New BLW's - Share Here

Aww she's loving that green beans, Jen!

Yesterday we gave Poppy some steamed carrot batons, but OH couldn't handle it and took them away from her. He is really, really struggling to deal with it. We then gave her some of these http://www.organix.com/Our-Foods/organic-carrot-sticks - which she LOVED, and chewed and swallowed pretty much all of the 3 we gave her :) OH coped better with them because they're not very hard.
I also gave her some baby porridge in the morning, and I admit I ended up just giving it to her myself on a spoon.

I'm not sure how long we're going to be able to carry on with BLW when OH isn't able to handle it. Poppy is his daughter as well and it's not just MY decision. I have to respect his, as well. So we'll see how it goes. In all honesty, I'm still struggling with it, too.

I did the same with carrot! Just ended up taking them away. Maybe just do really soft veg with her - broccoli, peppers, mushrooms, green beans until she gets a bit bigger? I've been doing the same with porridge/yoghurts etc I give B spoon but end up giving her the majority myself! I'm crap at this BLW lark! x

Having a really good BLW day (so far!)

I got lots of nice bits for B at the weekend; fresh fruit & veg plus some organic porridges and yogurts at the ASDA baby & event, so this week I wanted to try giving her little bits at breakfast, lunch and dinner. I figure the only way we're going to progress with this is to keep at it! And she is really doing fab. She already seems to know the stuff on the spoon she needs to eat differently, to the things she handles with her hands.

So for breakfast we had Organix Banana Porridge - I split the tub into three (still gauging how much she wants/needs at each meal) and she finished it all. She wants to feed herself until she realises she's hungry, then she opens her mouth for me to do it with my spoon! Lunch was Organix Tomato Rice cakes (these are lush!) with a little bit of Light Philadelphia cheese spread - she sucked and licked all the cheese off and had a good gnaw on the rice cakes! She then had some mango fingers - she LOVES mango. There were some really soft juicy bits and she pulled these off with her gums and chewed them and swallowed them! And then I gave her pre-loaded spoons of Plum sugar-free yogurt (I can highly recommend these, they're lovely!) She was getting a bit fed up by this point so had a little play and let me give her a couple of spoonfuls before she'd had enough!

Not sure what to do for dinner yet - maybe some babycorn - I know she likes this. Or maybe some pasta as she's not tried that before. x

Last edited:
Having a really good BLW day (so far!)

I got lots of nice bits for B at the weekend; fresh fruit & veg plus some organic porridges and yogurts at the ASDA baby & event, so this week I wanted to try giving her little bits at breakfast, lunch and dinner. I figure the only way we're going to progress with this is to keep at it! And she is really doing fab. She already seems to know the stuff on the spoon she needs to eat differently, to the things she handles with her hands.

So for breakfast we had Organix Banana Porridge - I split the tub into three (still gauging how much she wants/needs at each meal) and she finished it all. She wants to feed herself until she realises she's hungry, then she opens her mouth for me to do it with my spoon! Lunch was Organix Tomato Rice cakes (these are lush!) with a little bit of Light Philadelphia cheese spread - she sucked and licked all the cheese off and had a good gnaw on the rice cakes! She then had some mango fingers - she LOVES mango. There were some really soft juicy bits and she pulled these off with her gums and chewed them and swallowed them! And then I gave her pre-loaded spoons of Plum sugar-free yogurt (I can highly recommend these, they're lovely!) She was getting a bit fed up by this point so had a little play and let me give her a couple of spoonfuls before she'd had enough!

Not sure what to do for dinner yet - maybe some babycorn - I know she likes this. Or maybe some pasta as she's not tried that before. x

We've had some of the plum yogurt today - Poppy loves them! We also had Organix porridge for breakfast funnily enough, but she wasn't a big fan, she just spat it all out. But she finished a whole mini pot of the PLUM strawberry fromage frais (she also played with the pot).

We're going to give her some well-steamed broccoli tonight and I've got some sweet potato as well, which we're having with our dinner tomorrow so I'll try her on that, too.

