Hyonobirthing//Natural Birthing

Hey ladies, good luck with hypnobirthing, I had a very positive birth despite waters going on fri and delivering on the Monday!! I would never have coped with 3 days of contractions without it. OK I had some intervention, but both hubby and I were so calm and relaxed, it was exactly the atmosphere we wanted our daughter to be born in :)

Although its very icky, if your not already doing perineal massage, it is really important to do this to prevent tears. My hypnobirthing coach strongly advocated it as part of our prebirth preparation and I ended up with 2 very superficial stitches only and a very quick recovery.

Can't believe how close you are now Tammy :lol:

Hey Fliss!!! Eek I know!!

I haven't done perineal massage, you don't think it's too late is it, can it do much in a week or two (or 4)?

Loving your pics of Jess on FB, she's beautiful :) x

Yeah I love that idea.... our honeymoon was Thailand - fabulous place. Last April... we've had quite a whirlwind of a year! LOL....

Def going to prepare some pics to take now.. :)

Thanks ladies xx

Oooh Thailand has been on my list of places to go but not ended up there yet, would love to x

Hey ladies I never got to use my hypnobirthing as baby was breech so was a planned section for me :( but the other girl in the class with be had a lovely home hypnobirth and got to 8cm with no pain relief and just gas and air for the last two. Don't listen to others as it's helped tons of people :) good luck can't wait to hear your positive stories x

I haven't done perineal massage, you don't think it's too late is it, can it do much in a week or two (or 4)?

Loving your pics of Jess on FB, she's beautiful :) x

Yes even a few weeks will help. We did every other day for what turned out to be 3 weeks (as Jess was early). Don't worry how stretchy everything feels either, it goes back really quick afterwards!

When did you all start listening to your CD's and reading the book etc?

Pregnancy relaxation CD as early as you want, effective birth preparation from 32w

Although its very icky, if your not already doing perineal massage, it is really important to do this to prevent tears. My hypnobirthing coach strongly advocated it as part of our prebirth preparation and I ended up with 2 very superficial stitches only and a very quick recovery.

I never did the massaging, I did read up about it but never got round to it.

However when it got to delivering baby I found listening to the MW's really helpful - granted this goes a little against 'listening to your body' but I did exactly what they told me too and didn't have a single tear or graze - despite an epic 51 hour labour and pushing for 2 hours.

They don't intervene a such they just advise you and encourage you... I think it was several big pushes to get baby out of the u-bend then once baby crowns they advise you to slow down (I had a little fee of baby's head at this point, just before finally having him). I didn't like my MW's but they knew what they were doing and I had an amazing delivery. Considering I'd gone from candles and music in the birth centre to being hooked up to a drip and a trace they did what the could to keep things 'natural' when James was born.

I loved the pushing stage so much, so liberating!

X

Last edited:
Hi sorry to interrupt lol. I had my first in hospital, waterbirth. None of that was planned but my friend who was an independent midwife was with me an greatly influenced how the birth went and I had just gas and air and her amazing support. Unfortunately the hospital midwives just wanted me out the pool but that's another story!!! Lol. I went in to childbirth with the attitude I only wanted drugs that wouldn't affect me feeling in control or pass on to baby in anyway. So I only had gas and air and made it clear I would ask for pain relief I didn't wanted to be offered it. Unfortunately the hospital midwives tried to push it and told me I'd struggle to give birth if I didn't rest and I'd need drugs. Luckily my friend turned up and just encouraged me and reminded me my body was designed to do this and I would manage fine. Anyway so I did only end up using gas and air. I've had two more children. Homebirths with independent midwife and they were amazing. So calm. I had also looked in to hypno birthing and really think it helped me feel in control!!!! I wish there was hypnobirthing courses where I live but unfortunately there aren't any however even reading through the book I really found it helpful. Good luck ladies. It's such an exciting time and I honestly look forward to labour lol!!! Xxx

That's such a shame those midwives pushed you, well done for sticking to your guns!! x

I'm looking forward to the birth. I love listening to my cd in the bath and I'm now reading the Maggie Howell book. Think I need to do some work on my visualisations alone though. I don't have anything planned for my OH yet, do you guys have any suggestions?

I'm looking forward to the birth. I love listening to my cd in the bath and I'm now reading the Maggie Howell book. Think I need to do some work on my visualisations alone though. I don't have anything planned for my OH yet, do you guys have any suggestions?

Get your Oh to read the book, it really got my oh onboard with the whole idea x

I'd definitely get him to read the book or listen to some of the CDs so he knows the sort of calm atmosphere you want. Once you've practised some visualisations tell him what they are so that when you are in labour he can remind you to go to those places.

We did a fear release on my cd the other day and afterwards we were talking about it and Ian said he'd gone to this particular beach in Padstow which is exactly where I was picturing :)

What music are you all planning on listening to while still at home? Now I've finished work (yippee) I'm putting together a playlist but need inspiration. X

I've downloaded 2 albums of instrumental relaxation music - river dawn by Catherine Marie charlton and comfort zone by Stephen halpern.

Other than that I've got a quiet playlist on my iPhone with thing like jack Johnson, chicane, Tracey chapman etc on so I think I'll have that for early labour and use the other 2 albums when I'm at the birth centre to help focus and relax.

Thanks ladies, after my stressful night tonight I'm defo gonna make a concious effort to work through my Hypnobirthing stuff more x x

I love my cds - they help me unwind... :)

When i wake up to pee (sometimes several times a night) and then cant fall back to sleep - i listen on my ipod - worka a charm :)

X

I didn't do the hypnobirthing thing properly but did buy the labour companion cd to help me relax and concentrate on breathing during labour. It really helped in the early stages, managed with just this until I was about 7-8 cm dilated and then had some gas & air until it was time to push. Midwives were very surprised with how relaxed I was. Think I may actually go to the classes next time and learn more about visualisation rather than just the breathing techniques.

Sounds good Amelia.. I hope to be able to manage with just the breathing and relaxation CDs...

:)

x

Just another positive story for you - lady at work got to 10cm with no pain relief but unfortunately only one side of her cervix dilated and the other wouldn't so she ended up with a section. She said hypnobirthing was fab though x

I didn't go to any classes but I brought a book and downloaded some apps. This was my 3rd baby and I'm so glad I did! I trained myself really and I concentrated on the breathing side more then anything, my visualisation was the placing of baby on my chest at the end...it really worked for me. I had a pain relief free labour and I don't think I actually even made a sound! I just went into myself and focused on my breathing and therefore managed to just breath baby out :) it definitely wasn't pain free but it was very calm and relaxed. One of my midwives had been working as a sonographer for the past 10 years, I was her first delivery as a midwife and she told me after how much she had been bricking it going into work that day but that she would now remember me forever in a good way, so that's a bit special :) hypnobirthing is definitely worth it!!

Those who are planning to hypnobirth or who have had a hypnobirth - what are you doing about vaginal checks/examinations? I'd rather not be checked, doesn't seem to go along with the my body and baby knows best view point.

Only issue I can see is that I'd like to spend the later part of labour and birth in the pool but at the birthing centre they won't let you get in until you are 5cm...

I'm planning on staying at home as long as possible, so hoping that by the time I get to the BC I won't be too long off delivering but will the midwives let me get in the pool if I haven't been checked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back