Please Read - OBSTETRIC CHOLESTASIS

:cheer: that is such good news, i ahve been thinking about you all day, i was anemic too, get a an aquaeous sp? cream from chemist for itching the tubs are huge and don't cost much about £2

I am soo pleased for you
thanks for letting me know, keep me posted :hug:

Thanks for your concern hunnie. I have some cream that the doc gave me...think its the same one you said, just gonna keep my eyes on the itchyness but hopefully everything looks like its gonna be ok.
Thanks again chick... :hug: :hug:

I went to bed earlier with a thumping headache and have just woken up with incredible itchiness on my arms, back, neck, chest etc. Then I remembered this post from weeks ago. Am seriously freaking out now, why does this sort of thing have to happen to me at like 4.30am when there is bugger all I can do about it except worry :roll:
One thing, does the itchiness come and go or is it constant and is it localised to just your arms?
Thanks hun

Hiya, my itching was mainly on my arms and legs
If it persists i would try and see your midwife ASAP iwas at about
the same stage as you when i starteed with it

My fingers are crossed it's nothing to worrry about

:hug:

Hi miraclebabe,
Try not to worry too much hun, I started with itchy arms and legs, saw my midwife as soon as I could and she took my bloods, got the results the next day and everything was fine, so you won't have to wait long but I would make an apt to see her ASAP as Jo said. Once again hunnie try not to worry to much, let us know how you get on.
:hug: :hug:

Hi all

I've been meaning to post on this thread since it was started.

I've had OC in all 3 of my pregnanys heres my expirences.

Ethan (now 6) I was about 35 weeks when I started with a slight itching ( just abit anoying), it gradually got worse but as it was my first I just thourght it was the "pregnancy itch" by the time I was 38 weeks the itch was starting to get quite unbarable, I would itch my feet with the side of a pumis stone and itched my hands until I'd caused them to bleed, my midwife noticed this at my 38wk appointment and took bloods all I was told were for a liver test but the condition was very rare, over the next 2 weeks the itch was driving me insane I couldn't sleep and spent quite a few nights crying even cold baths didn't help, the the day before my due date I got a phone call from the hospital they told me to go straight in.
They told me that I had OC and about the dangers and said they were inducing my that night, they took me upto the Labour ward and gave my the gel and I tryed to get some sleep I woke a 4am in the morning by a contration, I gave birth to Ethan 5 1/2 hours later I was very lucky with him as they told me that my placenta was very gritty as if I was a heavy smoker ( I don't smoke) and that he wouldn't have been getting nutrition for the last couple of days.

Was told by My MW that just because I had it once doesn't mean I'l get it again then....

With Callum (4) I told my midwife at the very first slight itch on my hand (at 36 wks) she took bloods straight away 5 days later I was admitted to hospital (OC again) lucky because I'd known straight away I was given medication to help the itching so didn't suffer with that this time, they kept me in hospital for a week and monitered the baby and took bloods every day! after 7 days they decided to induce and callum was born just over a week every (which no problems like the first time).

With lily I'd resided myself to the fact that I would get it again, I actually itched very slightly most the way through ( but was barely noticable) and had my bloods taken regually at about 34 weeks it did start to get abit worse but my Bile acid levels were rising but were still within normal levels so drs weren't concerned. then at 36weeks I was up from 2 am scratching my skin off by 11am I was in tears and phone the maternty ward, and they told me to go straight in, I had bloods taken at 2pm (by this time the itching was better as it is normally worse at night ) and the dr said that due to my history would start me on medication anyway and go back in a week for my blood results.
We went back on the wednesday a was monitered got my blood results, they had risen but still withing the limits (I argued that because the itching was better when the bloods were taken they would appear normal then but if the had been taken when I was really itching they would have been abnormal) and because I was on meds they couldn't test again, they also said that now the guidlines have changed and that even if I did have OC they'd just keep me on the meds and let me go to full term, anyway I got very upset about this and told they I wanted to be induced early and hubby agreed, so she went and spoke to my consultant and explaing how upset I was and he agreed to give it 1 try, so I went back 2 days later and was given some gel I didn't go straight into labour but becaused I'd dilated slightly they were able to break my waters the next morning and I had lily the same afternoon ( and see was the healthest and biggest out of all 3).

