Nuchal scan vs. screening triple test

fluffball

Reaction score
I had my dating scan on Fri aft. Everything was fine and I am so relieved.

However, I was put at 13+1, so had barely any time to book private nuchal scan+blood (NHS doesn't offer it here). I was a bit annoyed with my m/w as this was not discussind in detail at my booking appnmnt and I assumed that any private tests should be booked after the dating scan.
Luckily I managed to do it yesterday in a private hospital. (Scan was fine, waiting for blood results now).

But the screening coordinator at my hospital said that if you have a nuchal+blood, the hospital does no do the screening triple test.

Apparently, the results can be contradictory because they don't measure the exact same substances.

However, I can't help thinking that I should have the screening triple test as well. It feels like a wasted opportunity.

Or do you think that it will just worry us unnecessarily?
Has anybody done both??

I had a private Nuchal scan and bloods and didn't bother with the triple test at 16 weeks. I was more than happy with the results of Nuchal and blood tests done.

TBH the Nuchal gives good results (as the consultant probably explained the percentages) and unless the results from the bloods of that combined with the scan are cause for concern I'd not worry overly about the triple test in a few weeks.

Had you not gone and had the Nuchal done, you'd have the triple test. It'd still only be one test done though :wink: Nuchal isn't offered by most NHS trusts simply as there are not enough qualified people to do the scans. Hence most people having to go private if they want one done.

If your results come back with a good margine, I'd relax about it. If you get a worrying result you can then be tested later on to double check this. Well that would be my way of approaching it. The NHS should not deny you a triple test if you have a concerning Nuchal and bloods result.

i dont understand why you wernt given the blood results stright away, i was with my private nuchal scan+ bloods

Thanks for your reply, Sherlock.
I'm thinking along the same lines as you. I know that the nuchal+blood detects 90% of cases, as opposed to the triple test, which is only 60%.
I just thought I was being hasty not taking that too.

If (fingers crossed) the blood results are good too, I'll cancel my triple test.

By the way, I read your homebirth story. Congratulations on your new baby! You're so brave :clap:. I'm still considering one, but I think I'm going to chicken out. :oops:

Hennaly, I think it's because this hospital (although it seemed quite big) uses an external lab for the blood tests, so they have to send the samples to them and then wait for them to send the results to the hospital.

ah right i see, can i ask how much you had to pay for it?

Not at all, Ask away!
It was 175 pounds: 140 for the scan and 35 for the blood.
It's a Nuffield hospital in Leeds city centre.
I thought it was a bit steep, is it?? :think:
I had to book it in a mad rush anyway, so I was just happy they could fit me in straight away.

*Update*: The hospital just rang and gave me the results over the phone (they'll post them too but they rang first). They show a very low risk :dance:

I think I will cancel the triple test then!

Thats not expensive, i paid £195 with Bupa but did get the bloods on the spot and i have to say for peace of mind was worth every penny.
Did you get the photos?
I had 7 or 8 in the price. :D

I've got my nuchal scan on Thursday and its costing 180 pounds, including the PAP-A blood tests. They said that they will give me the result of this, but then also combine it with the triple test to give a more accurate answer.

To be honest, in my usual way, I'm quite worried about it all!.

So it looks like I got a good deal after all then! :)

Hennaly,
Wow, 8 photos! :shock: I only got 2.
Baby was cooperating for the neck measurements but as soon as it was done he wouldn't stay still for ages so there was only a couple of good ones. But I've got some more from last Friday anyway.

Satch, try not to worry :hug:.
I was very anxious too, but at the end of the day it's only a scan and, if you are anything like me, the peace of mind is well worth a bit of anxiety now. (I'm terrible, I worry constantly and I don't even dare come to the forum very often :oops:)

So, are you going to do the triple test too?

Good luck for Thu! You'll be fine, I'm sure.

The nuchal scans accompanied by blood tests are more expensive than just having the scan alone.

We just had the nuchal scan, I think it cost us £100.

Satch - where are you having your scan and bloods done out of interest? I'm in Notts too, useful to know if we go on to have a 3rd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back