Iron injections?

carrie

Reaction score
Hi just woundered about the iron injections, because my hb level at the start of pregnancy was 13.1 but now its dropped to 10.1 the midwife said thats quite a drop so im on iron tablets but if the dont work ill probably have to have iron injetions. ive herd that these are not nice at all. i just woundered were they put the needle lol..n why its suposed to be so bad>

My sister had these injections in her bum, which is a good place as there is not much muscle there so you don't feel it as much. If you get a choice were to have the injection I would suggest there.

Hiya

Your Hb is going to drop in pregnancy anyway. This is mainly because you retain more fluid, hence your hb is diluted, giving a smaller reading. anything above 10 is deemed ok, but ferrous sulphate tablets should work...seldom do women get given the injections.

The injections aren't particularly nice because iron is so thick and gets given with a bigger needle. The reason it is nicer in the bum is because the Glutus Maximus is a large muscle - Fe04 (ferrous sulphate) would need to be given into the muscle for good absorption

So...don't worry too much...chances are that you won't need it. Many midwives seem to forget the basic physiological facts about pregnancy!! :(

Take Care

Kieren :D

Thankyou for replying.. my midwife said becuase id droped to ten that it was bad and that i needed to take iron tablets (ferrous sulphate), I have to see here again in 4 weeks n if it hasnt gone up then i will need the injection its not the size of the needle that scares me lol.. im ok wi needles luckily its were they put em n how much it hurts lol.. abit silly been scared of pain from a needle when i have to give birth yet... too a baby thats bigger than it should be too lol...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back