Sorry I don't mean to frighten any one once it is diagnosed it can be monitered and treated, but stand firm and don't let you drs fob you off, they thourght I was a nutter absolutly sobbing my eyes out but in the end I got what I wanted a very healthy little baby.

xSuzx

i think in the light of Skattys situation it show how important this thread is. I know Skatty mentioned she had read it and it had alerted her to seeking help as soon as the itching started.
Thankyou Jo. :hug:

Hi I though I would post my story here so any worried mum's to be in the future can see how hard their journey might be but that being persistant could resolve things. It is such a long story that I am actually pasting the email I sent to my worried friends and family so excuse the way its written and also that it is longwinded but hey so was my day :lol:

Before this day I had a week of nights with intense itching on my feet and the palms of my hands and had been given blood tests twice during this time. I was given 4 sleeping pills and it was when these ran out my DH rang to ask for more (as they meant I'd get 4 or 5 hours sleep). The doc on the phone was very concerned and said I had to come in for a day or two for observation but when I got there the following happened:

Well it all starts yesterday morning, I got to the hospital and was sent for
blood tests straight away. I then went back to the delivery place and was
told I had to wait and see a dermatologist. I knew that this was a waste of time but also understood that they have to eliminate everything.

While waiting I went for a wee and did it in a cup to do the usual
protien/glucose test and realised it was dark brown and really strong. I
kept the wee and Martin (my DH) told the midwife and she said she'd check it soon. Bear in mind that the doc the day before told Martin I was going in to be closely monitered for a day or two and I didn't even have my blood pressure checked or my tummy felt all day!

The midwife then came along and said I had an appointment with a
dermatologist at 11.30, I mentioned my wee again and she snapped she was too busy to look at it then as she had told my husband!! I thought it was a bit rude but had noticed she'd been quite busy drinking her coffee and eating a slice of cake shortly earlier!!!

Anyway just before my appointment Martin asked her what to do with the wee and she said chuck it away and I can do another one later! Please bear in mind I am supposed to be being observed for a liver disorder!

By the time we get to the dermatology dept I'm feeling very tired (after 3
hours sleep tops) and a bit upset that nothing seems to be happening.The
dermatologist asks me some questions and then tells me I have pregnancy itching!!!!!! Martin wouldn't have me being fobbed off so she gets another guy to come in and this tosser (sorry Mum but he was!) tells me I will have to put up with it until she's born and then very patronisingly said "it's your first pregnancy isn't it?" Well I went schitzo, I was hysterical, martin started arguing with them too and I left and everyone was staring because I'd been shouting "WHY IS NOONE LISTENING TO ME?". I know all about pregnancy itching and this isn't it! So basically they diagniosed me without even looking at my skin even though I told them I have painful cracks in my feet where i have rubbed them on the carpet for relief!

I,left the building still hysterical, (I had that crying wher you can't even breath properly) and Martin told them to come and find
us outside while they write up my notes. By now I was determined I was not going to stay overnight at the hospital and wanted to fly straight back to the UK!!Martin instead rang my personal midwife, who is fantastic and was the one who originally sent me for my initial blood tests when I mentioned the itch. He talked to her for ages and then she wanted to talk to me and said she was going to see if my latest blood results were ready and to find a doctor to come and talk with me.

(By the way in the meantime someone came and gave me my notes and they were taped up! I ripped them open straight away and they'd written me and my husband wouldn't accept there is nothing they can do for us! I'm so glad I have that in writing!)

