Pregnancy books

MrsR

Reaction score
I borrowed myleen klass' pregnancy book today from the library and have just finished reading it. It's the first book I've read on pregnancy though I do have the 'what to expect' app for my iPhone and I found it a bit boring. I also got super annoyed at her going on about recieving loads of free stuff like 5 free prams when normal people can struggle to afford one. It was ok but I wouldn't recommend it. So I'm just wondering has anyone read a pregnancy book they loved/hated or one they would recommend? x

yeah I read that one too, and felt the same. Also she really jumped around in time trying to put 'funny' anecdotes in which felt really unnatural. By the end I felt like they'd moved house about 8 times!! AND one more thing, she called her baby something really odd, I cant remember now...

I read Jules Olivers book and Id recommend that, she seems more grounded in the real world and prepared to be honest about struggling with things. Was it just me or was Myleen Klass' birth story completely a lie?!

Have read heaps of books - but just as a funny thought i bought four at a bootsale the other day, they were a little old but i love to read and they were only a pound for 4 so i couldn't resist! The one that horrified me was the one that talked about your right to choose if you wanted a shave and enima:shock: It was published in 1991 - suddendly i feel much more comfortable that us ladies have much better services these days.:dance:

Can't say i do the celebraty books as we live in the real world and these ladies sometimes act as if they are super human when the truth is we are not and becoming a parent makes you realise that despite your best intentions noone is perfect! Plus i have found more things out on th PF than i have from any other source - so stick with us ladies and ditch the celeb books i say!!!! Although i like the mags with pics and birth stories they are always worth a read!

I completely agree tiny, her birth story was bs! I was 18 when had DD and as young and naive as I was I knew I was in labour! x And yes she jumped around alot and nicknamed baby Rice. Grrr getting annoyed again just thinking about it! She wittered on about how she's from a normal family and wants baby to have a normal life and then was like 'yeah I got given 5 prams, got to choose my favourite from a shop, had all the nursery furniture given, loads of clothes, all my maternity wear was given to me by M&S' etc etc! Tbh I wanted to slap her! x
I love to read too Evajo and would def of snapped those books up!!! What a bargain! I'm so glad things have changed too! I'm sure our grandmas could tell us some horror stories!

ahh yeah "rice" I wasnt sure if tht was the baby's actual name or not at first :rofl:

My OH informed me knowledgeably the other day that I would "have to have an enema" I was like ermm no I wont and he laughed at me and said sorry hun but you just do. He was really patronising and I had no idea what he was on about and Ive done about 100 times more research than he has so I knew he was wrong but left it. Obviously his mother has told him to tell about all the horrible parts of childbirth. Cant wait to tell her about my birthplan :rofl:

:rofl:
Can't believe your OH would think you would have to have an emina!!! Perhaps he was just hoping for the shave hehe.
You MIL will deffo think your a hippy when she reads your birth plan, i remember my nan telling me you had to stay on bed entire time! My MIL and a friend of mine nearly fell off their chairs the other day when i boldly announced that i was having babe at home and children could watch if they wanted - and were even more shocked when i said i would probably have babe in the lounge (its the biggest room and has solid wood floor!) because i can pace kitchen floor.:dance:

^^^^^ that was my mil's reaction too when told her I want home birth. It's the only time she's ever shown any interest in baby/birth etc x

I didn't read any books when pregnant with my first, but a friend strongly recommended 'A rough guide to pregnancy by Kaz Cooke' , so this time around I am giving it a go. It is a great read and has literally had me lol in parts! I am reading each week that I am and am finding myself itching to read the next week.

I am now reading Lesley Reagan's Week by Week Pregnancy. And it's quite good. Doesnt tell you what to do, just tells you your chances and your development week by week.

I haven't read any books, just used the internet and pf if I've got any queries....I find the more I read the more there is to worry about lol!

I haven't read any of the 'celebrity' pregnancy books, I think they would make me too angry. I'm not a big fan of Myleene Klass at the best of times but now I know she got 5 free prams I like her even less!!!

iv never read celeb books not my thing iv got one pregnancy bk someone lent me with pics from conception to birth the development amazing pics not much in the way of words tho i prefer to read up weekly online x

Does anyone have any ideas for a childs pregnancy book? My DD is nearly 6 and is soooooo interested in what's happening with baby, where it is etc x I've never read celebrity books before as I'm not interested in celebs but it was just there so decided to try it! x

Yeah I read the Jules Oliver book too, and quite liked it. I did think she came across a bit of a know it all, but I guess after two in such quick succession she probably does know a fair bit!

Does anyone have any ideas for a childs pregnancy book? My DD is nearly 6 and is soooooo interested in what's happening with baby, where it is etc x I've never read celebrity books before as I'm not interested in celebs but it was just there so decided to try it! x
Hi

I can't remember any titles but whilst looking on amazon the other day i discovered there were loads of books for children explaining pregnancy - library might be worth a look too x

Ooooooh thank you! Will have a google x

My son will be 3yrs at the end of June and we have recently bought him 'There's a house inside my mummy' by Giles Andreae and Vanessa Cabban. It is a beautiful book written in poem form about what happens-I got all emotional when I first read it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back