Hyonobirthing//Natural Birthing

monsim

Reaction score
Any of the ladies here familiar with or have done "hynobirthing" ? Ive done extensive research and I think im going to make the decision to do it when it comes time for my baby to come into this world. Id love to hear any stories if anyone has done this or done a natural birth with any of their children. I just bought the book and CD on hypnobirthing and Im amazed! I also watched tons of videos on YouTube. Definitely something everyone should atleast look into! Basically hypnobirthing teaches techniques and visualizations to make a natural birth easy, beautiful, and painless. :dance:

I used Maggie Howell (book and CD's) and I also read the Marie Mongan book... Both books are well worth a read IMO even if you aren't going to use the techniques.

I never quite got the hang of the visualisation stuff but I had an amazing pregnancy and was calm, relaxed and chilled out about labour.

On the day it all went to pot - I was in early labour for 36h at home and by the time I went in I was exhausted, dehydrated and in a lot of pain.

I did end up having diamorphine and I used alot of G&A but despite needing the drip to help me along I refused and epidural and after a mammoth 51 hours I managed to deliver baby naturally without so much as a graze or a tear.

MW's were so impressed that I managed it after such a long labour. I was very close to needing intervention but when it came down to it my bod did what it needed to do.

I will def use the CD's and books again, hopefully next time I'll get a nice labour (loved my delivery but labour was a bit of a 'mare!)

xxxxxxxx

I used Maggie Howell (book and CD's) and I also read the Marie Mongan book... Both books are well worth a read IMO even if you aren't going to use the techniques.

xxxxxxxx

Hi there, how great that you're considering having a hypnobirth/natural birth. Totally agree with above. I used Mongan and even if you don't end up using everything I loved the book for the positive information and the relaxation CD. I had a natural homebirth in water for my first baby just using a few of the techniques from the book and some yoga for relaxation etc. and I had a wonderful labour - just 8 hours and no problems at all. Fingers crossed, I'm planning something similar this time :) (I'm about 24 weeks with number two)

I used the Maggie Howell natal hypnotherapy and had a quick labour at home in water. I had a bit of gas and air for transition but that was it.

Not sure about painless LOL! I read the hypnobirthing book and maybe some people can convince themselves of that, who knows. But it was possible to cope.

Last edited:
you can search for my hypnobirthing thread that I did in tri3. We did the full on 1:1 sessions with someone who came to our house. I found it fantastic easing anxieties at the end of pregnancy about labour
Sadly it didn't exactly go to plan, in fact it was pretty far away from a natural birth, and yet we managed to maintain calm and our baby is very chilled out so far. I'm sure the pre birth parenting stuff is good for creating the right circs early on.

Thank you ladies. Im only 20 years old and a bit nervous, this is my first. but my mom did it naturally with me, and for my baby, the pain will be worth it :)))

I had a natural child birth. Personally I think a painless birth is a bit much to aim for. Sure some women have them but I think it is just as much luck as technique. Most women have painful labours no matter what they do. I think it's unfair when people give the impression that you just need to do it right to have a painless birth because that is setting women up for failure. I don't mean all that in a pessimistic way or want to discourage you, just saying what helped me. For me it was all about managing and working with the pain. To do that I think you need to accept the pain and not be panicked by it or think you are 'doing it wrong'. Although labour was painful it was an amazing experience, I'd actually look forward to getting to do it again. I imagine it's kind of like winning a marathon. You have to work through the pain but the exhilaration is amazing. I didn't use hypno birthing techniques personally but staying calm and positive was really important. Moving around is what helped me the most with the pain. I spent most of my labour walking. My husband rubbed my lower back and I used heat on my back both of which helped hugely. I found the pain completely manageable except for a few contractions I had laying on my back and a period towards the end (which I think was during transition) when I had very intense pressure on my lower back that wasn't stopping between contractions. Even then I coped fine, it was just a bit harder and I had brief moments of panic or discouragement before I convinced myself I was fine and could do it.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to try hypnobirthing. Although my oh is a little skeptical I'm hoping when the time comes he'll do what I need him to. Ever since I experienced my mums water birth with my brother (although it wasnt actually hypnobirthing it was a nice calm atmosphere, not rushed, with no drugs, candles and soft music) I knew that's the sort of birth I wanted to aim for.

I'm reading the Mongan book at the mo and currently looking in to maybe doing a course as well. Trying to remain open minded that it may not work out as I hope I want to be as prepared for it as possible.

I have read the Mongan book, signed up for a Maggie Howell Natal Hypnotherapy course of 2x workshops - did the first one on Saturday - loved it.

Such a positive experience, 2nd workshop day is in January. The first one was all about teaching you relaxation techniques - its a bit like meditating - you become relaxed by breathing deeply and visualing that makes the pain more manageable/easier to cope with.