Within 5 minutes of getting back to the delivery dept a doctor came to see me. It started off exactly the same. Basically my new blood results weren't ready but the last 2 showed that the liver test function was slowly rising but not enough for them to put me on medication.. As I have tried asking everyone I wanted to know if my liver biles were tested and finally I got the answer NO which I couldn't believe as they have even tested me for lukeamia! This is the important test that shows if I have bile in my blood which causes the itching and is a potential risk to Leorah. She started going on about how it is very normal to itch during pregnancy as the skin is stretching blah blah and I said for the final time "MY STOMACHE IS NOT ITCHING; ITS MY FEET AND PALMS!!!" Suddenly it was like a I'd waved a magic wand (or perhaps a lawsuit flashed before her eyes!) and she told me it sounded serious if its my feet and hands and they will put me on the tablets (ursofalk) because it is possible that the itching can start quite a while before the liver function goes off the scale, hallejuah!! She then said the magic words that the drugs are expensive so even though I am suffering and it could kill my baby they will leave putting you on medication until the last minute! It turns out that we had to pay £130 for the tablets (most of which we can claim back) for3 months so not a big lot of money in the big picture at all. Even if it turned out I don't have OC the tablets can't hurt me or Leorah so why the wait?

My midwife then came along and hugged me and apologised on everyone's behalf but we have already decided to write down everything that has happened in case we need it in the future. I would like to stress in all this we have had some crap people deal with us but the ones that weren't have taken it all very seriously and been wonderful like my midwife and the doctor Martin spoke to on the phone that wanted me in for observation. It was just unlucky that I had a day full of incompetent dickheads.

So finally I got my own way but there are women out there who haven't been so lucky and have ended up having stillbirths because everyone puts their itching down to pregnancy stretching. I still,have to go for regular tests but now I have the drugs I am basically safe. I see the consultant on Thursday and will make sure I am reassured that if need be they will do the section early.

The itching can take up to a week to let up but at least now when I am up in the middle of the night with my feet in iced water I don't have to be
worrying. I will try and sleep in the day for now.

I am so shaken by this experience and can't stop crying about what could have happened and for all those ladies that don't get diagnosed. It was when I read the sticky for this in 1st trimester that the baby next to Rachel's little Jamie died from this that I started to really panic it made the dangers so real.

Please insist on getting the appropriate tests if you itch, more rarely but quite possible the itch can be on your stomache so you will more than likely be immediately diagnosed with pregnancy itch but by doing 2 simple blood tests they can eliminate OC.

I went to itchymoms.com and they have a printed letter you can present to your midwife or doctor that tells them what tests need to be done and what medication to give if you have it. The moderator Melanie was also very prompt and helpful at answeing my questions.

Anyway I hope noone needs to bother with this :hug:

I've been itchy for the last week and the midwife has taken bloods to test for this today. She's going to ask the hospital to rush them through, so hopefully I should hear by tomorrow if they come back OK or not. :pray:

Oh good luck hun, the sooner you know the better and they can get you started on meds if needs be

Let us know the outcome

and feel free to ask me or xSuzx anything

Thanks very much, jo. It's good to know I can turn to people here for advice, or just to vent my anxieties.

I got my results through today. The good news is that they came back all clear, but my skin is still itching like mad! Does anyone know what else may be causing it? It doesn't seem to coincide with use of any cosmetics or any particular food, we haven't changed our washing powder (which is non-bio anyway). Are there any other conditions that develop during pregnancy that could be causing it? Any suggestions would be gratefully received, it's driving me mad!

Just itchy skin hun :?

so glad your results came back clear

Go get some aquaeous SP? cream from the chemist, it is dead cheap for a big tub and that should releive the itching, also Magicool spray is good

If it carries on though and gets too mch, get then to test again just to make sure as your levels could have been too low to show anything

Hi Cloughie, sorry I didn't see this but I'm glad your tests came back ok but as Jo said make sure you insist on being retested if you carry on itching. Where is the itching?

