Positive Serum Screening Results - Any advice please

XHopefulX

Reaction score
Hi all,

Had some bad news this morning about the serum bloods I had done last week, actually completely all over the place and looking for anybody who has been through the same or knows of someone that has.
Spinal Bif - Neg
Downs - Pos 1-67
Edwards Syndrome - Pos 1-72
All I have done all day is blame my age and anything else that comes to mind and feel completely useless and really can't see any positive outcome.
I have been booked in for an amnio tomorrow afternoon but am unable to get the detailed scan till next month pending the results of the amnio.

If anybody can help or give any advice I would really appreciate it as I am totally numb to think what might be....

:cry:

x

Awww you poor thing- I haven't any experience personally, but I do know there are PLENTY of cases where tests have come back high risk and babies have turned out to be perfectly fine. What a worry though for you - will you get amnio results straight away? Don't blame your age hun - I'm 37 and am low risk as are lots and lots of older mum's. I still think everything could be okay so don't think the worst just yet. I do really feel for you though, you must be so worried xx

hun i'm really sorry, i've never been in your position and have no idea how you're feeling x

because it's not happening to me, I can look at those results and see that the odds are hugely in your favour.

I can also share that a work colleague of my hubby was given a 50/50 chance of downs and had a non-downs baby.

my friend had a 1/10 chance of downs and had an amnio which showed she was fine.

at my 20 week scan, they told me they thought my baby had a meningocele, a mild form of spinabifida.
I paid for a private scan the very next day which showed that my baby looked "ok" then 2 weeks later the hosp confirmed this

I know this is little help right now and you must be feeling awful.

Is there anyway you can book a private reassurance scan tomorrow or would this not show anything??

so sorry you have this stress xx

Thanks to the both of you for spending the time in replying...
Amanda should get the results next week they were going to try and get them by crimbo but looks unlikely...
Amy thanks for all that, it wouldn't be possible at the moment to try getting a scan because of where I live, I would have to travel in excess of 100 miles to get one unless I just waited for the one at our local hospital but even after the amino they might not think it is worth it but will have to wait and see, that is all I can do it would seem.....

Thanks for your kind words and reassurances xx

I know how hard waiting is.....when I had my HIV results come back as inconclusive I had to wait 5 days for my second results and it was hell. I couldn't help thinking 'can't they just put one person on the results to fast track it, why does it take 5 days to test some blood?' as your life really does go on hold during that wait. I really hope they can get your results before Xmas and everything comes back ok xxx

I feel for you today, I had the Nuchal combined screening done at 13 weeks, and the neck measurement was ok, but the bloods came back with a 1 in 9 chance of one of the big three issues, Downs, Pascals, or edwards. When they rang me I was 14 weeks exactly so that day was the last day I could have the CVS test or have to wait a week for an amnio. They took a sample of placenta and tested. as I was higher risk than 1 in 30, they have a fast track results in my area for the big three above,I waited just 3 days, and that was clear . then the 2 week wait for any other cromozone issue , and that came back also clear, but was the longest wait ever.

I was lucky, and havn't had baby yet, so I still worry a bit what it was from? and I only had the test this time due to my age at 37. I did loose a baby at 12 weeks, via MMC , then fell pregnant after just 4 weeks, so wonder if these high blood markers I had were registering due to a chromozone prob with the baby I lost and not this one, but we will never know.

I wish you all the luck with your results, and hope yo get some back before xmas , or asap. X JJ

Hi hun, the reason I didn't get this test is my midwife said loads of people get these results like what you have when there turns out to be nothing wrong, and just causes a couple of weeks of worry. I'm sure you'll be one of these unlucky buggers tortured for a while before it is proven that all is ok, sorry you'll have a tense Xmas waiting but I'm sure it'll all be fine :hug:

Awww Hun that must be such a worry!!!! I also didnt go for the tests. It was my consultant who told me that so many woman results come back high and then there's lots of worry. But the majority of people have healthy babies. So she basically said it's not worth the worry! I'm sure baby will be fine!

*hugs*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi xhopefulx

I'm on my phone and little boy is feeding so can't post the link but if you look in Tri 1 under the 'Downs syndrome screening' thread there is a long post from me about my experience with this.

I know exactly how you're feeling right now so sending you lots of love xxx

Hey hunny!

I have limited knowledge of the tests myself but the first person to talk to me about it was the ultrasound scan lady and she did say right at the end of the explination that IF the tests came back unfavourable that did not mean they were right! As Pinky has said they can cause a lot of worry for no good reason.

Just wanted you to know I am thinking of you and sending lots of hugs. If you need anything let me know xxx

Thanks again for all your responses, am going to try and take each day as it comes and what will be will be. Will have a look later to see if I can find the thread on Tri 1 as I can't really concentrate at the moment. Booked in for 1.30 so please have your fingers crossed for me and ickle bean x

Lots and lots and lots of love as ever from me chick. I'll be sending all my positive thoughts and vibes to you and little one.xx

Good luck Hopeful, hope it went ok and you get reassuring news soon xx

Thanks all again, well had it done earlier and the procedure wasn't as bad as what I thought it would be, at least got to see bab's again and a fully working heart...... they couldn't take as much fluid as they would like so a repeat might be needed at a later date which is a bit worrying again.

The doctor said it doesn't happen very often that you get 2 positives in a serum sample which got me worried even more and don't think any positive things they tried to drum into me actually worked when you are already thinking the worse. Again I can live in hope things will be ok but just have to be prepared for the worse also.

So now have to try and relax ( ha ha ha) and wait for the results which I might not get now till next Wed as it doesn't look hopeful for Friday

x

Awww hun I have been thinking about you and I am glad you got thru today - I have everything crossed for you and am hoping your results come back quickly and that everything is OK.

Loads of :hugs: xxxxxxx

Thanks Miss hun, just feelling a bit numb and not knowing what to think or feel at the moment xx

That is totaly understandable hun. Did you find the thread that Rayoflight mentioned earlier? It might help giving it a read if you can concentrate xx

Glad it went smoothly for you today with no problems hun, hope they can rush the results back for you, try to enjoy xmas even with the worry, I will have everything crossed for you and results next week X

Make sure they have good telephone contact details for you so have no problem getting hold of you, as I lost a day to them refusing to tell my husband, and them not leaving a number , even this he was on the paperwork!

Miss, no looked earlier even back to the beginning of the year but couldn't find in, I pm her but she hasn't got back to me.

JJ thanks hun, they have been very good with the calls yesterday and a fantastic mw was looking after me, have the fact sheet for the aftercare which has all the numbers if anything happens and I need to get hold of them.

I mean 2 tests out of the 3 positive?? There must be something wrong isn't there?

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back