**Your Guide to the Upgraded Forum**

Urchin

Reaction score
Welcome to you new forum, and HUGE thanks to LauraB for organising it for us!

Although this forum is still a "phpbb" board, this is now version 3, before we had version 2.
This means the board can do a lot more funky stuff, and should be easier all round for people to use, once you get the hang of it :)

Before asking any questions, PLEASE make sure the answer isn't in this post or in the Frequently Asked Questions There is a link to the FAQ at the top of every page. Here are a few of the things you might have questions about:

Sub-Forums

You may notice that some forums now have sub-forums inside them, so if you are looking for a forum and you can't see it, check inside a similar forum. For example, TV, Film and Entertainment can now be found inside Off-Topic. "Find a buddy" is now a sub-section of "Introduce yourself" These are not all set in stone yet, we may do some more tweaking as we go along, all suggestions welcome.

Forum Icons

On the forum index page the new icons are these:
forumicons2.jpg

This one
forum_read_subforum.gif
means the forum has sub-forums inside :)
In other sections, these icons are used
forumicons.jpg

This one is really cool....:
topic_read_mine.gif
it means you have posted a reply in this topic :)

After each post on the forum you will see this icon
icon_post_report.gif
which means Report post" by clicking on this, then entering a reason, you can notify mods of problem posts, for example advertisements or someone being rude etc. When a mod comes online they can check to see if we have been sent any reports.

Your "User Control Panel"

- You can access your control panel by click on the link on the top right of each forum page. It has details of any threads you are watching information on your avatar, signature etc.

Subscriptions
What is the difference between bookmarking and subscribing?
Bookmarking in phpBB3 is much like bookmarking in your web browser. You aren’t alerted when there’s an update, but you can come back to the topic later. Subscribing, however, will notify you when there is an update to the topic or forum on the board via your preferred method or methods.

How do I subscribe to specific forums or topics?
To subscribe to a specific forum, click the “Subscribe forum” link upon entering the forum. To subscribe to a topic, reply to the topic with the subscribe checkbox checked or click the “Subscribe topic” link within the topic itself.

How do I remove my subscriptions?
To remove your subscriptions, go to your User Control Panel and follow the links to your subscriptions.

Friends and Foes List

You can use these lists to organise other members of the board. Members added to your friends list will be listed within your User Control Panel for quick access to see their online status and to send them private messages. Subject to template support, posts from these users may also be highlighted. If you add a user to your foes list, any posts they make will be hidden by default.

How can I add / remove users to my Friends or Foes list?
You can add users to your list in two ways. Within each user’s profile, there is a link to add them to either your Friend or Foe list. Alternatively, from your User Control Panel, you can directly add users by entering their member name. You may also remove users from your list using the same page.

-Moderators and warnings

The mods can now warn a user by clicking an icon next to their names, warnings disappear after a set amount of time, at the moment this is set to 30 days.

We hope you enjoy the forum and have fun checking everything out, PLEASE try to find out the answer to any questions you have by reading the FAQs first, and if you have any questions ask them HERE in this thread so we can try to help you.

:)

First of all, huge thanks to everyone for your patience yesterday - I hope you were comfortable in the Emergency Bunker! I have to say, you ARE a bunch of chatterboxes - the size of the database that I had to convert was phenomenal, and was the main reason why the upgrade took so long yesterday!

I just want to let you know that I will be adding more great features to the forum over the coming weeks - however the most important job yesterday was getting you all over safely to the new forum, along with your profiles, post counts, previous posts, etc. We had no choice but to upgrade really - there will no longer be any security updates released for the old version of the software and, as some of you will remember, we got hacked a few months ago which wasn't pleasant for any of us.

Now that you are all safely here, you'll see that there are lots of new features for you to play with. Some of you were worried about change (you're not alone - I hate change too :lol:) ... but I hope you'll agree that the new software isn't really that scary at all! It's got most of what you had before, along with some great new features, but you don't have to start exploring those features until YOU are ready 8)

I've got a list of things that I'm going to be improving on the forum over the coming weeks but again, don't worry - they won't all be done at once! For starters, you might have noticed that you cannot change your style (colour scheme) in your User Control Panel - I will be adding more styles over the next few days, so that you can change the look of the forum to suit you - I just ran out of time yesterday.

For the smiley addicts who couldn't get enough of the new smileys on the temporary forum yesterday, I will be adding to our smiley range over the next few days (you'll probably notice that some are missing too - again, it's all down to time constraints but I will be working on the forum a little each day, work and Oliver permitting!).

If there are extra features that you were hoping to see but they aren't currently here, don't worry - likely they're on my to-do list, but if you want to jot them down below then that will be a big help. As well as time constraints, I will always test each feature/modification thoroughly before I install it - there's no point in installing five new mods, suddenly discovering there's an issue with the forum becoming slow and not knowing which mod caused it! I'd rather take it gradually to ensure that no problems crop up.

I hope you are pleased with the new software :) As Urchin says, jot any questions down below and we'll do our best to help you. If we're not around and you spot a question below that you think you can help out with, please go ahead and and join in (not only will it help the person asking, it will help us too :wink:)

And finally, a big up to Urchin who was a star last night in helping to organise, check and tweak LOADS of last-minute stuff, including the help guide above and the organisation of the new sub-forums :clap:

It's looking fantastic!!!!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: for all of you!!!

I mentioned it in the Emergency Bunker, but I would love a quick reply box underneath the posts so that we don't have to navigate away from the main post page! I know I'd be able to post more, every second counts!!

ROFL smiley, quick reply, are both on the to-do list, along with the "spolier" thingy we were playing with on the emergency bunker.

by the way... we have also noticed how slow it is at the moment and Laura is contacting the tech support people.

*Star* said:
I mentioned it in the Emergency Bunker, but I would love a quick reply box underneath the posts so that we don't have to navigate away from the main post page! I know I'd be able to post more, every second counts!!

oooh...yeah I liked that feature too

Loving the idea of the quick reply box too..... new forum is looking great, thanks for all the hard work LauraB. Can't wait to see the changes over the coming weeks :clap: :clap:

I like it! it's all fresh and new looking! Thank you :D :) :eek: :shock: 8) :lol: :clap: :dance: sorry loving the smilies

big thank you to both of you! It looks amazing and now I will probably be even more addicted!!! (Im sure DH will be really pleased! :rotfl: :rotfl: )

Well done its looking fab, was like christmas morning this morning lol 8)

:dance: Well Done!! Its amazing, loving the extra smileys too 8) x

Ladies, it's looking fantastic. Can't wait to see more of the features :clap:

Yayy im so glad its back !!!

All fresh and new and icey looking aswell good job ladies looks loverly !!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great new forum girlies!! well done!!

You put so much effort into making us all comfortable! Thank you

xxx

Its brilliant, I love it, thanks so much for taking time of your already busy lives to make the change... xxxx

ooh- 'tis lookin good! im off to hav a forage around now find all the sub forums n stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back