. that is why we have asked to be shown evidence.. and have debated what is safe and what is not..

im glad you are happy with your purchase.. and i wish that kim hadnt seen this thread.. perhaps other mums to be are now frightened to use their carseats because of it.. thats all i was trying to say. and that is the reason i have carried on posting because the evidence that has been put forward is a load of crap.. and i wanted to undo the work that matts evidence has done.

the advise of The Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths UK is here. and this is what im taking and passing on.

http://www.fsid.org.uk/faq-current-topics.html#carseat here are some frequently asked questions...

Is it okay for my baby to sleep in a car seat?
We are not aware of any evidence which shows an increased risk of cot death for babies in car seats. Our advice however is that the safest place for your baby to sleep – both during the day for naps and during the night – is in a crib, cot or Moses basket in a room with you for the first six months. It is important to check on your baby regularly when she is asleep. If your baby is being transported in a car, she should be carried in a properly designed and fitted car seat, facing backwards, and be observable by a competent adult. Be careful that your baby doesn’t get too hot and remove hats and outdoor coats when you get in the car. On long car journeys, stop for breaks for fresh air and a drink for your baby. Premature babies who may slump need particular care when travelling in a car seat.

this was never ment to have been an argument on my front.. not sure if it was on either yours or matts either.. i have noticed your very 1st reply to mine was quite blunt.. and matt has not said sorry for upsetting kim..

however.. can we not let this get personal.. it doesnt matter about anyones personal situation/money etc etc etc.. noone should have to feel good or bad about what they can afford to buy.. what they cant etc.. all uk carseats are safe if you follow the instructions and watch over your child.

We never mentioned money in the first place Lisa which is what you now keep referring to. I don't care how much anything costs. Had the Jane been a £50 system, we'd still have gone for it, NONE of this comes down to money and that's not what we have ever, ever, ever said.

Matt has never said "your baby is going to die in it's car seat if you buy a less than £600 travel system"!!

I don't think you took his comments as they were meant and decided that he was trying to say that you need to spend an unsightly amount of money to have something safe to put your baby into.

As I said previously, we were going for the £150 Urban Detour from Mothercare until very recently and then changed our minds. Had we not found the Jane and fallen in love with it, we would STILL be buying the UD now.

Matt has backed up his statements with links and quotes. I don't really know what more you want. He told you specifically what happened in a SCBU unit here where we live. He didn't lie. He didn't go scaremongering. He was simply passing on information. It was NOT to do with your baby DYING in a car seat, you mis-read that. This whole thing is to do with saturation levels dropping when baby's are in *SOME* car seats, *SOME* that is, and that it MAY cause breathing problems such as asthma in later life.

I'm not going to say any more on this. I posted a thread because I was excited about getting our pushchair. I feel you ruined it. I'm here to make friends, gain and give advice where necessary and generally enjoy pregnancy with others.

I think Lisa's points are very valid and she said it wasn't personal.

mummykay said:
same with Mike - even now! :lol:

u men love pushing prams :lol: :lol:

Yes, it's true! I've spent the last three years or so pushing around one of my nephews and I'm really looking forward to pushing our own baby. :D

lisa&alex said:
and actually im afriad to say that matts posts about o2 saturation and infant death statistics in a 'notmal' carseat have frightened some mums to be. infact if i hadnt had the experience of already being a mum i think i would be to frightened to use my car seat.. untill i actually looked into the links he provided.. and prooved there was no advise from infant death foundation stating any problems with normal carseats.

im glad you are happy with your purchase.. and i wish that kim hadnt seen this thread.. perhaps other mums to be are now frightened to use their carseats because of it.. thats all i was trying to say. and that is the reason i have carried on posting because the evidence that has been put forward is a load of crap.. and i wanted to undo the work that matts evidence has done.

this was never ment to have been an argument on my front.. not sure if it was on either yours or matts either.. i have noticed your very 1st reply to mine was quite blunt.. and matt has not said sorry for upsetting kim..

Sorry, but I see that as personal and more of demanding Matt apologises for putting forward information.

hiya debbie..

sorry but you just said if you hadn't of found this new pram and fallen in love with it, then you would still be buying the mothercare one... but on page 1 you said the reason you didn't go for it was because you didn't think the car seat was safe.

Cheap, I know it's good and I know this as I bought one for my sister but there is no proof available that the car seat is really any good and I want my baby to be as safe as possible in all ways.

there is proof that the car seat is good... and the proof is that it's actually being sold, and being sold by mothercare who are known worldwide.

so really, if you hadn't of found this pram, then you wouldn't be buying the mothercare one due to it being scary to put your baby in that sort of seat.

