The babywearing information thread

Why did you have to mention onbags?! Arrrrgh I am bag obsessed. Uh oh...

updated original post with carrying positions and instruction links :)

I use either a rucksack or my very large sack like hand bag...

I have managed to condense the baby bag down to...

3 nappies
nappy sacks
pack of travel wipes
terry towelling nappy as a changing mat
A vest and pair of leggings
Sicky blanket

They all fold up pretty small and I can fit them in this wash bag I then pop into my handbag. If I am going for a long journey... I take the rucksack and can add more toys, food etc. I have the advantage in that lil miss is breastfeed so no bottles, is on finger foods so I can get usually find something she can eat when we are out, and she drinks water from a straw... so a small bottle of water and a straw is just fine for her and you can buy them when you are out :) I have a little plastic box that holds spoons etc

Oooo thanks for this thread its brilliant.

I have had Ivy in a pouch sling and its brilliant! The only reason I can type this is because shes snuggled up in her sling against my tummy! I love being able to have her near me all the time I choose the sling over the pram all the time, she seems so far away when shes in her pram and because ours is front facing I cant see her. She sleeps from the minuet shes in the sling and everyone says how content she is. And the best thing is when she stirs and opens her eyes and if you look at her and smile she smiles back and drops off to sleep again!

AND its so much easier if your using public transport like buses and trains because you dont have to worry about luggage racks and stuff for the pram.

I would deffo recommend putting your babe in a sling! And if your worried about the weight thing I was too...(I'm a 5 foot nothing 8 stone weakling!!!) and although the first couple times are a bit heavy I soon got used to it. Everyone jokes she will soon be carrying me around lol!

What would you experts reccomend for a slight frame to carry a 19lb porker.. and growing.

Not going to do back, dont know why, just dont like it... might have to wait for the next one I think this one is to heavy :(

I carry Cally easily in a mei tai or a wrap and she is 20lbs+ (haven't had her weighed for a month and a half). You don't have to do back carries, they do take quite a bit of confidence but they are way easier to carry a bigger child then front carries, but a good sling will allow you to do front carries comfortably too.

Ha! i was about to add a post asking about this off to read the above post now!!

:cheer:

I'm really sad now that it's winter :( I have a Hotslings pouch carrier, now Ella is older I use it as a hip carrier which is amazingly comfortable. But, my coat won't go over it. Mainly bacause it won't fit round the big lump on my left side and because my right shoulder is covered by the other end of the sling my coat doesn't stay on that shoulder and keeps slipping off IYKWIM? We have a Baby Bjorn style carrier which kills my back and a Mei Tai which I just cannot get the hang of no matter how many different sets of instructions I follow...Can anyone reccommend a different carrier? I don't want to give up babywearing, I love it so much :(

what is the issue with the MT? Would the pouch sing go over your coat?

beanie said:
I carry Cally easily in a mei tai or a wrap and she is 20lbs+ (haven't had her weighed for a month and a half). You don't have to do back carries, they do take quite a bit of confidence but they are way easier to carry a bigger child then front carries, but a good sling will allow you to do front carries comfortably too.

I have a few questions:

Would consistant carrying be ok after the c section?
Can you carry them around the house and do things?

Do regular carriers have the same benefits..

The Mei tais are GORGEUS! Does anyone know where you can buy patterns to make them yourself?

Yes it is very easy to ignore them, isn't it? Especially when you've got a 7 month old right in your face fish-hooking your nose, eyelids and mouth, pulling your hair and generally shouting into your face. Wouldn't have it any other way :lol:

Gina Ford, the childcare guru, also has concerns. “All babies are different and I don't think carrying a baby all the time results in a more clingy baby, but I have noticed that some 'baby-wearing' mothers interact less with their baby, and the baby can be treated more like an accessory than a human being.

FFS :wall: :wall: How can you interact less?????

maria1976 said:
Gina Ford, the childcare guru, also has concerns. “All babies are different and I don't think carrying a baby all the time results in a more clingy baby, but I have noticed that some 'baby-wearing' mothers interact less with their baby, and the baby can be treated more like an accessory than a human being.

FFS :wall: :wall: How can you interact less?????

WTF!!! I agree that all babies are different though as Ella has never liked being held and much prefers being in her pushchair :( . But how can you be interacting less with a baby you are carrying than a baby in a pram/pushchair (particularly when they are older and forward facing!) I can't interact with Ella at all when she is in our buggy. :wall: :wall: :wall:

What I actually came on here to say was, have you put a link to this in 3rd Tri, as I didn't have a clue that all these different slings etc were available until after I had Ella, I just bought a carrier as that was what they had in Mothercare.

i think ive talked myself into getting a wrap around sling having been really happy with my baby bjorn from ebay but am stuck between choosing the ellaroo and a handmade one from etsy
il_430xN.45089985.jpg

I've seen loads of happy reviews about ellaroo but given that the etys seller isn't an international brand, there obviously aren't dozens of reassuring reviews around, but they're gorgous. OH doesnt like this design on etsy cos its pink but i adore it.

Just don't know what to do! What do you think girls?

is that a stretchy sling? At your LO's age a woven wrap is much better :)

Why the fook did i not get a mei tai before :roll:

Poppy160 kindly sent me hers and OMG how great is it :D Not too sure about the back carry but really love the hip carry.
Calleigh loves it, we went to the garden centre today and i felt so great with her next to me and she loved looking at all the stuff mummy was looking at.
So easier than a buggy especially as it was busy. And i got a few nice comments too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back