Mushrooms - whats the difference?

SarahH

Reaction score
I absolutely hate mushrooms, but am trying to be a good Mummy and lead by example and start cooking with them for Arianna. So far I've added them into saucy things like Spag bol and lasagne...

Anyways, what is the difference with all the different types... button, chesnut, shittake..... which are the best and nicest flavor?

TBH for young children I'd stick to plain old button mushrooms in cooking. I encourage kids to eat them raw also as some don't like them cooked. Plate of carrot sticks, cucumber slices and raw mushrooms go down a treat.

Others tend to have more flavour, often nuttier and also cost a bit more.

I'd start with simple and work toward other ones as and when, if a recipe calls for them for example.

Thank you!! I have just been adding button mushrooms to things so far, but wasn't sure.

She loves all her other veggies/fruit.... even gets excited at the site of an avacado as it's her fav! :D

SarahH said:
Thank you!! I have just been adding button mushrooms to things so far, but wasn't sure.

She loves all her other veggies/fruit.... even gets excited at the site of an avacado as it's her fav! :D

That's great she loves veggies and fruit so much :) Avacado is yummy I have to say. I'm all for them trying it all and seeing what they like and don't like. Good thing is, there are so many to choose from, even if they only like 10 things, thats still plenty of variety and you can try introducing other things again later on.

I adored watermelon when I was younger. The kids I looked after used to demolish a whole one in one go. Same with a honeydew melon. In summer it was all they would eat for pudding or a snack :lol:

Lychees are a good one to try when in season. Just buy a couple loose and see if she likes them maybe?

Nutritionally, the plain old button mushroom is a rich as the posher, pricier types :)

I read that in a mag somewhere recently :think:

gosh u kno what i forgot about mushrooms! im a really picky eater and altho i dont class myself as veggie (coz i eat sweets with gelatine) i dont eat meat. but i try to give milliepops a varied diet and include meat, eggs and stuff that i dont eat myself. i never thought of mushrooms tho!

It took me 28 years to eat a Mushroom! I love them now though.

I love mushrooms!

I dont really taste the difference in the types, just the shape and price

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back