Cat crisis : /

toni64539

Reaction score
I feel really sad and I don't know what to do. We live in a two bedroom apartment at the minute, although it is for sale, and we have three gorgeous cats, 2 moggies and one pedigree. I think having three indoor cats in an appartment is a bit much but my husband kept coming home with them and I couldn't say no. Anyway, the pedigree cat is now pregnant! Against my wishes myhusband took her to be mated, i kno this was his plan all along as her kittens are worth £2000 each but now we have this baby on the way I'm worrying about the lack of space. My biggest grumble was cat litter! I hated it, it's unhygienic, smells, the litter goes everywhere, embarrassing if people come round, especially with three of them using it, it's just impossible to keep up with it, so anyway, don't ask me how but my husband managed to toilet train all three cats, so they use the actual toilet, not a litter tray, and all we'd have to do was flush it, it's been brilliant! No mess, no smell, Fab! But now Siennas pregnant she's going to have to have her own litter tray for the kittens, her kittens are due four weeks before me! And it probably sounds silly but I won't be able to cope with the litter again with a new born baby, because we live in such a small place were limited as to where she can nest, the only place is the lounge, and I don't want to come home with a new born baby and having visitors and worrying about cat lit everywhere and smells and kittens etc! I feel so mad at my husband for getting us in this situation as I love all three cats sooooooo much and couldn't bare to see them go but I just know I will go stir crazy with all that going on and a new born in such a small space. I feel mean on the cats as it can't really be much life for them in such confinement, plus they're even more restricted now with not being allowed in the babys room or in our room as that's where baby will
be sleeping. I don't even know what I'm asking you guys cos I know there's nothing anyone can do/say but does anyone else have indoor cats with a baby on the way and if so what are you doing about cat litter? Thank you for listening to me moan if nothing else, it's just making me depressed worrying about it xxxx

hi, im a cat lover too. it is a difficult situation for you with space, can the other two moggies go out? is it possible to put the litter try for mum to be in the kitchen? know it sounds gross but if kitchen is big enough and has lino type floor not carpet its easier to keep clean as you can sweep it and bleach it if there is any spillage. try a cage for kittens when there born then in the day you can move them to another room if visitors are expected, dont forget to where your marigolds too. im not much help but hopefully youll sort something, good luck xxx

ooh just thought of another thing, ive got some new cat lit, will post name later as cant remember!!!, its about £6 for a box but it dosent smell at all!!!! i use the nice smelly liners too which make it easier to clean x x

Thanks suzzi I could try some of those things but wherever I put the cat lit it just tracks everywhere on their paws and like I said, with three of them (plus kittens) I've no sooner cleaned it up then it's back again. They can't go out either as were in an apartment, don't think theres anything I can do, im so stressed about it :( thanks so much for the reply sweetie

I used to keep my cat indoors when he was a kitten and we had a litter tray that was covered over like a box. That really helped reduce the spread of litter about the place. Does you husband help about the house? Tell him you aren't supposed to touch cat litter while pregnant and make him sort it all out/ clean it up! I'd be tempted to lay a huge guilt trip on him :lol: men! Total KS's

I was also going to suggest one of those box type litter trays so at least the kittens can't flick litter quite so far? We have 6 cats (luckily all outdoor tolieters) and it does get crowded occasionally.

Hope you find a sulotion hun! x

my cats us litter trays and it does go everywhere - its purely my hubbys job even before i got pregnant :p but on lino floors is the best and you can just sweep up spillage. could the cat go to another house, like a parents or something whilst she has the kittens? its a lot of responsibility to ask of them but they might want to help you out. I do love cats and would never suggest gettting rid of them but we have 2 in quite a large house so we have the space for the litter to go in a a seperate room with their food etc, can't imagine having 3 in a small space.

We have 2 cats in a 2 bed apart which is top floor so they have to be indoor cats and totally understand!luckily since we had them we have trained them to jump out window onto balcony and use their litter tray out there as I HATE the litter tray! We have confined them to the front room and balcony at the moment but I am worried about when baby is here. One is a scardy cat and wouldnt go near baby! ( doesnt even pike cuddles from us!) and the other is friendly and on your lap etc which is what I'm worried about! Plus cat hair! I said to oh we will have to see how it goes but I do know how u feel xx

I will try one of those box litter trays but someone else sad to me it still sticks to paws so gets everywhere but not as much as flicking it I suppose. I just wish I had a room I could shut off with it all in

Awful isn't it constant. At least you have a balcony though, I'm so jealous ; / x

I have an indoor cat too and we keep her litter in the kitchen. We use chick feed as litter its brilliant, doesnt smell and the wee and poo solidifies so you can scoop it out and flush it down the loo or chuck it in the bin.

I hope you find asolution for your new kittens xx

Hiya I am a Cat Lover too :) I have a 3 year old called Treacle and a Kitten 6 months (half siamese) called scraggle.

Aslong as like the others say, its kept tiday and clean it will be fine. Since I found out I was pregnant OH doesnt let me change cat litter as have heard this can be abit dangerous.

Im worried because all his side of the family expect us to get rid of them when baby comes and tell us horror stories of how the cats suffocate the babies as they smell milk and are warm etc.

Me and OH both agree that the cats are part of our family and obviosly we will take precautions when baby here with the clenliness and whereabouts of the cats, Baby will become top prioty but I couldnt see our lives without our treacle and scraggle lol!

There are so many people in the world with your situation and even woth dogs aswell etc.

Yours sound lovely cats good luck xxx

There's lots of things you can do to help.

Put mum in a kittening pen or even a large dog cage for the early weeks with the kittens.

Use a hooded tray or a Booda dome which reduces their tracking too!!

http://www.crystalclearpet.com/shop/cats/litter/booda-cat-litter-tray_buy.htm

Litter tray mat which they stand on when coming out of the box and removes litter from their paws.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/cat-accessor.../van-ness-trackless-cat-litter-mat-lm1-p-4422

Trackless litter.

http://www.crystalclearpet.com/shop/cats/litter/lpearls_buy.htm

http://www.crystalclearpet.com/shop...litter/ultimate-innovation-cat-litter_buy.htm

I have 2 Siamese and a moggy (along with 9 dogs). At the moment moggy is cage bound with a fractured jaw and she quite likes her cage!! My Siamese only go out when we are home and then only in the garden even though we live in the middle of nowhere!! So they use trays too.

HTH!!

Last edited:
Pretty much what the above poster said, you can these days get non-stick, non-smell cat litter, you can also buy little cat houses with a cat flap on for them to go into and do their business. You could get one of those and put it in the corner somewhere and at least visitors would see a little cat house and not be able to see all the litter/kittens/poo poo inside.

Dont give up hunny xxx

Thank you very much cazza! I will try all those things! X

Have you seen the self cleaning litter trays? They sieve the waste into a sealed container & reduce smells. They do vary in price, so you'd have to shop around. Here's a link to one of them http://www.discountedpetproducts.net/LITTERMAID_SELF-CLEANING_LITTER_BOX__LM580_-UKP141526.html
We have a lidded box & a mat to catch the litter. We have ours in the kitchen & have 2 indoor cats (well one goes out, but comes back in to use the litter tray!)
If OH looks after cleaning the tray out, you won't have the kittens for too long, so it's only a temporary thing. We've started shutting our cats in the kitchen at night, to stop them trying to get in our room. They hated it at first, but are used to it now. They have their beds, scratch posts etc. in there at night too.

Sunnyb xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back