Please Read - OBSTETRIC CHOLESTASIS

It's quite common on belly and hips due to your skin stretching
but.............
If it gets worse please get it checked and be pushy if you need to as lots of medical staff try and and tell you it is normal until they check your levels
They say OC is very rare but it is turning up more and more

usually appears around the 30 week mark as far as i can tell

:hug:

Thanks Jo, Im seeing my midwife on monday so il mention it then. Just to be on the safe side cos im fast approaching 30 weeks!

JaidyBaby said:
The itching isnt keeping me awake at night.

Its mostly on my bump and hips etc.

I was told itching on bump is because it is stretching by my midwife, but i would personaly still mention it (i would worry myself over it if i didn't). every appointment i have had i have gone in with a list of small nagging things, just to hear the midwife to tell me its all normal :) its what i need though to not worry about stuff!

Ive got itchy stretch marks on my lower belly as well. kinda where my knickers sit, but i think it is my knickers that make them itch.

I’ve just got back from the hospital, and I have got OC :( We have caught it early though so we should be able to treat it.

If I understood correct - My LTF (liver function) and ALT (a part of the LFT) are elevated, but my bile acid test is normal.

They have started me on some drug I can not pronounce, plus Piriton for the itching, and I cream to put on my arms & legs. Also, if there isn’t a fantastic improvement, I will be put on steroids and vitamin K. And there is a chance baby will be delivered early. I have to have daily traces done on baby’s heart, plus weekly blood tests.

On top of this they have found protein in my wee (and increased levels of something else, which I didn't catch) and a test sent off last week shows I have another water infection!

On the plus-side, baby is doing fine! It’s just mum that is suffering :(

I’m so glad I read this all first, because it hasn't seemed like so much of a shock! Thanks for your kind words / listening to me panic! :hug: I don't feel quite so alone or scared!

Aww hun :hug: at least they have caught it well in advance and it is good your bile levels are normal mine shot up to 44 at one point and if i remeber right around 12 was the top end of normal!!!!

I had steroid injectios its only 2, 2-3 days apart, this is just because if they have to deliver early the babies lungs will have developed like they should

I also had the Vit K which was good as beleive it or not it is like a smartie :D

If your levels do continue to rise they will not let you go past 37 weeks but this is fine and nothing to worry about

I'm here any time you want a chat hun :hug:

Thanks jo. Its all still sinking in at the mo really. Ive got another appointment tomorrow and a third on wednesday.

Good thing i only live a 5 mins walk to the hospital! It seems like i am going to be spending loads of time there in the comming months!

hopefuly they can keep my levels under control :pray:

Hi Sam, I only just saw this and am sorry to see you have OC but wow I am impressed that they have reacted so quickly for you, I had a nightmare!

It sounds like you are being well looked after and if you are taking ursofalk I'm sure you will be relieved of the itching quickly. Its so worrying though but I have just had my daughter 5 days ago (36+6) and she is perfect! Your baby will be too :)

Jo, you are right this seems much more common than the statistics show. I will make sure that anyone that I know that itches while pregnant gets checked out now. It can be devastating if not diagnosed and yet the worst can so easily be avoided. I get quite emotional when I look at Leorah and wonder what might of happened if I wasn't diagnosed :cry:

They where pretty good really. I’m glad I told my midwife and not my doc though, as when I told him what the condition is he had no idea, and he has been a doctor for 35 odd years!

He was the one that rushed the hospital though. I would still be waiting on results if he had not moaned at them. But now they have started me on the meds and monitoring me (11 pills a day! im going to rattle!!!).

Im on Ursodeocycholica acid & chlorphenamine at the moment to see if that helps control my levels.
I’ve got a scan booked in tomorrow, and a liver scan booked in on Friday to double check that.

I agree about the amount of people. When I was waiting for my trace today, someone was just leaving with the same condition. The midwifes seem pretty clued up on it as well.

Will they let me deliver naturally, or will I need a c section? We haven’t got that far down the road yet with the docs - they are more worried about my bloods. Also, do they always induce before 37 weeks? I have an appointment with the consultant tomorrow, so I will find out more then, but I was wondering what you guys have been told?

When I told my poor dad he started worrying :) everyone says im coping really well, and its you guys that are helping! Reading your birth stories has helped tons (although I don't like the sound of your c section skatty! sounds like you had a bad time with it!)

HIya hun, i was on 15 tablets aday lol!!!!

they always deliver before 37 weeks that is what i was told

They induced me spot on 37 weeks they gave me 3 pessaries and then broke my waters and kept me hooked up to the moniter more or less all the time once they had done my waters, i then had him 5hrs after they had broken my waters

I wasn't told about having a c-section i think that would only be if it was emergancy and babys heart rate dropped rapidly

keep me posted hun :hug:

Hi, I only had a sction because I was very anxious about childbirth but looking back it couldn't have been worst than the section :rotfl: I also have to say I think my experience was very unusual.

I can't believe how well they are treating you at the hospital, its so good to hear because its worrying enough without having problems with the medics. I personally would have insisted that I wanted my baby at 37 weeks because your levels can rise dangerously after this time even on the medication.

