Please Read - OBSTETRIC CHOLESTASIS

Well good luck for later but make sure you tell them that you want to be monitered regularly as the levels can go up and down.

OK, I'm back from my appointment. They repeated to me that all blood results were fine and prescribed me an anti-histamine for the itching, so I can get some sleep at night. However, one of the blood results wasn't back, so they can't rule it out completely. But my platelet levels are also dropping, apparently, which is a cause for concern, so they want to see me next week to take more bloods. I also have an excess of amniotic fluid, which they need to monitor closely. They said that taking all of this into consideration, and the fact the the baby seems to be a bit on the large side, it's a distinct possibility that they might induce me early.

My next appointment is next Tuesday, I'll keep you posted!

wow a week seems such a long time

it's good that you got the anti hystemines
when does the other blood come back?

and what is the excess fluid ?

sorry not heard of that before

ooh you gonna have your baby soon :D

Hi Cloughie, what is that about the platelets, is that to do with anaemia?

If you have OC antihistamines wont work, they may help you sleep but they wont work on the itch as it is caused by the bile acids and histamine is something your body produces when you have an allergic reaction.

Anyway the main thing is they are seeing you regularly and you should have your baby soon :hug:

My next lot of blood results should be back in time for my next visit next Tuesday. A low platelet level in the blood has implications in blood clotting, so may lead to abnormal bleeding (of the mother) during or after birth. It can also be a sign of pre-eclampsia, but as I have no other symptoms, I think it is unlikely to be.

The excess amniotic fluid could be caused by gestational diabetes, although I have already had a glucose tolerance test earlier in my pregnancy and it came back negative. Another cause could be a foetal abnormality :shock: , although everything looked to be OK on the scan. It can lead to preterm labour and also a greater risk of an umbilical cord prolapse or placental abruption when my waters break. There is also a risk of stillbirth :shock: :shock: .

:shock: Aww hun :hug: you must be going spare,
but at least they have picked up on these things and will moniter you closley from now on
any worries or you just want to rant feel free yo PM me hun :hug:

Yeah, I'm really worried now, not because of any complications that might arise with me during labour, but for the baby.

It's so scary, and I'm trying to play it down with my family (including my husband - I don't think he understands the full implications), because there's no use worrying them as well when everything might turn out OK. :pray: But it is difficult not being able to talk to someone. I would talk to my sister about it, but I don't trust myself not to break down, and I know that if I did that she would get all concerned and tell my parents.

I don't know what I would do if I couldn't talk you guys about it, thanks for being there.

:hug: any time hun

I would suggest telling OH though how you are feeling as we don't want your BP going sky high from keeping it all in

They told me that if i didn't deliver by 37weeks there was a good chance of Jack being stillborn (shudder to think about it now!!)

I think they do tend to give you the worse case scenarios sometimes but it doesn't help does it?

Have they spoke of maybe inducing you so your waters don't just go on there own and you would be monitered all the way through?

The doctor I saw wasn't my regular consultant, so he couldn't tell me too much. He just said that there was a likely possibility that I would be induced early, but my consultant will have to make that decision next Tuesday when I see her.

I have been advised to go to the hospital immediately though, if my waters do break in the meantime.

I may put off speaking to OH till next week, as he has to drive to Buxton one day next week with work, which is about a 2 or 3 hour drive away. If I tell him beforehand he will worry and probably speed to get back, and I don't want him putting himself in danger. I'll see how I feel about it when he gets home tonight.

Aww Cloughie, what a worry :hug:

With so many possibilities of complications could you not put your foot down and insist on having baby early?

I'll ask my consultant at the next appointment. I'm hoping she will agree, especially as my baby is large, and due to complications with my last delivery, she said she doesn't want me to deliver a big baby this time.

I'm no expert, but I think there are plenty enough reasons to justify inducing me early. The only downside to that is that if I do have the baby early, both my parents will be away on holiday, so won't be there for the birth. But the important thing is that the baby's OK. Nothing else really matters.

Good luck at your next appointment, I think you have plenty of reason to insist on being induced early. At the end of the day a healthy baby is all that matters.

ive posted this in 1st tri as well, have just remembered im in 3rd!

I mentioned to my MW about itchy feet, arms, hands and legs at my last appointment and she said she would send me for blood tests just to double check, but she didn't think there was anything to worry about.

I had the test done yesterday, and I have just had a call from the fetal assessment unit at my hospital saying some of the levels for this test have come back high. She said the main one they worry about seems to be ok, but some others are elevated. Ive got to have more bloods taken on Monday and speak to a doc on wed about it.

I’m now panicking about it. What does it mean if 'some' levels are high... does it mean it is the early stages of an infection and they can sort it?

What should I expect them to do next? Is there anything I can do to help (im signed off for another week because of adnominal pains anyway, so im getting plenty of rest).

samx

If it is OC you have, you can't do anything yourselve hun nobody really knows what causes it.

Just rest loads if you are tired, i did as my itching was worse at night

The next thing they will probably do is get you on medication

I suppose it depends which levels are high

xSuzx is prob best advising you as she has had it with all her pregnancies
try not to worry as we don't want you BP going up as well do we?

take care hun and let us know haw you go :hug:

thanks jo. I didn't think anything of it really. apart from keeping me awake at night it isn't that bad. ive not scratched my skin bad enough to mark it, but then i have been smothering it with lotion! It was just the lack of sleep that made me mention it.

im guessing it is OC they are testing for. She didn't say what levels are high, but i will ask on wednesday.

After being told my GTT came back fine, to then get another call the next day sayign something else isn't right, worried me. Plus lack of sleep made me all emotional :(

Thanks for the reply! i recon all i need is a good night sleep and i won't be half as bad! a nice bath and cup of warm milk before bed it is! :)

Just read this thread for the first time and I have been a bit itchy lately, how severe is the itching supposed to be????

Also have been very hot in the night and have had trouble sleeping?

My itching was really minor at the tops of my arms to begin with then my legs
I thought it was because of the sun :roll:
Is it the itching keeping you awake?
are you really tired, more than PG tiredness?

If you are concerned mention it at you next MW appointment as it usually appears in 3rd Tri
:hug:

JaidyBaby said:
Just read this thread for the first time and I have been a bit itchy lately, how severe is the itching supposed to be????

Also have been very hot in the night and have had trouble sleeping?

i hadn't read this thread when i mentioned it to my mw. The only reason i mentioned it was because it was keeping me awake at night (plus i hate having itchy feet!). I had put it down to swelling, and was really after some advise on what i could do to help. reading this thread, im glad i mentioned it now!

If in doubt, i would ask about it. no one at the hospital has mentioned possible oc to me, but i will find out on wed when i see a counsultant.

The itching isnt keeping me awake at night.

Its mostly on my bump and hips etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back