Please Read - OBSTETRIC CHOLESTASIS

Jo

Reaction score
Hiya girls/ladies,
I thought it important that i start this thread as I had this condition when i was PG with Jack and there was very little information about it.

We all know the signs to look for with Pre Eclampsia but non of the baby books i was given explained about this.

This condition can be a threatening one to both mum and baby if not treated correctly (please don't be scared).

I started with mild itching on my arms at about 30 weeks, my MW sent me for blood tests and it was OC.

Basically it is a blood/ liver disorder,flow of bile is restricted as the liver is not fuctioning properly which leads to a build up of bile acids in the blood which is what causes the itching.
I was given steroids and various other pill and potions (15 a day in all!!) and monitered very closly and the delivered Jack at 37 weeks

The main signs to look for are ITCHINESS, TIREDNESS(i know we are more tired anyway!) and FEELING INCREASINGLY HOT

I thought it important to post this now as it could be confused with the warm weather and it would be better to be safe than sorry.

I am going to put some links up for you if you have any questions please feel free to ask either on here or PM me

http://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/con ... stasis.asp
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068933/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/ ... sis1.shtml

xSuzx reccomended this site to me www.itchymoms.com

http://www.ocsupport.org.uk/

Last edited:
:shock: k i have like all those symptoms :shock: do they automatically test ur blood 4 it?

Hi hun, i would mention it to you MW as soon as possible, it may not be OC, but has soon as my MW saw me scratching my arm she sent me for a blood test.

Please don't worry, i hope i haven't scared you :hug:

lol it prob will b knowin my luck!!! ive already got carpel tunnel, anemia and very low iron!!! mind u i so have eczema n i always flare up in heat, will ask her asap tho!!

It could be the heat sweetie, this is why i posted this thread now, so ppl can get checked as the reason i thought i was itching is that i had just come back from Majorca!!

theres no harm in gettin checked!!! thtll b more blood 4m me now!! u shud c my arms!!!

hee hee, when i had this i had to go to Hospital twice a week to be monitered and they took 5 yep 5 vials of blood each time :shock:

the things we go through eh?

I have said that is it now for me with babies but watch this space lol

I have just started with very itchy arms and legs...I thought this was normal or maybe the heat plus I've been really hot....but saying that the weather could have alot to do with that?????? :?
Love
Claire
xxxxx

Will you please get checked as i was about the same stage as you when mine was detected

Let me know how you get on

Take care x

Thanks for the advice, I don't see my midwife for another two weeks as she's only at my surgery every fortnight...can I see the doctor about this?
xxxxxx

I would deff see the Dr if you do have OC 2 weeks is a very long time to wait, as they will need to start you on medication as soon as possible.

Good luck hun, fingers crossed for you

Hi Ladies.... :wave:
I haven't been able to get in to see a doc - my surgery is naff, but saw midwife this morning, she took my bloods and will be ringing me tomorrow with results. She did say though that normally the condition is an allergic reaction to your partner and seen as though I didn't get it with Haylea and is the same partner I should be ok - which is a relief....I was starting to get a little worried, but it seems like I'm gonna be ok and its probably just been the weather - I have noticed that since its been a little cooler its not been as bad, still a very unsatisfiable itch but not as severe as it was.
Hope you are all well
Love n hugs :hug:
Claire
xxxxx

:shock: i have never heard about it being a reaction to your partner!!!! my hospital told me there is no known cause for it, both my kids have the same dad!!

:shock: :shock: Oh well that put a bit of a spanner in my midwifes thought's then didn't it. Was you ok carrying your first child? Will just have to see what my blood results say tomorrow......fingers crossed then.
xxxxx

i was fine when i carried Emily, no probs at all, but xSuzx had it with all 3 of hers!!!

sorry hun, i didn't mean to scrae you i was just suprised she said that

:hug:

When I told my friend what the midwife had said she laughed - she'd never heard that before either.....oh well will just have to wait and see what the results are tomorrow....no point in getting too stressed about it...can't do anything about it til I know...besides I'll just end up not sleeping because I'm a right worry wart and I don't sleep that well as it is...so fingers crossed everything will be ok.
xxxxx

Aww please don't worry hun, it could be all ok, even if it is Oc you will get the right meds to sort it will be so closley monitered you wouldn't beleive

Please don't have a sleepless night cos of me :hug:

Aw Jo hunnie, don't worry...I don't sleep anyway at the mo. I'm not so worried and besides I'll know tomorrow so its not as if I have to wait ages.....
Take care
xxxxxx

Good luck, i have everything crossed for you
:hug:

Hi Jo,

Just to let you know I got my blood results and everything is fine....I have to see the doc cos I'm slightly anaemic but other than that the itchy skin thing is fine....which is good news, but mw said just to monitor the itchyness over the next few weeks. Anyway just thought I'd let you know hun.
Hope you are well.... :hug:
Love
Claire
xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member