iron levels

scottishlassie

Reaction score
I got bloods taken at my midwife appt and they phoned me to say my iron level has dropped and is 104, so i have to go in to pick up iron tablets. i know its normal for iron levels to drop in pregnancy, but i'm worried its going to give me complications when giving birth..

Also i'm taking pregnacare plus tablets just now, do i keep taking them with the iron tablets?

xxx

I think it just depends hun. I was anaemic before and during pregnancy. Lost quite a bit of blood in labour. Levels fell to 63 yesterday and I needed 3 units of blood. But I guess it depends on lots of different things. Keep taking your iron tablets. I'm not sure about the pregnacare.

X

Can't give much advice sorry as my iron levels have been ok but I shouldn't imagine it will affect you when giving birth. The iron tablets will restore your levels to normal. With regards to the pregnacare tablets, try ringing the helpline they have to ask. I'm sure its a common question that they must get asked a lot.

Sorry couldn't be more help!

Xx

ive been on iron tablets on all of mine and had no problems with birth or excessive bleeding hun im not too sure about pregnacare either just ask your dr or the chemest when you pick them up :)

Ive been taking the iron tablets for a couple of months now and my iron levels still havent improved! Id suggest changing your diet too because they keep upping my iron tablets and it doesnt seem to be working :-s

They did tell me i am more likely to bleed heavily during the birth because of it x

Thanks girls! Yeah it was losing alot of blood in labour i was worried about, but hopefully these tablets will help get my levels back up :), i'll ask about the other tablets too. I don't really want to stop the pregnacare coz it has other things in them too. I'll see what they say though :) xxx

Thanks cherelle, i am trying to eat better but i'm not a big red meat eater, more of a chicken person! So i have to get iron elsewhere. My diet isn't bad...at times, but it could be better!! xx

I was on iron tablets when pregnant with brooke and I didn't have any problems with bleeding when she was born! I would of thought you would still be allowed to take your pregnacare tablets as your just topping up on your iron! BUT don't take my word for it, just in case! I've got to have my blood test tomorrow for my iron levels etc. Xx

Thanks cherelle, i am trying to eat better but i'm not a big red meat eater, more of a chicken person! So i have to get iron elsewhere. My diet isn't bad...at times, but it could be better!! xx

I know its frustrating trying to get more iron ... i dont have a bad diet but it seems impossible to get it to improve! Green veg is supposed to be good, and drinking fresh orange with meals because vit C helps your body absorb iron x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back