I like the idea of philadelphia on rice cakes :)

Attachments

• yog6.jpg
    yog6.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 10
  • yog3.jpg
    yog3.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Rice cakes deffo a big hit. They're Organix too. Sweet potato will be the same as carrot though I find, bits break off and unless it's really soft she'll spit it out or maybe gag a bit. Maybe sweet potato mash if she's gagging quite badly? x

Rice cakes deffo a big hit. They're Organix too. Sweet potato will be the same as carrot though I find, bits break off and unless it's really soft she'll spit it out or maybe gag a bit. Maybe sweet potato mash if she's gagging quite badly? x

We've only actually had one proper gagging moment - it's just the fear that's making us take things away from her! :oooo: But yeah, good point... I think mashed sweet potato is a better idea than sticks of it :)

Just cut the sweet pot into wedges, brush with oil and bake. Then, when they come out I cut off the ends. They are a bit hard outside but like
Mash inside so by cutting off the ends, as Arthur is gnawing at it, the smooth mash bit comes out.

Also, I'd check that the sugar free yogurts don't hae sweeteners like aspartame or saccharin in them. I'd stay well away if so! Better off giving plain yogurt with blended fruit xxx

Thanks. They say no added sugar, so they're just naturally sweet from the fruit. In fact the ingredients just say Organic whole milk 80%, Organic fruit blend 20%, and that's it :)

Am I right in thinking babies can have normal cows milk from 6 months? It would be easier to make her cereal this way, rather than using her formula (she still has 5x 7oz bottles of formula a day).

The Plum yogurts are one of the only brands that do sugar/sucrose/fructose free - it's a nightmare trying to find others. I've got some Petit Filous Naturals too but haven't tried these yet.

Lou - not sure about the cows milk; have you Googled? x

i was worried about the suger content of yoghurt as well so i make my own and add puree - at least then i know that she has had some actual fruit? although i have to make double as its really nice.

Hi girls!

I started the TW with my LO at 5 months and although she really enjoyed it at first we've been struggling over the past few days. She's sticking her tongue out and turning her head away :( I have a freezer full of cubes of food I have pureed up. I'm beginning to dread each meal time now as she simply does not want it.

I'm thinking of just giving up on it all and trying BLW. I have given her steamed broccoli, cauliflower and mango pieces. The only thing I worry about is how much iron she will, or won't be getting.

With BLW do you just continue with the same amount of milk feeds until they are a certain age/until they refuse it? How does BLW work?

Sorry for being a bit thick :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
When is the earliest you can blw? I couldnt have a sandwich in peace today

sent from my Galaxy s2

I started at 5 1/2 months.

Tbh, I don't see any harm in Putting him in his bumbo and letting him play with a
Bit. He prob won't eat any...

He provably wont but he was trying to grab my avocado and making chewing motions with his mouth. Maybe i will wait until he is 5 months and try. He is probably copying me?

sent from my Galaxy s2

I agree with hopefulmummy. We let poppy sit with us at the table and play with food for a while before starting the weaning.

Organix Apple Ricecakes with a bit of Plum fromage frais spread over them are a big hit!

Afternoon ladies :)

How's everyone getting on? We've had a mixed couple of days. Some days Brooke is really interested in food, other days she can't be arsed. I tried a few puree's with her which initially she liked but she always comes back to wanting to feed herself. I find this the hardest at breakfast as there's really only so much I can give her - it's too cold for fruit in the morning and porridge I try to help her with but it still ends up all over her face and the bowl is always thrown! I know it's totally against the principle of BLW but I hate the mess! I have carpet in my dining room and it has already been splattered with broccoli and yoghurt! Not to mention Brooke just kicked a pot of yoghurt at my crotch which you can imagine what that looks like...!

I think BLW is deffo for Brooke; I will try and offer her bits with the spoon too but she likes to be in control. As soon as I try to spoon feed her she turns her head away - I can see now why some Mums really struggle with TW when the baby just wants to do it themselves.

The gagging is a lot less now and she seems to know what to do with food more. I'm trying to give her bits for breakfast, lunch and dinner but some days she's napping at lunch or she's tired leading up to dinner time so we're doing it all around her on the day really. I haven't tried any actual meals yet, if that makes sense. She's had a lot of veg and fruit (mango is a big hit!) Breakfast is porridge of some sort, I give her rice cakes with cheese spread, fruit and yoghurt for lunch normally. And dinner so far is just veg: green beans, baby corn, broccoli (also a fav!) I'm not sure if I should dive straight in with pasta and meatballs or something? Here's some pics of her having breakfast! x

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

004.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27