Old Maternity Notes

Woldo

Reaction score
Hi all!

Does any know how I can get a copy of the maternity notes from my first pregnancy/birth?

Send a letter to the medical records dept at your maternity hospital, they will probably send you a letter back requesting a cheque, usually around £30 - £50. Once you send off the cheque, they will send you a copy of your notes x

I rang the hospital I had my son at and the then sent me an invoice. Took about 8 weeks to get my records, and then half of them were missing.

I was thinking about this the other day, I have not had my first baby yet but I have decided I will photocopy my notes around my due date so I don't have to pay for a copy in future. Obviously won't have ALL my notes in but will have majority and I should be able to fill in the blanks x

I really wanna look back at my old notes, I do remember the birth but it was so long and tiring that some of it is a blur! Thanks ladies!

H16 I think u get a diff book in hosp of I remember correctly a yellow one for during labour?! I think thats what I had?

mummy to ds 11/7/11
pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

I got my whole file from the hospital for £50

it even had copies of the trace printouts when I was in labour! very hard to read though, as all handwritten and most of it written in a hurry. There is a lot I cant decipher. x

Ahhhh I haven't even looked the whole way through my green book in detail so just assumed it would be in there. Good to know it is a different book x

Ahhhh I haven't even looked the whole way through my green book in detail so just assumed it would be in there. Good to know it is a different book x

I can't remember if it was a different book for me??

I know my notes were taken when I left hospital though so no way of me copying them or even reading them (it was the last thing on my mind!!)

My friend had her's with her until her first MW visit when baby was a few days old - I read through them !!

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
I had my notes with me until first discharged for MW care. I had a look through them but didn't think to copy them. I'm sure I had a purple and yellow book?

I was thinking about this the other day, I have not had my first baby yet but I have decided I will photocopy my notes around my due date so I don't have to pay for a copy in future. Obviously won't have ALL my notes in but will have majority and I should be able to fill in the blanks x

I really regret not photocopying my last set of maternity notes. I think it's a great idea. My new GP doesn't have my old records on their computer system yet (been with them over a year now, so a little worrying!) and so when he filled in the request for medical information relevant to this pregnancy, he put "high cholesterol 2004" (from when I was at the surgery before - moved out of area then back) and considering I had a complex pregnancy with pre-eclampsia, IUGR and foetal distress, high cholesterol is the least of my worries!!!!

This is a good idea if baby hasn't arrived tommorrow I think il photocopy mine so far obv won't have labour bits in it but even so in fact I might just take photos with my phone now and upload them to computer later x

I was a bit miffed when my community midwife took my notes away once she signed me over to my health visitor. I wanted to keep them! I asked her where they go and she said they are kept at the hospital for the next pregnancy (what next pregnancy? lol). I kinda felt attached to my notes as I carried them around for 8 months. And wanted to read up on my birth too. £50 seems really expensive to get a copy!

I'd be an emotional wreck reading through mine.

I remember most of my labour so vividly, sadly it goes hazy when I was delivering - although I know that was my fave part :shock:

I am not sure of it would be a good thing for me seeing my notes after all this time? Nothing terrible happened, I have no unanswered questions as such and we were both fine!

xxxxxxx

I was a bit miffed when my community midwife took my notes away once she signed me over to my health visitor. I wanted to keep them! I asked her where they go and she said they are kept at the hospital for the next pregnancy (what next pregnancy? lol). I kinda felt attached to my notes as I carried them around for 8 months. And wanted to read up on my birth too. £50 seems really expensive to get a copy!

The postnatal notes are put back with your antenatal/labour notes and kept for 25 years in case of litigation against the Trust/MW's. It is that long so that the child who would then be an adult has an opportunity to sue if the parent hasn't. You can always ask for a labour debriefing if you had a traumatic labour/birth. They can do this in hospital or at home if you wish it.

I contacted the hospital and was sent a form to fill in to request what i wanted copies of and it cost me £30......... most interesting part to read was the notes the mw was completing throughout the birth, as that was something that i had never seen :)

I'm going to contact the hospital were I gave birth today! Looking forward to reading through them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back