New BLW's - Share Here

Hey piglet, try a weetabix for breakfast. But only put a few spoonfuls of milk on it, and the baby can actually pick it up themselves!

Also, I know what you mean about actual dinners. I've given cheese on toast, and a hit: mashed sardines with cottage cheese all mushed on toast.

I've not tried pasta with sauce yet...

Hey piglet, try a weetabix for breakfast. But only put a few spoonfuls of milk on it, and the baby can actually pick it up themselves!

Also, I know what you mean about actual dinners. I've given cheese on toast, and a hit: mashed sardines with cottage cheese all mushed on toast.

I've not tried pasta with sauce yet...

That's a great idea, thank you. And thanks for the tip on the sweet potatoes, I've made them as wedges the last couple of times and she loves them. On Saturday she sucked all the flesh off two and left the skins! Tried making sweet potato mash with her milk tonight - she is not interested AT ALL! As soon as she saw the wedges though, she was deffo up for it! I think I'm just wasting my time with any sort of puree/mash!

I might do cheese on toast tomorrow x

Organix Apple Ricecakes with a bit of Plum fromage frais spread over them are a big hit!

How amazing are those rice cakes? They're 2 bags for £1.50 in Asda :) x

Ooh! I don't har an asda near me, but may look in tesco/waitrose

I'm going to get some plum yogurts as well :)

Piglet, glad the sweet potato worked!

I've found the best thing - baby loves it and easy for him
To eat - is any sort of fish!! Xx

Organix Apple Ricecakes with a bit of Plum fromage frais spread over them are a big hit!

How amazing are those rice cakes? They're 2 bags for £1.50 in Asda :) x

Ooh! I don't har an asda near me, but may look in tesco/waitrose

I'm going to get some plum yogurts as well :)

Piglet, glad the sweet potato worked!

I've found the best thing - baby loves it and easy for him
To eat - is any sort of fish!! Xx

They will do them in Tesco for deffo!
Do you us fresh fish or would you say mackerel in sunflower oil (drained) would be OK? I have this all the time for lunch so would be good if B could have a bit too.

Had a mixed lunch today: tomato & carrot rice cake with cheese spread, a blueberry rice cake dipped in a plum yog (mango & pear is it?) - this went down a treat! A good few spoons of the yoghurt itself, a spoon of my parsnip & ginger soup & a couple of teeny spoons of sweet potato mash. We're getting there. She had more porridge at breakfast today - it was a C&G jar one and looked really gloopy so didn't think she'd be keen but she had a go. And she also munched a couple of toast fingers with olive spread.

What other fruit do you give? She loves mango but I got a bad batch last time - hard & rubbery. Thinking satsumas might be quite easy? X

I tried roasted sweet potato today for lunch and she loved it. We had quite a bit of gagging, probably because she was furiously stuffing it all into her mouth at once and couldn't get enough of it! But she coped brilliantly. I think I'm starting to relax a bit more with it now.

I tried roasted sweet potato today for lunch and she loved it. We had quite a bit of gagging, probably because she was furiously stuffing it all into her mouth at once and couldn't get enough of it! But she coped brilliantly. I think I'm starting to relax a bit more with it now.

These are lush aren't they? How's Poppy getting on? x

Well, plenty of sweet potato in her poo this morning! :smug: So she's definitely starting to swallow things.

Loving this thread - picked up some weetabix yesterday to give that a try, as well as some mango as she hasn't tried that yet, plus we're having pitta & hummus for lunch.

Brooke sounds like she's doing fab :)

We found sweet potato in Brooke's poo too! Well done Poppy!

We did weetabix for breakfast and it worked really well. Added a little bit of her milk over the top and it was soft enough to chew but firm enough to hold - perfect! So will def be alternating between that and toast and forgetting the porridge altogether. She's not interested in anything on a spoon unless she does it herself!

Loving this thread too. Great to share ideas xx

I also have found porridge didn't really catch his interest!

This morning, Arthur had a spinach and cheese omelette. I do it in a tiny pan, and then when it cools cut it into
Fingers :)

I'm giving avocado slices and hummus on ciabatta for lunch!!!

