Please Read - OBSTETRIC CHOLESTASIS

gingerpig said:
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread - my eczema has been flaring up badly since I've got pregnant, so I checked with my MW today at my 28 week check-up (ok it was a day early lol) and she's sent me off to the hospital to get my bloods tested! Apparently her needles are too big for my veins lol, so I'm getting liver function tested at the same time as my iron levels. Apparently it takes 2 weeks for the results to come through as they need to go up to Birmingham. I'm so glad I'm getting this test - I told a gp (my practice has loads, and I've hardly seen the same one throughout lol) that my eczema was getting worse and more itchy, and that I was worried, and he just said, well not you're not yellow are you? So thanks again, xxxxxxxx

aww! i agree! this thread has made me a lot less worried about the condition.

fingers crossed the results come back normal! :hug:

lol about her needles being too big! they just jab me in the back of my hand if the veins in my arm "run away". :rotfl:

i was reading soemthing about this the other day that says that it is not advised to use hormone based Contraceptive in the future if you have had this condition.

Anyone know if this is true?

Ooooooo I read that as well. It said you shouldn't use as oestrogen based pill. It also said that women who have had this, sometimes go on to develop itchiness when they ovulate and just before AF. I guess the oestrogen surge causes the itching, which is why an oestrogen based pill would be no good.

I've never been jabbed in the hand though! The nurse today looked at my veins and agreed with the MW that they weren't very good, but I told her I thought they were fine as I was still alive lolol.

haha!

they managed to get the next batch from my arm. ive got to have another lot taken on monday. Hopefuly it will be my arm again.

Still only 2 more lots, unless they want more on the day!

I am now worried about this as my blood results are abnormal... They have been abnormal for 3 weeks now and I have just had another test today- I have to ring up tomorow to get the results.....

I have no other symptoms though.... is it possible to have this with no itching?????

Could be hun, as i said many pages back :D my itching was only really slight on the top of one arm to begin with

What have they said is abnormal about your results??
Have they done liver function/bile level tests??

yep they have done loads - Had 6 bottles taken about 3 weeks ago - ALT is up as well as GGT.... treatment level for GGT is 50 mine was 47 last week and 65 this week......

They have not said that I have OC as yet but they are keeping an eye on my liver function as it is abnormal and could be an indication that I am developing it....

Now I am making myself paranoid thinking I am itchy when I am not!!!!

Had my m/w appt today to sign me fit to fly for Monday... mentioned after reading this post that I've been itching a lot...

I itch on my head, my arms, my knuckles and the veins on the back of my hands, my legs,especially the bottoms and especially my shins, ankles and feet, so much that I can scratch until I bleed.

it's not continous though, maybe on and off through the day and I don't have lack of sleep because of it.

My wee is very very dark yellow and I noticed this when I wipe too :oops: sorry tmi!

I'm also very tired, more than I was with my twinnies, I have to lie down for a few hours each day and still feel exhausted.

Does this sound like Oc symptoms or just regular pg stuff?

My m/w said it was quite early for OC to occur but it can happen.

Anyway she's taken some blood and is going to call me on her shift on Sunday with the results so that we know before I go to Sweden.

A little nervous but hoping it's just standard itching as she said in an extreme case I wouldn't be able to go.

What are your thought ladies?

Hmm it is a bit early :think:

But everything you have said sounds just like i was when i had OC
I really hope it isn't so you can fly
when are you going and for how long?

The reason i ask is that i had to be monitered twice a week and bloods done each time and a scan a week
But i was a lot further on i started around 33 weeks if i remember rightly

If it is and they catch it early and put you on meds and your levels are not too high you would prob be okay to go away for a week( duno for sure)

But don't panic until she gets back to you hun

All the best :hug: and let us know what she says

jo said:
Hmm it is a bit early :think:

But everything you have said sounds just like i was when i had OC
I really hope it isn't so you can fly
when are you going and for how long?

The reason i ask is that i had to be monitered twice a week and bloods done each time and a scan a week
But i was a lot further on i started around 33 weeks if i remember rightly

If it is and they catch it early and put you on meds and your levels are not too high you would prob be okay to go away for a week( duno for sure)

But don't panic until she gets back to you hun

All the best :hug: and let us know what she says

Will do.

We're off to Oh's parents in Sweden for 5 days, hoping I can go.

My m/w said she's very catious with these things, apparently her co worker developed it at 19 weeks :shock:

Bless her though she's trying to rush through the bloods so we can know by Sun

19 weeks??!!! :shock:
Dear god i only had to put up with the prodding and poking for about 5 week and that was bad enough

I think you should be ok for 5 days as long as blood pressure is good
as like i said they will have got you on the medication by then if it is OC

But there again i suppose it depends on each doctor etc....

Good luck hun :hug:

Just read this post.
I've had mild itching on my arms and legs for the past few weeks. I've got a maternity apoint on monday so i'm going to mention it to the midwife and doctor (i'm being seen by a doctor because i've got a cyst that they are allready monitoring with blood tests) I've also had a funny pain high up on my right hand side, which somebody else mentions in this thred and is where your liver is!

I had put the itching down to the warmer weather and the pain due to stretching. Now i'm not so sure.

I'll keep you updated......

had the test done! gota wait 2 weeks for the results. :pray:

2 weeks????!!!! that is a long time to wait I am sure i got my results a lot quicker than that
I'd wait a few days and call your MW to see if they are through yet
they usually rush suspected OC through

Good luck x

:shock:

i was told i would have to wait a week, but i went to my gp and he get me the results the same day.

def call to see if they have them any sooner.

how the itching been?

still, 2 weeks is a long time seeing as i got mine the following day every week!

My doc said i was getting stressed over the results and thats how he got them quicker. (ok, i was worried, as i didn't even know what they tests where for at the time, but he over played how much! lol).

:hug: heres hoping they all come back ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back