Just to update on this thread I was finally diagnosed with OC and am having my baby 3 weeks early. I am so glad that I was insistent and stamped my feet because even though my levels have gone down since I've been taking the medication they are still high. When you have this the bile levels can triple in 24 hours so its important that they keep monitering you and that you are able to have an early delivery.

I'm glad your levels are ok Cloughie but if you are itching on the hands and feet in particular and its worst at night please insist on being retested.

Hi skatty. The itching does tend to be worse at night, but I figured that it was probably because there was nothing to take my mind off it. The itching isn't confined to my hands and feet, though - it's all over, but probably worst on my arms and legs.

I'm glad your situation seems to be sorted now.

I'm seeing the consultant again on Tuesday. The itching has been more or less constant since Thursday night, if it continues over the next day or so I'll be sure to mention it to the consultant.

Thanks to you and jo for the advice. Jo - I've got a tub of aquaeous cream I used to use for my son's eczema, I'll give that a try tonight.

It's really weird you say it is mainly arms and legs
as thats where i was worse too, even though they tell you to look out for it on hands and feet.
And yeah deff mention it tommorow if it feels no better
Good luck hun :hug:

Skatty just out of interest are you haveing to take that tablet that is like a smartie??

jo said:
It's really weird you say it is mainly arms and legs
as thats where i was worse too, even though they tell you to look out for it on hands and feet.

On the BBC health link you posted it mentions the arms and legs as some of the areas that get the most intense itching, although none of the others seem to mention it - as you say, they just mention the hands and feet.

What does also worry me a bit is that I have been much more tired over the last couple of weeks, which I had just put down to being in the latter stages of pregnancy, but now I'm wondering. Also, I've been permanently hot, which I thought was a bit weird, because it's been a bit cooler of late. My appetite also isn't what it used to be. Then again, that could also be because my stomach is getting crushed! It's so difficult to know, because most of the symptoms are perfectly normal during the latter part of pregnancy anyway!

All I know is that I didn't suffer from this extreme tiredness, overheating, loss of appetite or itching with my last pregnancy. The itching is still with me today, maybe not quite so severe, but definitely still there. Fingers crossed the consultant doesn't just dismiss it tomorrow.

It seems silly, but I'm probably MORE worried now that the results have come back all clear, in case they have missed something, because something has to be causing it. I just don't want the baby to be in danger.

Skatty just out of interest are you haveing to take that tablet that is like a smartie??[/quote]

Hi Jo. my tablets are big capsules with powder inside.

Cloughie I also was tired and my appetite went. How is your urine? MIne was very dark and still is a lot of the time. If your arms and legs are itchy and it worst at night and not on the stomache then insist on a retest. Have you looked at the itchymoms.com site? There is good info on there and the coordinater answers any questions you may have really quickly. The doctor I saw said that the itching can start before the results start to show.

Its wierd but I think this is much more common than people think. My friend had a baby 5 years ago and was up all night with itchy feet at the end of her pregnancy. She was tested and it came back clear and she just put up with it but went into labour early which OC can cause. She now gets itchy feet every month before her period which can happen for some women. Now I have been diagnosed she is going to be really aware and insist on regular testing if she has itching in her next pregnancy.

I cannot imagine what a demanding princess the people at the hospital think I am but every demand has been worth it because I was right in the end. If you have a feeling something is up you are in the best position to know, its your body afterall. Please don't let them dismiss any concerns you have. I do hope you are ok and if you do get diagnosed the tablets really help the itching :hug:

stamp feet and throw a paddy 'til they listen thats my advice :D

Skatty i was on 15 tablets a day!!!!
iron
antihistamine
the smartie one( can't remembr what it was but it had chocolate inside!!)
and ones to do more with OC can't remember what they called either!!

I agree it is a lot more common than what people think
But i won't start on that rant :D

What time are you seeing consultant Cloughie???

Jo - I've got my scan at 3.30pm, and then I'm seeing the consultant afterwards.

Skatty - my urine has been dark most of the week, but today is much lighter again. Coincidentally, the itching has eased off a lot more over the last 24 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back