Please help??

First Baby White

Reaction score
Now I have reached 3rd Tri I am confused about alot of things i Read so I was hoping you lovely ladies could help me :D
When are you supposed to start drinking Raspberry Leaf Tea and how often??
When did you all start bouncing on your birthing balls??

and my personal favourite :oops: when did you start doing the perineal massages? What do you actually rub in??

Any info would be great as I feel completely lost now :lol:

Raspberry leaf tea can be drunk from 32 weeks starting with 1 cup a day and building up from there.
I started on the raspberry leaf capsules from 33 weeks, though some people say not until 37 weeks for them. I personally don't think it's a problem as they don't bring on labour and the more time they have to work the better.

I started using the birth ball regularly from about 30 weeks. I tend to rock on it rather than bounce, cos bouncing either makes me feel sick, or sets my heartburn off :lol:
I don't think it matters how soon you use it as it's more for getting baby in a good position than for bringing on labour.

I've never done the perinial massage, so don't know about that one

Where's Sherlock when you need her (kidding hun)

It is advisable to wait until the 32nd week of pregnancy before trying raspberry leaf tea as there is a concern that consumption before this time in the more fragile, earlier stages of pregnancy could lead to problems. Once you have reached the 32nd week of your pregnancy you could begin with one cup of raspberry leaf tea a day and gradually increase up to 4 cups or tablets a day (although this may vary in accordance with the strength of the blend and the manufacturers instructions).

I warn you though, it tastes disgusting - I now have the tablets!

As for birth ball bouncing, at my antenatal day they said they it was ok from 34 weeks but before that would 'depend on medical advice' but from people on here i think it's fine to do it whenever you like! The idea is that it helps baby get into a decent position.

the 'p' word massage http://www.babyworld.co.uk/information/birth/assisted_delivery/perineal_massage.asp
But basically 4-6 weeks before due date is when they recommend you start... and i believe people have been using oil to rub in, extra virgin olive oil or some such!

Hello,

I'm having the same confusion. I ordered a birth ball online the other day but don't know if it's too soon to use it. If it is I'll just use it like a giant space hopper :lol:

Perineal Massage can be done with olive oil, vitamin e oil, almond oil. You can begin it in the last 6- 8 weeks of pregnancy (I've done some research on this subject)

As for the rasberry leaf, I'm not too sure either but I do know you can start drinking the tea before you can start taking the tablets.

Alex xxx

ooohh good questions....

Can i just ask why are you advised to drink the raspberry tea? thats a new one for me!

LMP x

Raspberry leaf supposedly tones the uterus and as a result can make the second stage of labour shorter and easier. There was a trial in australia that found this to be true, as well as less need for the use of forceps.

If you search there are loads of threads about raspberry leaf in 3rd tri :D

I havent tried any of these things...Plan to do it with advice, as my pregnancy as been a little up and down lol

My mom used raspberry tea and ended up having an emergency section. Though I know it was nothing to do with it, it made me feel funny about it in the back of my head lol

Didn't push for long with my son. But I tore. So, I really want to try to p massage this time.

Most of the answers are similar to mine but I'll list what I did/am doing

Raspberry leaf tea from 32 weeks onwards. Starting with one cup a day and building up to 4 at 36/37 weeks. However the tablet form is meant to be far more effective but you can't start taking that till 36 weeks and again have to build up from 1/2 a day to 4. The tea is also good for helping healing after the birth also apparently. I am on tablets now as I could not face 4 cups of tea a day.

Birthing balls from 30 weeks onwards. But side to side motions and rocking backwards and forwards over bouncing. You need to keep your knees lower than your hips to be doing it properly. And feet planted firmly on the floor. The whole idea is to tilt forward and encourage baby downwards and into the correct position. Slouching or sitting/leaning back encourages baby to go back to back, so posture is everything on it (and in chairs, sofa etc, tilt forward and knees lower than hips from at least 35/36 weeks onwards)

Perineal massage from about 6-8 weeks before your due date. Daily, if possible twice a day. Olive or almond oil is fine. Has to be uncomfortable (stinging, burning sensation) so you'll know if its being done correctly. I found it really *ouch* the first week, but thats fine. And then as time goes on it gets easier which is the whole point.

