MMR

wasnt aimed at you hun i read your post :hug:

Hope the docs will find an alternative to have braydon done as it must be a worry for you too :hug: :hug:

i had suspected menningjitus wen i was 6 ishand never wanna go thro that with B

Defo going to go for all vaccinations for Isaac. There isn't conclusive evidence that it's linked to autism, it's too risky to not go for them I think.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have niggling worries though.

Bagpuss17 said:
I'd be lying if I said I didn't have niggling worries though.

It was at the back of my mind but positives out weigh the negatives on this one.

I'm not sure about it - Phil and I were discussing this the other day.

I've got a friend who works with a disabled lad, and he has autism. Gis parents blame it on the MMR injection. Basically he cannot have a normal life - he lives most weeks in a home for people with autism. It's pretty severe. He is violent, totally detached from reality, etc etc.

On the other hand, there's the measles, mumps, and rubella thing. Well I had mumps when I was about 5...I got over it, no permanent damage.

I know measles can be pretty bad, but people get over it, right? Even if it lasts a good few weeks.

I don't know much about rubella I must confess - I don't know how serious it can get.

Basically I'm still trying to weigh up whether or not it would be worse if Lydia got autism, or one of these diseases. At the moment, to be honest, I'm thinking the autism is the worst. If she got autism, well that's for life isn't it. She would never be "normal" again! Whereas surely with those other diseases she would recover from and be fine afterwards ?

I'd have to look them up in more detail I suppose before I make a decision.

I must say though, Freya, I don't think it's fair to label parents as being selfish if they don't get their kids jabbed. Why is it selfish to be worried about autism?!

i do agree with part of wot ur saying Xena and im worried to about the autism fear but
i thought u could die if u cath measle mumps or rebella or am i wrong?

Sarah_B's_mummy87 said:
i do agree with part of wot ur saying Xena and im worried to about the autism fear but
i thought u could die if u cath measle mumps or rebella or am i wrong?

I'm not sure - As I said I need to read up about them a bit more. I do know I've had mumps though and I was fine afterwards.
I'm sure people get measles and don't die aswell.
Maybe it's really really severe cases where people die?

Anyway I'm still undecided until I read up a bit more.

okay, I've just done a very quick (VERY QUICK) look online for info on these 3 diseases, and it would seem that none of them are really life threatening. In really severe cases of mumps, it can cause meningitis, but this is a rare complication.

however it seems the diseases themselves aren't nice, and some can lead to being sterile, or problems with unborn children (in the case of rubella) if its caught by a pregnant adult.

I'm still undecided.

this is totaly off the topic here but my cousin who has just turned 4, 3 weeks after he was born he contracted measles and within a few days he was diagnosed with menangitis :( Atthis point they were living in germany as my uncle is in teh army and because they were over their he had to be flown to great ormand street hospital as the menangitis was getting really bad and over in germany they couldnt do anything for him.

Now hes 4 he is 3/4 blind on one eye and fully blind on teh other, he cant hear a thing and cant speak and also has autism but he never got his mmr as he was only 3 weeks old.

i know this has nothing to do with the mmr but just thought i should share it with you guys.

I do understand why some of yous are in2 minds wether to have it done or not

and i do totaly sympathise with people who are afraid if you child gets the mmr and someone in his/her class doesnt and they get infected i would be really upset if my kids got infected with a child who hasnt been imunised too.

I guess its another thing like some people have different views to others and untill they are 100% sure that the mmr causes autism then i will continue to get colby vaccinated against it in the one jab instead of paying and putting her through pain of 3 jabs for the smae thing.

Another thing idont understand right is, if you choose to get the triple vaccine, they do it at thesame time right? doesnt that just have the same effect anyway as its going into theblood stream within the matter of minutes of each other?

i may bewrong but i just dont understand that part

take care all xxxxxxx

Weestar, the single vaccinations aren't given on the same day. It is usually that they are given one injection (usually measles) then after a six weekgap ythey are given the mumps, then another 6 weeks they are given the reubella one. Then this is repeated just before they start school. The reason why single vaccinations aren't thought to be linked to autism is because single vaccines don't contain an ingredient that the multi-dose one does (which is thought to cause autism).

