How many shots?

laurat

Reaction score
Now that I feel I should be within touching distance of my IUI its got me thinking about it a bit more. One of the things that I dont know for sure is in fact how many goes of IUI and IVF that I am entitled to. Ive done a bit of googling and the most recent guidelines I think Ive found for the Scottish NHS was dated 2009 which outlined that Greater Glasgow and Clyde offer 3 cycles of IUI and 2 cycles of IVF. Thing is I don't know if this is up to date. Is there anywhere official that you can check this?

Also some very close authorities ie. Ayreshire offer 3 cycles of IVF. Ive known its a postcode lottery for the waiting times but for the actusl amount of cycles too, is this right? So if I moved or rented a house in a neighbouring authority I would br entitled to more goes. Surely this is crazy?? If you do take the 2 cycles in your own authority could you seriously move to another to get another shot? I know people move for school placements and things.

Im kind of in a realisation time just now where as I have no chance whatsoever of conceiving on my own as I have no ovulation at all then the crux of the matter is if I get 3 tries of IUI only and 2 of IVF then in total I only have 5 shots of ever being pregnant. With under 30 % chance of them working. Not great odds is it?

Just wondering if it did get to it could I move to another authority to get more treatment? Just a bit of a ramble but feel a bit like reaity has hit me over the last few days and in my wait with no chance! Anybody know about guidelines etc?

Hey chick, I think you are right about 3 IUIs and 2 IVFs in Glasgow. It used to be 3 IVFs up until last year when they cut back :wall: My mum works in the royal and was going to ask one of the ACU docs a question for me on Tuesday so I will ask her to check with her and let you know xxx

Thanks Kay Kay! Appreciate it

Its so frustrating. I hope to never cross the bridge of needing them all but yet again the authority seems to lack in others. Ayreshire, Lanarkshire and Fife seems to still allow 3. Its mad when they are like 10mins away! Sorry Im just in a rant mood obviously ! LOL!

No rant away hun! I know what you mean, I actually live in North Lan and was offered to go with NL or Glasgow, really regret choosing Glasgow now! But that was way back at my initial GP appt and I did not have a clue about waiting times etc. I really just chose the royal cos it's a 5 min walk from my work and my mum works there. The whole thing is unfair hun, I'm right there with you!

I'm at the stage that every time OH talks about getting a bonus at work, cashing in shares (he works for a bank) or getting a pay raise I'm thinking 'ooo we could spend that on private IVF!' Who does that???!! Most people are like 'oooo a holiday or oooo home improvements!' Not me! Sad state of affairs :-( When did it come to this??!!

No rant away hun! I know what you mean, I actually live in North Lan and was offered to go with NL or Glasgow, really regret choosing Glasgow now! But that was way back at my initial GP appt and I did not have a clue about waiting times etc. I really just chose the royal cos it's a 5 min walk from my work and my mum works there. The whole thing is unfair hun, I'm right there with you!

I'm at the stage that every time OH talks about getting a bonus at work, cashing in shares (he works for a bank) or getting a pay raise I'm thinking 'ooo we could spend that on private IVF!' Who does that???!! Most people are like 'oooo a holiday or oooo home improvements!' Not me! Sad state of affairs :-( When did it come to this??!!

your not the only 1- everytime large amounts of money are mentioned (my mum jus had 10grand from a ppi claim) and i automatically thought oooooh that would be 3 good cycles there :rotl:

I do this too. Ive got a newish house (October) and feel Im constantly not spending money on things because it could be needed!

Yeah my consultant said 3 IUI and 2IVF for Glasgow when I saw him in Dec. Waiting times are hugely different across the health boards in west of scotland, despite the fact that they all use Glasgow Royal, it's mental. I'm from Ayr originally, almost makes me want to say I'm living back at my mum's, I think waiting time for Ayrshire in figures I could find was less than 6months for IVF.

Well as some of you are aware i get jack shit!! 6 goes of clomid and then nothing!! Frigging Harrogate for you!! xx

i would be entitled to 2 rounds of ivf not sure about iui though.

It really does sound like a postcode lottery, which is so unfair. I think they ought agree a nationaly fair scheme for everybody to get the same chances. I hope you can work the system in some way to help you to get the most go's.

I'm going private, but I'm the same, everything you might buy or need has a "kerching IVF value" in my head! My oven has been broken for 2 months now and I'm not replacing it till I can aquire or borrow for the ivf to be covered. Means I'm having to be more inventive on meal planning in my house, as I have a gas hob and a microwave. (I'd happily eat Baked beans every night to get the cash, but not everyone in my house feels the same!).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back