Pregnancy books.

JoAnn&Aimee

Reaction score
I was just wondering what pregnancy books everyone has?

I've got the What To Expect When You're Expecting book that was given to me by my brothers girlfriend. The OH also bought me week-by-week pregnancy book which looks like it was written in the 80's! The pictures look so old as well. :roll:

I've got loads and my collection is still growing- I'm a bit of a book fiend anyway! I have so far,

What to expect when you're expecting- very good for answering all those questions we all seem to have
Your pregnancy week by week- ok, not the best IMO- although just noticed that there are quite a few books with this title so it may be that I picked the wrong one!
Best friends guide to pregnancy- good as fairly down to earth so good side read
The rough guide to pregnancy- this one is really good for a laugh too
Minus nine to one- the diary of an honest mum- Jools Oliver and her experience, I liked it as it was a good commute read, made me laugh in parts although I couldn't relate to alot of it- pcos, having money etc!
How to have a baby and still live in the real world ok, but not great- just cheap buy in one of those book warehouses

For dh I got:
The blokes guide to pregnancy He was engrossed in this one but wouldn't let me read it so no idea if its any good!
You're pregnant too mate I've been recommended this one but he seems to have gone off reading so can't tell you anything about this one!

Probably loads more at home and more to come- like I said I'm a book fiend, I'm amazed that I'm not totally clued up about all aspects of pregnancy yet but I only read parts that are relevant to me and am avoiding the ends of the books as they are scary!
ps, I get my books second hand at greenmetropolis.com so alot cheaper than buying new.

I bought this one and love it!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pregnancy-W...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203689173&sr=8-2

Its full of all the practical advice you need when expecting, about what you should and shouldn't eat and do etc etc but it also has a section that tracks your pregnancy week by week with little pictures so you can see how your bean is growing. At the turn of every week i love reading my relevant section and learn how my pregnancy is progressing.

its the only one i use really

LMP x

Hubby got me this one the other day and so far its the best one I've read, for info about labour and the early years for children. I like it covers not only hospital birthing, but birth centres and homebirth. Many don't really go into homebirthing options etc.

The Great Ormond Street New Baby and Child Care Book: The Essential Guide for Parents of Children Aged 0-5

I have one other book What To Expect When You Are Expecting, but tbh I've not read most of the early stages of pregnancy and started reading from 6 months onwards. A lot of stuff in there I knew already.

i've got
what to expect when you are expecting,
the best frieds guide to pregnancy and
how to have a baby on ebay whihc tells you all the stuff you actually need and price ranges on many stores that stock those items.

Sandi

xjoann said:

The OH also bought me week-by-week pregnancy book which looks like it was written in the 80's! The pictures look so old as well. :roll:

hi joanne, think i may have the same REALLY OLD week by week book, cant find it at the mojo as were decorating, but its got Jane in from eastenders, sporting a big bump!!!!

and other women sporting ..... shall we say..... 80's perms and shoulderpads! :rotfl:

Zobo said:
xjoann said:

The OH also bought me week-by-week pregnancy book which looks like it was written in the 80's! The pictures look so old as well. :roll:

hi joanne, think i may have the same REALLY OLD week by week book, cant find it at the mojo as were decorating, but its got Jane in from eastenders, sporting a big bump!!!!

and other women sporting ..... shall we say..... 80's perms and shoulderpads! :rotfl:

YES!!! I am convinced that was Jane!! Everyone thinks I am seeing things! :rotfl: We definately have the same book! The diagram on the internal exam freaks me out! :shakehead:

:shock: :shock:
The only book i have is the one they gave me at my booking appointment - the NHS one.
Do I need one?!

BabyBee said:
:shock: :shock:
The only book i have is the one they gave me at my booking appointment - the NHS one.
Do I need one?!

You don't really need one. The book my midwife gave me has just as much information in it as others. I was just curious as to what books people have.

Joann, no your not seeing things, its definatly Jane! :lol:

ive got about 4 different baby books, and they all tell you different things...

you read one and it says for example... at "X" weeks your baby is "x" centimetres long... then in another itll give you a completely diferent mesurement!

i get really confused with all the conflicting info!
think i should have just stuck to one book!

I got the pregnancy bible & also Jo Frosts Confident baby care.

The jo frost (supernanny) book is excellent, full of brilliant tips and has really given me confidence ready for when LO arrives.

I read Life After Birth by Kate Figes before I even got pregnant this time and I found it really informative and enjoyable and Your Child Your Way by Tanya Byron (House of Tiny Tearaways) which is very empowering when there is such a plethera of parenting strategies around these days!

In my experience it's good to be a bit of a magpie picking up information from as many sources as possible and then pick and choose what suits you and your family.

sparky said:

Ive got this and love it :D

I also have...

Tommy's Guide to being Pregnant - Mum picked this up free and its one of the best preggo books Ive read, has tons of info! HEre is the link, you can request one, deffo worth having imo!

http://www.tommys.org/pregnancy-informa ... health.htm

This is also good, its probably been updated loads now, the version I have is 80's from the charity shop for £1 but it had loads of info in and some real funky pics - hairy muffs ahoy!!!!! :rotfl:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Conception-Preg ... 1405306122

hi, ive got the tommys guide to being pregnant too!

really good, full of pics and good info!
i ordered one for my friend too when she got pregnant!

recommeded.... and its free!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back