Xena, I can understand your fears as I was nervous. I was all for the mmr but now Seren is here I also have those niggling doubts, saying that I also have them about her other jabs too which are also multi-dose. However I was very ill with measles when I was young and I would hate for Seren to experience that (not that I am saying any parent would). There are different options open to you, the single dose, perhaps putting the jab off until she is older so you are assured her development is "normal" etc. There is so much out there to read, I shopuld start but am feeling lazy. If I come across any interesting articles I am more then happy to forward them to you if you want.

All ive heard on the subject of mmr is that there is not enough evidence to suggest it is linked to autism and the only reaon why all this came about was because a parents son had the jab and shorty after he was found the have autism. (coincedental?) and they decided to blame it on the jab?
anyway dont know if thats true!
I think i will be letting him have the jab as someelse has already said, the positives outway the negatives.

It s tricky one.
We've discussed it & want Jamie to have the vaccinations but we may well pay for them to be individual. I guess there is a risk in everything we do but I want to read up more on it before we deicide what to do.

beanie said:
Weestar, the single vaccinations aren't given on the same day. It is usually that they are given one injection (usually measles) then after a six weekgap ythey are given the mumps, then another 6 weeks they are given the reubella one. Then this is repeated just before they start school. The reason why single vaccinations aren't thought to be linked to autism is because single vaccines don't contain an ingredient that the multi-dose one does (which is thought to cause autism).

Xena, I can understand your fears as I was nervous. I was all for the mmr but now Seren is here I also have those niggling doubts, saying that I also have them about her other jabs too which are also multi-dose. However I was very ill with measles when I was young and I would hate for Seren to experience that (not that I am saying any parent would). There are different options open to you, the single dose, perhaps putting the jab off until she is older so you are assured her development is "normal" etc. There is so much out there to read, I shopuld start but am feeling lazy. If I come across any interesting articles I am more then happy to forward them to you if you want.

Thanks hun I'd be very grateful

Hi Xena,

When Aidan was 2 weeks old he developed a rash all over his body and we didn't know what it was!!! You can imagine how scared we were. Now measles made my mum deaf in one ear and her cousin developed learning disabilities after having measles as a child. Measles is a deadly disease.
What i am saying is imagine if your baby caught measles and died from another child who could have been vacacinated!!! Or imagine if your child had measles because they were not vacacinated and were fine but passed it on to someone elses child and they died. How would you feel. That is why I think it is selfish!! But you can only do what you feel is right and I understand everyones concerns becaue i do have those concerns myself!!!

I went seperate with Mason, he needed his jab at the time when it was all headline news.
I went for the seperate ones, not really because I thought that there was anything wrong with the combined, but because I am a worrier anyway and would rather pay my money and get a good nights sleep than lie awake all night worrying that I had made a big mistake.

This time round, I think I'll go combined for Brody, now there's new evidence that the autism claims are unfounded, I feel more at ease about it.

If anyone is REALLY worried about it and you can afford it, I would say go seperate because I know what it's like to worry about stuff like that...at the time all my friends who got combined were worried they'd done the wrong thing, but I was fine.

Dior had her MMR at 13months. she was fine. they both have had all their jabs, harley had his 16week jabs yesterday.. nast nurse stabbibng him twice.

i didnt do any reading up ect, but for me i will put my babies life in the hands of the profesions im sure they no best.

ps i had mumps while preg with Dior it was awfull the pain was horrid. i looked a state to all swallon and my male friend had it and is waiting for test results to see if he can still have children as his balls went realy swallon he was in a real bad way, males sutter alot worse with it then girls. and the older you are the worse it can be

urchin said:
I went seperate with Mason, he needed his jab at the time when it was all headline news.
I went for the seperate ones, not really because I thought that there was anything wrong with the combined, but because I am a worrier anyway and would rather pay my money and get a good nights sleep than lie awake all night worrying that I had made a big mistake.

This time round, I think I'll go combined for Brody, now there's new evidence that the autism claims are unfounded, I feel more at ease about it.

If anyone is REALLY worried about it and you can afford it, I would say go seperate because I know what it's like to worry about stuff like that...at the time all my friends who got combined were worried they'd done the wrong thing, but I was fine.

How much does it cost to have the separate jabs?

i priced it 4 years ago for Adele and was told by the doctor it would be £50 per injection :shock:

weestar21 said:
i priced it 4 years ago for Adele and was told by the doctor it would be £50 per injection :shock:

WTF :shock:

yes that was part the reason why we just got the 1 injection, we couldnt afford not to. But im so glad i didnt pay that for it too

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back