Xx

guys, if you can, have a baby led weaning lunch! we had one yesterday, we sat all the babies round a low table and everybody brought a couple of things. some of the babies even fed each other. v v messy but really good fun. :lol:

oh belfast girl that sound ssooooo fun! I never had any friends who were blw, would have loved to have done that!

well none of us are doing blw offically, all the babies are eating something off a spoon but they all eat finger food! it was great as babies just copy each other so once emma saw someone eating some orange, she did it too although before she was pretending she didn't like it! you did have to keep an eye on the food to make sure none of it was eaten twice!!

nice for the babies to see the social aspect of food!

guys, if you can, have a baby led weaning lunch! we had one yesterday, we sat all the babies round a low table and everybody brought a couple of things. some of the babies even fed each other. v v messy but really good fun. :lol:

I don't know anybody who does it :( But am really, really forcing myself to join some mummy clubs so I might come across other people doing it.

Poppy isn't a fan of porridge either, she always spits it out. She won't be spoon-fed either! She'll let me do it once or twice then puts her hands up to her face/turns away. x

Hopeful - you have all the best ideas! Omlette is a great idea for lunch, I might get my hubby to make some at the weekend for my birthday (he's the official omlette maker in our house, I'm in charge of scrambled egg ;-)) and then B can have some too.

We skipped lunch as my plans got a bit scuppered but Brooke had some banana - left the skins on and she found the flesh - and half a rusk (bit naughty but it's reduced sugar).

I boxed up anything I have that is puree related! I just thought what's the point in keeping it in the cupboard, clogging up space I desperately need when I know B won't eat it. I bought some jars from the Baby & Toddler event at Asda but I'll just give them to a friend (personally I found them gross & even Al was like "what is that?" when it came out of the jar in a big gloop!)

So - the only way is up with BLW! I am so much more relaxed now with the gagging. She is SO clever, I really trust her. She will cough with no trouble or panic and bring food back out if she can't swallow it or doesn't want it - in fact, I'm sure she thought this was a game earlier!

I'm going to look at my BLW recipe book tonight and start doing other bits other then the obvious finger foods, need to be a bit braver! xxx

Last edited:

I don't know anybody who does it :( But am really, really forcing myself to join some mummy clubs so I might come across other people doing it.

Poppy isn't a fan of porridge either, she always spits it out. She won't be spoon-fed either! She'll let me do it once or twice then puts her hands up to her face/turns away. x

If you come back down this way to your Mums at all, me and my small girl will meet up with you for a BLW lunch :petal: x

Thanks piglet :) its really trial and error. I've only cooked one thing from that blw book - the lamb patties. Arthur seemed to like them! (and my mum actually made them for him!!)

I feel like I need to have an evening a week, or time at the weekend to make stuff like that for the freezer, as feel like I only have time to make quick things.

What did you guys give for dinner tonight? I did cougette, which he loves, and toast with
Tomato purée and melted cheese :) (like a pizza I Guess!) I also peeled a plum and gave it to him whole which was funy to watch him try and pick up!

Happy birthday for this weekend, piglet!

If you come back down this way to your Mums at all, me and my small girl will meet up with you for a BLW lunch :petal: x

Oh, I'd love to do this, but all babies I know are spoon fed :(

hopeful - you guys will have to have lunch with me and owen soon :)

as to what to feed the little mites, from 8 months we gave Owen everything we were having even if it meant it as trickier for him to grasp. If is was pasta we got really large fusili (asda extra secial range has this) and he had the same sauce as us, but as we'd eat about 8 when my oh got home we'd cook extra and save it for him to have the next day. From 8 months he was having what we had but the next day, if that makes sense, stir fry, fish, fish pie, rissotto anything and everything.

good tips for rice were to mix it with cream cheese to make it into balls. Owen loved fish too and so easy to eat at the start.

loving reading how youre all getting on :)

Thanks piglet :) its really trial and error. I've only cooked one thing from that blw book - the lamb patties. Arthur seemed to like them! (and my mum actually made them for him!!)

I feel like I need to have an evening a week, or time at the weekend to make stuff like that for the freezer, as feel like I only have time to make quick things.

What did you guys give for dinner tonight? I did cougette, which he loves, and toast with
Tomato purée and melted cheese :) (like a pizza I Guess!) I also peeled a plum and gave it to him whole which was funy to watch him try and pick up!

Happy birthday for this weekend, piglet!

I read that the carrot cake was quite nice from there but I'm trying to limit the amount of sweet/treat bits she has. I feel like a terrible Mother if I give her a 1/4 of a rusk!

Oh thank you! I feel old! x

Sorry to gate crash again but the meatloaf from the blw cook book is lush and DS loved it. Also the savoury flapjacks and the porridge fingers were big hits! Porridge fingers were great for breakfast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back