It's quite scary if you look into what putting your child into a car seat can do to it's breathing.

there are some good points in this thread... and it did worry me to think i've bought a travel system with this type of "scary" carseat.

im not even going into the money thing... cba.. i think ive stated you dont need loads of money to bring up a child.

It's quite scary if you look into what putting your child into a car seat can do to it's breathing.
sorry but comments like this and the links have scared people..

if you re-read over what i have said in the beginning i think you will find i have said.. good luck.. and have a nice day.. also that i put the info there for OTHER people.

if i have ruined your thread for you then so be it.. sorry.. but atleast i have shown that 'normal' carseats which is what most people will have or will be getting arnt dangerous..

also matt said
Other travel systems are perfectly safe just as long as you don't leave your little one in them for more than two hours, or ideally, 30 minutes.
this is complete rubbish.. and its annoyed me that matt has quoted things when he has no actual knowledge of prams directly.. just what he has read or heard.. you cant go telling people things like this! when the infomation isnt true. and also on page 6 if you look into the links i have provided (which i got off matts sites) it will also show that matts statements are false.. and in my opinion.. needed dis-prooving.

tbh.. i dont think i need to say anymore on the matter.. i said lets not get personal.. it seems you want it to be. i think if matt had been a big enough man and jsut said sorry if he has scared anyones by his sites then i think all would have been forgotten.. it has carried on because you both are still trying to proove yourselves right.. when im sorry but your not..

if i have upset you then i am sorry. however i must justify my actions and words by saying i did it because you have worried and upset others. including myself untill i researched it.

one more thing then i'm leaving it..

like i said the other day, i am really happy with my pram and love it to bits..
but to be informed that my car seat isn't all that safe, and that its too weak and not "sturdy" enough, (said by other people, so not getting at just you Debbie & Matt), then it makes me feel a bit sh!t to be honest.
and like i said, other people have said that to me so it's not just you 2 that I am getting at.

Kimbo said:
hiya debbie..

sorry but you just said if you hadn't of found this new pram and fallen in love with it, then you would still be buying the mothercare one... but on page 1 you said the reason you didn't go for it was because you didn't think the car seat was safe.

Cheap, I know it's good and I know this as I bought one for my sister but there is no proof available that the car seat is really any good and I want my baby to be as safe as possible in all ways.

there is proof that the car seat is good... and the proof is that it's actually being sold, and being sold by mothercare who are known worldwide.

so really, if you hadn't of found this pram, then you wouldn't be buying the mothercare one due to it being scary to put your baby in that sort of seat.

[quote:tt64c527]It's quite scary if you look into what putting your child into a car seat can do to it's breathing.

there are some good points in this thread... and it did worry me to think i've bought a travel system with this type of "scary" carseat.[/quote:tt64c527]

I would still be buying it, had we not found the Jane. I said it is scary, I'd not looked into the sat levels on the UD but knowing the Slalom had been reviewed and came up as one of the *better* ones, we went for that. Had the Jane been ugly, I'd still have settled for the Urban Detour.

Seriously, are we still going around in circles on this? :doh:

Here is a portion of the email my friend sent to me regarding this, back in September.

We had to spend 4 days in PMU/SCBU, which was very stressful but as it turned out it may well have saved her life, as when she was born she passed meconium and she decided she was hungry so ate some, [...] and as a result she had to go into SCBU for 3 days on antibiotics and be monitored.

Before they discharge you from SCBU they want to monitor the baby in its car seat (Britax Cosy Tot) for an hour and a half to make sure they maintain enough oxygen in there blood, (Google reveals that in the USA they test every baby in every car seat) but when they tested her, her stats went down to 80% oxygen in her blood (This was why she was admitted to SCBU in the first place), so we had to take the car seat back to Kiddicare and get it changed, which they did without fuss, not bad considering we had it for about 4 months and had no packaging, we brought a Jane Matrix Pro which SCBU recommended as its a lay flat car seat. Apparently (Again google research) this is only a problem for about 7% of babies but when you read about some of the problems associated with this it makes you think about how many other babies are in potentially dangerous car seats.

Kim, my intention was not to scare you. I've explained several times that we only chose the Jane over the MotherCare Urban Detour because we would want to use the car seat on the frame for possibly more than two hours a time.

I've said over and over again that the MotherCare pushchair is a safe and reliable pushchair. I would just be uncomfortable using it for extended periods as a travel system knowing what I've read.