My Mum's friend is a midwife and she sees about 4 women every week with OC! They are all induced at 37 weeks to be safe. If you are not going to be induced that early I would ask for daily monitering just so you know all is ok. If my poor Leorah was quiet I would poke her constantly, 'I think she used to get really fed up of me :rotfl:

Good luck and keep us posted :hug:

had my 2nd jab in my bum today and my liver scan. The results hadn't been put on the system when i went upstairs for my daily trace, but they are giving me the impression that it is the gall stones that have most prob caused the OC to raise its ugly head.

Stupid me picked up a gown with no ties at the back and ended flashing my knickers to half the waiting room. :oops:

Still i will know more tomorrow. Same treatment either way, unless they have found something else.
The hospital are being great. Apart from the fact that they don't really seem to talk to each other, they are really quite lovely. the other midwifes i was dealing with before they found out where a bit snobby. Didn't really seem to have the time of day for anyone.

Ive roughly been given an induction date of the 3rd dec (give or take a few days)

Was wondering if someone can help? Saw my midwife on Monday and mention I was getting a pain at the top of my bump on the right every now and again. She said as it was where my liver is they would do a liver function test. didnt think anything of it. Doctors surgery rung today and said I have to go in for repeat test on Wednesday as the levels were slightly raised.

I have severe eczema everywhere which has been uncontrollable at the moment. My hands are really itchy all the time and cracked and cant put them in water without them hurting. Only get eczema on hands in pregnancy. The tops of my feet are also so itchy esp at night. I have never mentioned this as I thought it was just ezcema and always used to itching. Doctors would not tell me anything other than going to re test as it was a receptionist who rung. If it is a liver funtion test, do you think they are concerned about OC. They know my ezcema has been bad as was on steriods 3 weeks ago. I am worried what it could be now and no one has told me anything. Did anyone else have these symptoms? I am also always hot and live in front of my fan even though it is nearly winter.

If anyone has any advice, can you please let me know as I am really worried.

Hannah X

I didn't have any pain in my liver, but i did (and still do) have very itchy hands and feet, and get hot very quickly. Also tired all the time, but it think that is down to the lack of sleep.

If you are worried, you could kick off a bit. My GP did and got my tests rushed through.

YEY! Bile acid levels have dropped from 32 to 11! still above the 3 they started at, but much better! MW mentioned 11 was still high for 'normal people', but a good level for someone with OC. :dance:

Also, found out that there are only two women in my hospital suffering from OC, and the other person is having a c section today. No wonder the student midwifes are all so eager to talk to me about it. we are rare!!!

and, in the last week, i have noticed in a couple of different books / mags about the condition! odd how you notice things more when they are linked to you! lol

in my previous pregnancy i had OC, though thankfully it didnt start until 38 weeks so i was induced 2 days after my due date, i had itching that was pretty severe, was scrubbing myself with a green scourer it was that bad,

apparently its more likely in subsequent pregnancies so im hoping i dont get it but if i do i know how bad it is having had it before,

quite worrying if you get it early on though :shock:

Sassyminx said:
apparently its more likely in subsequent pregnancies so im hoping i dont get it but if i do i know how bad it is having had it before,

Ive been told that it is likely to appear in future pregnancies if you have had it in the past, and the symptoms appear sooner.

Ive had to cut all my nails off because i was scratching so much! Its a lot better now though, i can resist scratching if i keep my hands and feet smothered in cream :)

Ive finally learned how to pronounce it correctly as well! hehe

samrbtson said:
Sassyminx said:

Ive been told that it is likely to appear in future pregnancies if you have had it in the past, and the symptoms appear sooner.

Ive had to cut all my nails off because i was scratching so much! Its a lot better now though, i can resist scratching if i keep my hands and feet smothered in cream :)

i was told that so im being very cautious and praying to god i dont get it again as i really dont want another induction as it was a bloody awful experience of having a baby, being stuck in hospital on your own til your partners allowed to come in at visitin times :roll:

Sassyminx said:
samrbtson said:
Sassyminx said:

i was told that so im being very cautious and praying to god i dont get it again as i really dont want another induction as it was a bloody awful experience of having a baby, being stuck in hospital on your own til your partners allowed to come in at visitin times :roll:

ooo.. don't say that! they are pretty good at my hospital. as long as the ward it quiet they will let OH sit with me when i am waiting for results and stuff.

Its nice to have a day to 'aim for' though.

How long did your induction take? Will they let you go 4 days like it says it could on the leaflet i have been given?

well i got induced and i went into full labour the following day, though there was a girl who was an IVF patient who had been induced and hers took 3 days in total, think it depends on the midwife, i was lucky to have the midwife who delivered my 1st and she was pretty happy to let me choose what happened, she gave me the option to break my waters or progress naturally, i think some midwifes probably wouldnt do that

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread - my eczema has been flaring up badly since I've got pregnant, so I checked with my MW today at my 28 week check-up (ok it was a day early lol) and she's sent me off to the hospital to get my bloods tested! Apparently her needles are too big for my veins lol, so I'm getting liver function tested at the same time as my iron levels. Apparently it takes 2 weeks for the results to come through as they need to go up to Birmingham. I'm so glad I'm getting this test - I told a gp (my practice has loads, and I've hardly seen the same one throughout lol) that my eczema was getting worse and more itchy, and that I was worried, and he just said, well not you're not yellow are you? So thanks again, xxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back