New BLW's - Share Here

Today Arthur had

Omelette and mango for breakfast
Lamb patties for lunch
Mackerel, peas and spinach for dinner (pressed together in shapes sonhecould pick
Them Up), followed by plain yoghurt and blueberries mashed in. - I had to pretty much feed him
That, although he liked holding the spoon as well
And guiding it to his
Mouth,

Can Someone tell me how to post up pics, as ive got some brill ones. Failing that, I'll be updating my blog - link below - with more pics and meals xx

HELP! We tried Poppy on more banana tonight, and we both totally freaked out when she gummed off a huge chunk and it went to the back of her mouth. OH jumped up and intervened, but ended up pushing it further back in her mouth. I told him this is exactly the reason why we shouldn't intervene! But I can understand why he did, I was on the edge of my seat and completely terrified it would lodge in her throat. Already I'm doubting if I'm going to be able to cope, I'm SO scared!

Any tips on helping to overcome this?!

Last edited:
1. NEVER EVER put your finger in a baby's mouth To try and remove food.This can actualy cause te food to be lodged further back and actually end up making the baby choke.
2. Do a first aid course. This really gave me confidence.
3. Know the difference between choking and gagging - choking is totally, utterly silent and needs intervention - back slaps etc. as long as baby is making any noise, coughing, etc, just breathe and leave them. It's a natural reaction. It's like when we put something too far back in our throat (I'm thinking I one thing in particular!!!), we gag. Sometimes it can seem to last forever.
4. Know that it does get easier. It took me a couple of weeks, but I no longer jump! Also, very quickly the babies stop gagging so much.

Last edited:
Oh also, they told us at our first aid course that choking - proper, real choking is very Rare. The guy had only seen 2 cases of it in his 40 year career. He said the rest were parents freaking out that the baby was choking, but it wasn't ...

HELP! We tried Poppy on more banana tonight, and we both totally freaked out when she gummed off a huge chunk and it went to the back of her mouth. OH jumped up and intervened, but ended up pushing it further back in her mouth. I told him this is exactly the reason why we shouldn't intervene! But I can understand why he did, I was on the edge of my seat and completely terrified it would lodge in her throat. Already I'm doubting if I'm going to be able to cope, I'm SO scared!

Any tips on helping to overcome this?!

:hugs: Firstly, is Poppy OK? And are you OK? Has your heart gone back into your chest now? :shock:

Tbh - I'm exactly the same, am a nervous wreck! B did the same with mango in the week and I pulled it out of her mouth. :oooo: Luckily for me, Al is very chilled about it and has said let her learn and we do the chewing movements and give smiley reassuring faces.Tonight she had broccolli and took a few big bits and I was flapping and Al was like "just let her do it", plus if she sees us chewing she seems to slow down and take her time. I'm hoping as she get's bigger that this will pass. The gagging does help them learn and I could see B chewing at the front of her mouth tonight so I think she is learning.

Btw, I got one of those sheets from Poundland and it's shite. Threw it away after first use. We are feeding B in Bumbo at mo so all mess just goes on table x

1. NEVER EVER put your finger in a baby's mouth To try and remove food.
2. Do a first aid course. This really gave me confidence.
3. Know the difference between choking and gagging - choking is totally, utterly silent and needs intervention - back slaps etc. as long as baby is making any noise, coughing, etc, just breathe and leave them. It's a natural reaction. It's like when we put something too far back in our throat (I'm thinking I one thing in particular!!!), we gag. Sometimes it can seem to last forever.
4. Know that it does get easier. It took me a couple of weeks, but I no longer jump! Also, very quickly the babies stop gagging so much.

This is really great advice - thank you! Will stop shoving my fingers in her gob :blush: x

Thanks girls. I know we both need to chill out, and we'll get used to it and relax eventually. It's just bloody scary at first! I think I'll wait a couple of weeks before trying again, then at least she's nearer to 6 months and might be sitting up a little better by then.

I won't bother with poundland, then! I do need something though, as there was mashed banana all over the place under the highchair! I'll look on ebay :)

Lulu i love the photo of Poppy with the banana, when I saw it I thought how comfortable she looked with it. I hope you continue with BLW. I haven't started yet as TP is a bit young but that didnt stop him trying to pick some sushi up the other day.....i didnt get a pic of it but i did get one of him trying to pick up the plate and chopsticks! Swiftly taken off him so he didnt take his or someone eye out!!

img01714201201191409.jpg

Good luck ladies x it's such a brilliant experience and one I wouldn't swap for the world!!! Enjoy every minute xx

I love how chubby Tomis, the dimples on their hands are adorable! He looks like he is ready to start grabbing food.

I don't know which route to go down yet, start with puréed food or wait til 6 month and blw? so finding this interesting

really appreciate this thread, gonna keep stalking. im fed up of older people telling me to give ella a rusk to help her settle...shes 9 weeks old!! i am keen to give the BLW a go but tbh i know very little about it.. am i right in thinking its basically giving the baby food and letting them do what they please with it resulting in them getting used to different textures/favours etc or is there a bit more to it that im missing?

Can't wait to start BLW. Think we r goingto start in about 3 weeks over the half term holiday then me and OH will both be at home to do it. We've given Hol water from a free flow cup and she drank it like she had been doing it forever the first time and loves sitting having a drink while we eat tea!

haven't managed to get the pictures on the laptop yet but F had some right fun with steamed carrot sticks yesterday! he took some big chunks off and I though he'd spat them all out . . . but found some in his nappy this morning :smug:

I will admit I've also spoon fed him some yoghurt and baby cereal . . . he seem to love the yoghurt, but hates the cereal! he's very happy to let me feed him, I give him a spoon and he just holds it the whole time, and will occasionally guide my hand to his mouth :)

If you are giving yoghurt or something is it ok to give them their own spoon, and then spoon feed them with one as well. My mum did this with us and she said we soon got the hang of it ourselves. Will be following this thread as we are planning on BLW, obviously not yet lol but want to find out as much as possible first.

If you are giving yoghurt or something is it ok to give them their own spoon, and then spoon feed them with one as well. My mum did this with us and she said we soon got the hang of it ourselves. Will be following this thread as we are planning on BLW, obviously not yet lol but want to find out as much as possible first.

Some people dip the spoon in for them so they can lick it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back