Cats vs Babies?

Tasha89

Reaction score
What are your views on Cats and babies?

We've an 18month old tabby and although we have NO intention of getting rid of her, you do worry when you hear all these horror stories of babies been smothered by cats etc... :eh:
My friend brought her 12 month old daughter round a few months back and my cat was ever so intrigued by her, it was only curiosity though.
I know that when baby is in his/her room we can just shut the door but what about the first few months? Our cat has always slept in our room with us on a night, it's hardly fair to boot her out.

Has anyone any tips of protecting babies from cats?

My cat has never took any interest in my babies but saying that she has no interest in people full stop. She comes in, eats, sleeps then goes back out. I think you can get cat nets to protect the cot etc but other than that I suppose keeping a close eye on the cat until it gets bored of baby is your best bet xx

^^^ Haha! Ours is the same! She doesn't give a monkeys about me or Jamie! Which is good I suppose, she's never been a cuddly cat so she's not going to miss the attention when baby's born. We've had a her 6 months and I think she's maybe only bothered sitting on my lap a small handfull of times! lol! Although she'll follow you around the house and HAS to be in the same room as us so I think she just pretends to hate us! ;)

I've bought cat nets in the hope that our cats stay away. I won't be at all surprised to find a cat sitting on a weighed down net though! We've already started shutting them out of the nursery and out of our bedroom, they haven't been in for a few months but sneak in whenever they see an opportunity so they haven't quite got the message! They've always run away from little people in the past but are usually very friendly, if there's a chance they can sit on your lap they will take it! I'm hoping that the noise will keep them away, but I guess we won't know until LO arrives!!

I have two boys cats and wonder how they will react to the arrival of a baby. One of my cats is very affectionate and adores me to point of grooming. I am worried he will get jealous and run away. I had a friend whose cat ran away after her baby was born.

aw, I hope they don't run away!! To be honest that idea hadn't even occurred to me!! :shock:

aw, I hope they don't run away!! To be honest that idea hadn't even occurred to me!! :shock:

Oh no sorry to scare you! It wasnt intentional I can assure you.

i have bought the cat net aswell they are supposed to be really good. my wee cat pedro is a complete sook and is going to be in for a shock when the baby comes because just now he is the baby. I reckon when baby is sleeping just keep door shut and when not just keep 100% attention on the cat and baby

my little princess has been the only 1 for attention, since about 2 weeks now she is not aloud in the bedroom at night and i keep the door closed to the bedroom daytime aswell. She has been scratching, screaming, crying, but last night she didnt make a sound, just accepted the fact that the door was closed.
It breaks my heart but it has to be done cuz im not riskin anything and im not getting rid of her.

During my daughters pregnancy my cat used to sleep on my stomach like she was protecting me but once lacey arrived she couldn't care less about her but then my dog took over being protected and wouldn't leave laceys side which got quite annoying lol

I really want a cat. Just moved house in Feb and was planning on trying to find a kitten in July so I could be home over the summer holidays with it.
Not sure what to do now though. Any advice?

Oh no sorry to scare you! It wasnt intentional I can assure you.

don't worry! I don't think they will run away, they're far too reliant on us to do that I reckon, we had them when they were very young and they're not the usual independent-ignore-you-unless-they're-hungry sort of cats, they're actually quite needy lol!

I hope the cat nets work, but I hope they will just leave LO alone more!

Jesus, I wish my cat WOULD run away, she just uses this place for shelter and grub, she's no pet like, more of a nuisence :rofl: it's OH's cat, can you tell I'm more of a dog person lol xx

Can anyone post a link to some websites that sell these nets? The only ones I seem to find you have to tie, cant imagine it being too productive when baby's crying and we're fiddling with knots to get baby out of his/her cot! Haha! A zip would be a better idea... Can you get them to fit carry cots/moses baskets? X

I've got four cats and am not worried to be honest. I'm just gonna try and use my common sense and not let them in the nursery (or our room for the first few months) and keep them away from any room the babs is in alone...
They need to get use to each other but it'll be when I'm around. Like most people have said the cats don't like noise and run away when others are around so chances are they'll stay away anyway xxx

I have the other problem as I was wondering the other day how my dog will react!! I'm the same as i would never get rid of her as she is 6 and i have had her since 8 weeks old - she is no problem except has to be in the same room as someone and she sleeps in our room. I'm guessing she won't be as bad as with a cat as she can't jump like they can but hoping she will be ok with baby. She loves my aunts 2 year old she followed him round all evening at my nans bday party despite him tapping her and pulling her tail!!

I have those cat nets for both my crib and pram carrycot.
We have 2 cats, both get very interested in EVERYTHING and are little daredevils so wouldn't be scared to get too close to the baby.

I got my nets from john lewis i think they were around £6-8 not sure how they fasten though :eh:

i'd get rid if i could, i prefer dogs much more but they are mums and dads cats plus me and jay are hoping to be out by christmas so wont have to have them around Ava too long. Just taking precautions like keeping doors shut and not babying them so they don't get jealous!

http://www.johnlewis.com/230415685/Product.aspx

theres the pram one, it's £8.50. couldn't find the crib one but they do a cot/cotbed one aswell for £16.

That's fantastic, thank you :) I'll definately be purchasing the pram one (we're using our carrycot as a moses basket) Think I might see how our cat is before we get the cot one - baby will be in moses basket for a few months so we'll have a rough idea by then of how our kitty is gonna be with him/her :)

Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back