Iron Levels - whats normal?

Rosie's Mummy

Reaction score
Can anyone shed some light on what an ok iron level should be? I am currently 13.1 and I know when I left hospital last time after having Rosie I was 10 and they put me on iron tablets - just not sure how the scale goes. :eh:

I was considered anaemic when I was 10.9, so I think 13 sounds about normal.. Lisa will be able to fill you in more with this she knows all about it x

Last edited:
Anything over 11 is normal :) 13 is excellent! To leave hospital at 10 is really good. I was 8 and a bit when I left and 7 is when you tend to need a transfusion - my sister was about 7 and a bit and decided to not have the transfusion but ended up going back for one because she felt so rubbish. She had a section though. :)

I am trying to get to 11 to have a good number and avoid transfer to hospital if I get my home birth and bleed a bit. I'd LOVE your 13 but I'd be permanently constipated if I took enough iron to get anywhere close! :rofl:

What about dried apricots? I think they are packed with iron. I dont really eat a lot of red meat or anything.

I should be fine coz I'm a veggie but I'm borderline anaemic when I'm not pregnant so it's to be expected really. I keep meaning to get some apricots actually :doh:

I love them but they send me running to the loo! SpaTone water is good but put it in juice and neck it fast else it tastes like a 5 bar gate :lol:

The hospital said i was slightly in need of some iron and gave e some tablets the other day but i havnt taken any yet...do you think i should? i am dreading constipation!!

Yes I would take them but insure against the dreaded constipation by upping your fibre intake :)

Hope - take them. They dont tell you to take them for nothing and is you do get bunged up they will give you lactulose and you'll be fine :)

RM - I was on the Spa Tone but even after doubling the dose I was still not getting above 10 so I just switched to Floradix this week which tastes of flowers and soil! :puke:

Ewwwww I dont think there is a nice way to take iron orally unfortunately. Lactulose is great though and it smells of caramel! Just leaves a bit of a plastic like taste so have a Mars bar on standby!

mmm mars bar sounds ideal after.

what are the effects of low iron. i only know of tiredness ?

breathlessness is another one. The main issue with having low iron levels is bleeding during / after labour. Everyone bleeds but if you have low iron levels you'll be effected more by a bleed.

So do you lot still take the pregnancy vitamins as well as all these other things ? I was thinking of carrying on taking the pregnacare ones after the 12 weeks? is that advised or can you go too far?

thanks,

I'll tell you something alot of people thought i was going to be anemic especially my mum and midwife but everyone was shocked when my results of my iron levels are 13.7 so i was well happy about that and thought haha even though i was tired alot that wud prob be due to at the many of weeks i actually was not the fact i wasnt anemic. i have got given pregadaycare tabs but i cant swallow them an they taste like blood/sand put together so i dont use it an by sounds of it i dont hardly need to take a tablet if its 13.7 lol. x

So do you lot still take the pregnancy vitamins as well as all these other things ? I was thinking of carrying on taking the pregnacare ones after the 12 weeks? is that advised or can you go too far?

thanks,

Just take your regular pregnancy vits (which contain extra iron) unless your MW or Dr says otherwise. As far as the pregnancy vits are concerned I think the 12 wk thing is for folic acid only but if you are taking a multi you can continue. I take mine until after I've had the baby and even then continue as they are good for you while BFing :)

i asked my mid wife about after 12 weeks and she said carry on with the preganncy vitamins as long as we can.

i have to take iron tablets as well as the pregnancy vits. haha i wondered why my memory was sooo poor lol x

Im taking Pregnacare throughout the pregnancy and will continue when Im breastfeeding - they are designed to be taken all the way through, well thats what it says on the box :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back