If you want to ignore it or you think it's not an issue, t hen that's absolutely fine. I'm not on a crusade to the put the world to rights. I've just been trying to explain our choice in pushchair although I really don't think anyone is understanding a word I'm typing! :pray:

Kimbo said:
one more thing then i'm leaving it..

like i said the other day, i am really happy with my pram and love it to bits..
but to be informed that my car seat isn't all that safe, and that its too weak and not "sturdy" enough, (said by other people, so not getting at just you Debbie & Matt), then it makes me feel a bit sh!t to be honest.
and like i said, other people have said that to me so it's not just you 2 that I am getting at.

Honestly Kim. You have nothing to worry about or feel sh1t about. Your pushchair and car seat are gorgeous. I love them. No-one has sat here and googles every single car seat that has been produced and your baby is not at risk of anything happening to her because of the pushchair you have. Don't be worrying! :hug:

DebbieM said:
Kimbo said:
hiya debbie..

[quote:n13u80w3]It's quite scary if you look into what putting your child into a car seat can do to it's breathing.

there are some good points in this thread... and it did worry me to think i've bought a travel system with this type of "scary" carseat.

I WOULD still be buying it Lisa, had we not found the Jane. I said it is scary, I'd not looked into the sat levels on the UD but knowing the Slalom had been reviewed and came up as one of the *better* ones, we went for that. Had the Jane been ugly, I'd still have settled for the Urban Detour.[/quote:n13u80w3]

i didnt say that..if you re-read it debbie..

and im not reading anymore emails/articles about this matt, thanks anyways. im dissapointed its come to an argument. im always up for a good debate, i still stand by saying you have made a good choice of pram/carseat for yourselves.. and dont feel you need to carry on justifying why you bought it.
again i will say the reason i have pushed for answers to what you have put forward is to find the truth,

i feel it has been found. and again normal carseats are safe if you follow the guidelines.

It's not an article, it's a portion of an email my friend sent to me.

When I took James home from SCBU after his apnea episodes, I took him home in a Britax Cosy tot! The staff didn't say anything about it (though it was almost 5 years ago). I would happily put the new baby in a britax cosy tot this time, I just decided to go with a lie flat seat so I don;t have to worry about the baby being in it too long. When I get back from the school run I can take the baby indoors in the matrix if it's asleep without having to wake it up cos it will be totally flat.

Matt and Debbie are just passing on a bit of info they've come cross. It's up to the individual whether they choose to let it influence their carseat choice.

Regular carseats aren't dangerous, it's just not recommended that babies stay in them for longer than needed. If you have to go on a long journey, the baby is still gonna be safer in your regular carseat than it would with no carseat.

I personally am not taking the risk, but I admit I'm overworried because of what happened to James (which was nothing at all to do with any carseat, he had an infection), it's just made me paranoid. I'm also getting a monitor with a movement sensor which you definately do not need, it will just make me feel better cos I'm really feel really edgy about the baby stopping breathing. It's been playing on my mind recently though I know there's no reason why the same thing would happen again. It's just me being silly really, I'm just being over cautious

I hope no one falls out over this thread :hug: :hug: :hug:

Matt and Debbie are just passing on a bit of info they've come cross. It's up to the individual whether they choose to let it influence their carseat choice.

Thank you! That's all we were trying to do!

I know I can go on, but we really don't want to take any chances either. Little Flump is the most important thing in the world to us and we wouldn't want to risk any harm coming to him/her.

Flump is our first so we're probably guilty of being overly analytical, overly cautious and overly paranoid. We saw the movement sensors and we'll probably buy one too. Along with a baby monitor with a video camera.

I read too much, I think too much but you can never love too much.

I think surely enough has been said... people are now just arguing about arguing... you'd think it could just be laid to rest now?

MattM said:

Thank you! That's all we were trying to do!

I know I can go on, but we really don't want to take any chances either. Little Flump is the most important thing in the world to us and we wouldn't want to risk any harm coming to him/her.

Flump is our first so we're probably guilty of being overly analytical, overly cautious and overly paranoid. We saw the movement sensors and we'll probably buy one too. Along with a baby monitor with a video camera.

I read too much, I think too much but you can never love too much.

i think that everyone including myself will agree with you in regards to their own un-borns. and as i said i know why you have chosen the one you have, and feel its obviously the right choice for you.. i also said thanks for the info, as i didnt know there were fully reclining carseats out there untill you showed me them. and i know that you were just sharing the info you have come accross..and never ment for this to become so heated. i was just sharing the info i had also found. so i think its in all of our best intersts to agree to dissagree on this one,

and i hope that most people reading this are sensible enough to realise that you are not putting your baby at risk, whatever pram/carseat you get.

all three of us have put our ideas and opinions forward.. so as i said lets agree to disagree eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back