Can anyone recommend good pregnancy books?

Katkin72

Reaction score
Well, as the title suggests I am looking for some advice on what pregnancy books to buy - I am particularly keen on buying a healthy eating when pregnant book, and other general books on what to expect throughout pregnancy/the development of my baby week by week etc.

Have any of you got a favourite book you would recommend?
Thanks in advance :) xxx

I'm not sure but why don't you take a trip to the local library and have a browse, you could borrow some and then the ones you really love you could buy without the expense of ones you really don't like

I got mine from The Works which is a really cheap book shop, they're online too if you don't have one near you, and I got the Mums Net guide, which has everything in it, should normally be £12.99, and I paid £3.99, love that shop!! :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

I have The Day by Day pregnancy book. It was around £15 on amazon but it's the only book I've felt I need it is absolutely brilliant. Its a big hardback with day by day nice bite size bits relevant to your stage and lovely scan images. It also has sections for all the other important stuff. It goes through day by day until a few days after birth. I couldn't recommend it enough!

I got a book called 'what to expect when your expecting' from Amazon for around £3. Its literally like my bible x

I have The Day by Day pregnancy book. It was around £15 on amazon but it's the only book I've felt I need it is absolutely brilliant. Its a big hardback with day by day nice bite size bits relevant to your stage and lovely scan images. It also has sections for all the other important stuff. It goes through day by day until a few days after birth. I couldn't recommend it enough!

Yea i agree with sarah this book is fab.!!! So much info. :) xxx

I have the day to day guide. Cannot for the life of me remember who the author is. But it is amazing. The pictures are fantastic and it explains everything. I read it each day and sits on my coffee table all the time. I bought mine in Waterstones with a token and it was expensive at £25 but been worth every penny so far.

I have a few apps on my iPad too. Itunes are really reasonable. Im now reading all I can on Breast feeding!!! I have read a few books on my iPad too, will look tonight and tell you what they are. Something like the moder day girls guide to pregnancy. It was fun and totally to the point!

I read loads and at the moment have been trying to get into 50 shades, but its just not gripping me like th BF one is!!! ha - what a weirdo. xxx

Oh wow, thank you so much ladies for all your recommendations :) I will check out all the books mentioned. May also try to pop into the library in the next few weeks to see what I can find - good idea Flips4 xx

Just a hint hun - healthy eating will go out the window in Tri 1. It'll turn into a what you can eat and keep down thing instead ;)

Just a hint hun - healthy eating will go out the window in Tri 1. It'll turn into a what you can eat and keep down thing instead ;)

Lol, I've decided to continue with my current diet which is fairly healthy, but if I fancy anything else (unhealthy), I'm not going to worry about eating it! I seem to be wanting more carbs atm - bread, biscuits etc :) one of my best friends is having a terrible time with MS and can't eat anything without puking :-( xxx

The pregnancy bible is brilliant!! X

Ooh thanks Toni - i'll add it to the list of books to look out for :) xxx

Yup carbs all way most of us finding - jacket tata and mash seem to be best carbs we can keep down ;)

And toast and crisps. And oddly I was able to keep down chippy chips ;) haha!!!xx

I have one called 'your pregnancy week by week' and its fab!! Was about £16 from waterstones but I'm sure u can get it cheaper online.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your replies ladies :) ooh, I love jacket potatoes - looks like I may be eating more of them from now on then lol. I'm really enjoying toast too atm. strangely, I just had some velvet crunch cheddar cheese & spring onion crisps which I usually love and I really wasn't loving them today :-( feel a bit sick now!! xxx

I just checked my iPad and this is what I've read so far.....

The nipple fairy is a man
Pregnancy for modern girls
My pregnancy 2012
What to expect when ur breast feeding and what if you can't
The everything pregnancy book
100 things I hate about pregnancy.

I've got a few apps too but they never get looked at now:
Pregnancy-what to expect
Miriam Stoppard pregnancy
Ipregnant delux.

I can't wait to start reading trash again! Haha! Xx

Ooh thanks for the book list Gayle - I intend to read pregnancy related books AND some trashy stuff!! Actually, I'm currently into forensic/crime novels. My fav author atm is Simon Beckett, closely followed by Simon Kernick :)

Well if I could ever get back to trash it would be to read my copy of 50shades of grey....see what all the fuss is about! Lol xxx

I'm not sure but why don't you take a trip to the local library and have a browse, you could borrow some and then the ones you really love you could buy without the expense of ones you really don't like

Thats a really good idea!

Personally I don't like the idea of pregnancy books. Yes they may be able to give you good advice, but they weren't around hundreds of years ago and women were having babies then! I just don't think that a book can prepare you for a baby, nothing can like the real thing!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back