Iron Tablets - Ferrous Sulphate

Redshoes

Reaction score
I saw the doctor on Monday as was asked to go in for a blood test regarding my iron levels. The MW put me on iron tablets earlier in the year, after getting my blood results from the tests she took.

Anyway, I showed the Doctor my blood results and she seemed a little puzzled, saying how iron tablets are usually prescribed for level of 11 or lower (don't know the medical terms and levels, putting it as easily I can)

My blood level was 13, so not low and requiring supplements, so she didn't re-prescribe me any iron tablets and said to phone for results Monday, as maybe I do not even need iron tablets :think:

Anyone had this happen, or anyone had a MW do something the Doctor has said may not have needed doing/prescribing? I know we should go with the MW as she is the expert, just a bit miffed to it all really, probably because the tablets caused me no end of constipation :roll: lol

Your Doc is right. I have read up on this mine is 11. 4 and I'm not on iron tablets but iron is in most multi vits so won't be doing you any harm...hope you feel better without them.

My iron level is 11.2, my MW said its fine, I don't need iron supplement, so no risk of constipation then :oops:

Thankyou cloud9 & joannec777 :hug:
I do feel a lot better not being on the tablets, mainly because of betterbowel movements :lol: glad you both missed out on them too :cheer:

I am on prescription iron tablets but my iron levels had dropped to 9.5. I don't think it does any harm to take iron tablets as the further your pregnancy progresses the more iron deficient you will become. It took my midwife 4 weeks to let me know I was anaemic and in the meantime I had to go into hospital as I started having visual distortions and migraines so its better to be safe than sorry.

So very true Dinski, and I am glad to hear you are now on your tablets and out of hospital, and I hope your pregnancy continues to go well and safely :hug:

A reassuring quiote from below http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/c ... s/anaemia/
Hope its OK to put link :)

"You don't need to worry about your baby. Your body will make sure that he gets his quota of iron before you get yours. So you'll be short of iron long before he is. Your baby makes the heaviest demands on your iron supplies in the middle of pregnancy, so this is the time to take extra care of yourself. "

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back