I'm only 24 weeks - so the proof will be in the pudding in terms of if it works on the day.. but for now at least I am loving the relaxation practise (proper me time) - can't hurt in pregnancy afterall. And I am 200% more calm about the birth/delivery - I didn't like the idea of being so afraid of something so amazing - something that brings the baby to us. I wanted a positive experience. And I feel I at the very least - part way there. you don't know what will happen on the day of course, and you don't know what each woman can cope with pain-wise... but I feel better about it, and love that I have another "tool" at my disposal.

I agree with a lot above - I am not expecting a painfree birth - but I am hoping for a more manageable birth, that I can cope with.

x

I had the Maggie Howell CD on my iPod and feel asleep every time I listened to it so it must of relaxed me :) I also did some relaxation techniques at our NCT classes. I had a natural labour and delivery and had such a positive experience. Like someone else said there most definitely was pain but I didn't panic and let my body do what it needed to xxx

I did the CD and read the leaflet that came with it. I found the learning to relax very useful. I think the calm state of mind it gave me when I was in labour so I found most of the 16h of it not very painful at all (at least not anything a couple of paracetamols couldn't take care of). I had a natural delivery in water with G&A and only a graze to show for it so I'd say it worked fine for me. :)

Last edited:
I can also highly recommend maggie howell, I def think it kept me calm and helped me through even though I went into labour a month early I didn't panic and my labour was very quick with no intervention or medication. When I got to hospital I was still calm and 9cm dilated, honestly thought I was nowhere near that as I wasn't in any pain just letting my body get on with it. ds was born 20 mins after we got the car parking ticket and I walked quite a way to labour suite thinking I had hours to go!

Hi - I'm a hynobirthing mum using the Mongan method.

My advice to you would be to read the book and practice loads. Go to a practitioner as well if you have some spare funds to do so.
The most important thing is the breathing techniques. If you're feeling nervous like I was, stay away from one born every minute and negative things like that. TV programmes only show the most dramatic deliveries for good ratings.
My first labour was 2 hours and 50 minutes and my second was 39 minutes.
Neither were "pain free" - I think that's wishful thinking but both were totally manageable pain wise. You are stronger mentally than you think!
Good luck with this - I highly recommend it. Feel free to ask me any questions x

Hi I had the mongan book and the Maggie Howell CD and I had a fab birth which I attribute entirely down to being so relaxed from the CD techniques, I always recommend natalhypnotherapy to anyone I know who is pregnant and will be doing it for this new one too! The way I see it as even if your birth doesn't go to plan you've still nothing to lose as it will help you stay calm :)

Edited to add - out of the 2 I much preferred the Maggie Howell CD as I couldn't get on with the American mongan method!

Last edited:
Hey ladies

I am interested in the Maggie Howell hypnobirthing CDs definitely but there are so many, which one do I need to buy to help me with labour and birth? (Am currently looking on eBay and there seem to be loads of different titles! Don't want to get the wrong one!)

Hey SarahCourtney, I've bought the natal hypnotherapy programme of 4 CDs which includes a post natal recovery CD too.

I bought the Maggie Howell set (Pregnancy Relaxation, Birth Prep, Labour Music & a Postnatal Recovery)... I have my 2nd and final Natal Hypnotherapy Workshop day in a couple of weeks - very excited. The first workshop day was great and I cannot recommend the Maggie Howell programme including the CDs enough...

Good luck x

Hi I had the mongan book and the Maggie Howell CD and I had a fab birth which I attribute entirely down to being so relaxed from the CD techniques, I always recommend natalhypnotherapy to anyone I know who is pregnant and will be doing it for this new one too! The way I see it as even if your birth doesn't go to plan you've still nothing to lose as it will help you stay calm :)

Edited to add - out of the 2 I much preferred the Maggie Howell CD as I couldn't get on with the American mongan method!

Hi Bunnykins - thanks for sharing your story - I read your birthing story with interest. I have been using the Maggie Howell CDs, and have signed up to 2 workshops (the 2nd of which is in a couple of weeks). Can't wait... I'm actually looking forward to the birth rather than dreading it now. So it's already working wonders in terms of preparing me for it. So if that's the only thing I get out of it, then so be it.

x

Hey SarahCourtney, I've bought the natal hypnotherapy programme of 4 CDs which includes a post natal recovery CD too.

Thank you but omg impossible to find on eBay! None of them have that name lol

I personally think hypnobirthing is a gimmick and its just common scene, relax, breath and listen to your body. Ive had two natural on gas and air (but I would have that for toothache I love it) and it was easy and pain free. I was shocked myself how easy I found it, but I think its luck and just individuals bodies, I knew a lass who was adamant she would have nothing and her sister had done it so she could, one c section later she had her baby, you can have all the willingness in the world but some people have more pain than others.

To me thinking about how much it should hurt and trying to stop it would make me think more about the pain, I just chatted to the midwife about her job and family and hospital parking, did some dancing and singing, bounced on a ball, and then gave birth. Did think about the pain once xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back