Keeping cats away from baby stuff

CARNAT22

Reaction score
Inspired by another thread...

Now I don't have to worry about this just yet as our baby stuff is either packaged up or at my Mum's but when the time comes and we have the crib up and pram about how an Earth do I keep the cat out of it??

Our cat is mainly an inddor cat. We have a large one bed and we are debating starting to shut the cat out of the bedroom going forwards (but I do think that is a bit unfair as cats sleeps in there and escapes there when we have guests, I also want her to have somewhere "away" from baby as I know she is going to find it all really stressful)

Will a mosquito net over the crib help discourage her? I don't know what we'll do when the cotbed goes up? :shock:

Those of you that have cats will know how the little furry beggars have a way of getting to where they want to be and I have visions of the cat in the babies pram / on the playmat / in the bouncer :lol:

I don't want to upset the cat too much though, she didn't ask for a baby?

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Cat net for the Moses basket, cot etc. it's like a mosquito net. Saw them the other day a the store.
Also get a cat tree that you put it in the area that you stay the most and teach her to
Scratch her nails there.

going to be keeping an eye on this! it echoes my worries! I can just picture my cat jumping on baby now!

Cat net for the Moses basket, cot etc. it's like a mosquito net. Saw them the other day a the store.
Also get a cat tree that you put it in the area that you stay the most and teach her to
Scratch her nails there.

Thanks Hope - I'll keep a look out!

I reckon my girl will find a way through the cat net, she is a very determined kitty bless her...

Newbie I didn't mean to worry you, I reckon most cats will be absolutely fine after a few days.... As long at they have somewhere to go "away" from baby.

I plan to keep cat out of baby stuff and then hope when it all had the baby scent she won't be as interested? :shock:

xxxxxxxxxxx

Yup I've been looking into getting cat nets for moses baskets and cots for all three households (ours and both parents are cat households) because I know our cats well and would all love to snuggle with baby! Plus I'm very anal about the cat hair now, cats have not been allowed anywhere near baby clothes or blankets or anything.

Clippasafe seem to be the popular option, Mothercare do their own range as well. I think I'll probably go for this one:
http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Cat-Net/755897,default,pd.html?cm_sp=ProductFeatures-_-Category%2520landing-_-Mothercare%2520Cat%2520Net&extid=gs

I Am not sure about cats but with the puppy we are doing the following:
Get everything early and put it around in the living room and in places where the puppy is. Let it smell everything and play around them. If it starts butting, play with them, scratch them or whatever correct and redirect to her toys.
It worked a treat. After the initial good smell and excitement now moves around everything and ignores it big time.
Next week planning on moving things around in the living room.
I am pretty sure that she will go smell everything again and eventually loose interest and let them be.
Maybe you should get used your kitty to things too?
But I am not a kitty expert, though I did have a kitty for 10 years and EVENTUALLY managed to teach her to stay away from the kitchen, and curtains lol...

Thanks God for cat nets..... Do they fit various things? (pram / crib / buggy?)

All the baby stuff will be in a chest of drawers inside OH's walk in cupboard so cat won't be able to get near them! So thats something...

My cat was in my nephews pram within about 90 seconds last time they were up :shock:

xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the suggestions Hope!

The problem with my kitty is that showing her something usually means she tries to sleep on it :shock: :lol:

We're just going to keep her well away from the baby clothes / towels and blankets and get nets for the other stuff!

xxxxxxxxx

Oh no the clothes. We keep everything like that away. I meant the bouncer, swing, pram etc whatever you have. I mean you can cover the basket but not the bouncer or the playgym. She should probably learn to avoid that place.
Would it work if every time she goes to those you pick her and put her in her tree and five her a toy or a treat there?

We have 2 gorgeous cats who are both indoor cats. They used to sleep on our room with us bit I'm twitchy about the cat smothering the baby. Ronnie (our British short hair) comes for a cuddle every morning and sits on my chest! but by god she's heavy! So if she's causing me to struggle she could easily suffocate my baby!
I started just shutting them out o the bedroom but they would cry and scratch at the door at stupid o'clock. Now I've decided to shut them downstairs so they cant get up to the bedroom at night! But theyre funny little buggars, they properly ignore me and my husband in the mornings now, like it's punishment for keeping them downstairs!!

In fact there's loads of clippasafe ones on ebay for a few pound, might be better there for buying in bulk! xx

PS - yeah there's different kinds for cot/moses basket/pram, etc xx

Last edited:
I had no idea you could get cat nets, that's brilliant. Will be stocking up on some of those. We have 2 stubborn young indoor cats who we fear will be a nightmare. They'll be going in the cattery for a week around when the baby's born so we have a bit of time without them as they are incredibly needy. Thankfully they don't sleep in our room, but my concern is with them downstairs with the baby... Hopefully the nets will do the trick.

I am worried I have two little Tonkinese who love nothing more than getting into trouble and playing in new things!

But I love them so much by little fur babies! :)

Will have to look into all the above suggestions. x

I am worried by kittys will ignore the cat nets and just jump up on the cot with them on and that could be worse?

I spotted the cat nets a few weeks ago in the pram shop. I think they fit pretty tightly over the cot and whatnot so if they do get on there it wont make much difference. I did tell my OH though that i want to invest in some little bells and stick them to the nets so i will know if and when the cats are somewhere they should not be.

I have 3 cats.. should be interesting...

My friend has a new baby and 2 lovely kitty's in the house. They are not allowed in her bedroom, or babies bedroom. And she got them a lovely new bed and scratch posts and made them a little den under her stairs. She had her pram and car seat sitting, and Moses basket sitting out covered with cat nets. Only one cat was caught having a nosey at it. Now baby is here they don't seem bothered at all... One has shown no intrest whatsoever and the other came in and sits on the arm of the couch when he's having a feed then goes away again.

Our cat couldn't have been less interested in the baby stuff or the baby! If he had been interested though we probably would have bought the cat nets.

My cat has never been interested in having a bed, I've bought him a few over the years and he ignores them. My trouble is that he decides where his next sleeping spot will be, he's not allowed in any of the bedrooms, but will move his 'bed' around, it can be a window sill, the bathroom sink, on the toilet, in the middle of the landing (that's where he is now!), on a bag in the hall or living room or anywhere quite strange that he decides to lay his head for a few days. He won't get in baby's room, but I might have to get some cat nets for the crib in the living room and maybe the pram, but as they are normal places the cat may sleep, I doubt he will be interested....he's more likely to find the pile of muslin cloths, or cloth nappies if I decide to go with them!

I'm glad you started this Hun as I'm worried about my pets with baby. Got two cats and two dogs for my sins lol think dogs will be ok but worried about cats jumping in crib etc

i have two cats i class as indoor they are very nosey and everytime something new is brought in the are on it my baby stuff is all at moms and i will be moving into a new house so everything will be new to them so i hope they wont bother too much about the baby stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back