I did post on perineal massage recently in 3rd tri and linked to a PDF with instructions on how to perform it etc. Have a search and I am sure you can find it. Its in the last few weeks on here :)

BabyBee said:
Where's Sherlock when you need her (kidding hun)

Hehe :lol: I'm here, a bit late but I'm here 8)

Posted on it before I saw this :p

midna said:
Didnt do any of it lol :D

Me neither (this time anyway). After trying everything under the sun to get Sean out which ended up in being induced at two weeks overdue I decided I would spare myself the hassle this time round.

jools02 said:
midna said:
Didnt do any of it lol :D

Me neither (this time anyway). After trying everything under the sun to get Sean out which ended up in being induced at two weeks overdue I decided I would spare myself the hassle this time round.

The things I'm doing are not meant to bring on early labour, just supposed to help it once it actually happens. Things like softening and toning the uterus to help second stage along and encouraging baby to get into a good birthing position was worthwhile to try for myself I think. And the massage is meant to be good as it does seem to be benificial against tearing.

I'm not going to bother with any of the bringing on labour stuff as I don't really think they work :lol: All will happen is I'll end up on the loo for a week probably :lol: Walking is about the only thing I'll be doing but I do lots of that anyways, so its not like I am changing things.

Sherlock said:
The things I'm doing are not meant to bring on early labour, just supposed to help it once it actually happens. Things like softening and toning the uterus to help second stage along and encouraging baby to get into a good birthing position was worthwhile to try for myself I think. And the massage is meant to be good as it does seem to be benificial against tearing.

I'm not going to bother with any of the bringing on labour stuff as I don't really think they work :lol: All will happen is I'll end up on the loo for a week probably :lol: Walking is about the only thing I'll be doing but I do lots of that anyways, so its not like I am changing things.

I'm all for the perineal massage and it has been proven to be beneficial. I've actually never done it and didn't tear the first time round (you watch, I'll tear from one end to the other now). :rotfl: I ball bounced til the cows came home and ended up with a back to back labour and he never engaged.
But I'm with you on all the bringing on labour stuff - none of it worked for me, but then again our bodies are all different I suppose and what works for some may not work for others.

Most of your questions have been answered so I wont repeat what has already been said :D

Just wanted to say that I really like the raspberry tea, its just like fruit tea which I drink anyway, so if thats what your into then you might like it, otherwise take the tablets if you dont fancy fruit tea. You should build up to 4 cups a day and I find it hard to drink 4 cups of tea (I only drink tea in the afternoon) so I make up 2 cups and leave them to go cold, then pop them into the fridge and have them as juice.

Also I have been using a ball since about 22 weeks and initially used it to sit on in the first few weeks because I was suffering from back ache, I have only just started to "rock" on it.

Hope that helps

Hi,

Never used any of these with my first two pregnancies but I'd recommend doing ANYTHING to avoid a back to back or tearing!!! I am going to try the massage and may see if I can get one of the balls - I used one when I was having my first little girl during labour.

Everyone has answered your question

ive been bouncing on my ball for ages now as it helps to get my little big monkey off my back.

the tea leaf yuck i hate herbal teas so i'll be opting for the tablets when i reach 37 weeks.

as for the P question ummmm im a bit unsure about doing this one to be honest it sound a bit weired.

if you dont already have one id get a gym/birthing ball as i fing mine invaluable.

sarah :wave:

geordie lass said:
as for the P question ummmm im a bit unsure about doing this one to be honest it sound a bit weired.

Its meant to really help fwiw :) I've been doing mine for a while now and its defo relaxed things a bit down there and its more pliable/stretchy. It is far from comfortable to actually do, but thats the point. But I reckon its worth it if it will help you deliver babys head and help prevent tearing and so on.

Its discussed in lots of pregnancy books and websites and advised :)

It needs to be started about 6 weeks before your due date to give it enough time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back