• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How many of you actually waited until 6 months to wean?

Lulu_Laroo

Reaction score
How many of you actually waited, and if you DIDN'T wait until 6 months, what was the reason you started weaning early?

Poppy will be 4 months old on Monday. She has been showing what the 'older generation' keep telling me as signs of wanting to start solids. I DID want to hold off as long as possible and was happy to just give her extra milk, but the past couple of nights she's woken up in the small hours screaming her lungs out which is SO unlike her. Don't think I've ever heard her scream! Do you think it would be ok to start her on a very small amount of runny baby rice?

I should add that her middle-of-the-night screaming is only cured by her gulping down 7oz of milk!

It could be her teeth and tge bottle is simply calming her bk down.

I waited till about a week b4 6 months and am really glad I did as it means I could do blw.

They say the signs are focusing on food when others are Eatting, trying to get the food, etc etc. It all depends on what weaning you want to do x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

emma is nearly 5 months and i have not started weaning yet- she doesn't need it yet - but one of my friends weaned her wee man at 4 months and wished she didn't - she thinks she mistakened his 4 month growth spurt with the need to wean.

I started 2 weeks before she was 6 months on health visitors advice and my own instinct :) I hated it At first and made it into this huge scary thing by over thinking it but I love it now :) x x x x

I tried E about 5 months and she wasn't interested, think she might have been just over 6 months when we eventually did it!

K on the other hand was 11 weeks! She was more than ready for it and I kept her on baby rice til 16 weeks and veg and apple til over 6 months! I know 11 weeks is very very early, but it was what she needed and I honestly have no regrets! My hv even said that some babies need weaning earlier and that hers were weaned at 12 weeks, but obvs she wasn't allowed to recommend it!!

My advice would be, give it a week or so, they do have growth spurts at 4 months (I think that's how oldyou said she is!) try and ride it out and if she's still not s happy bunny then try a bit of rice!zx

Sent from my spammy iPhone using Tapatalk - it's got a mind of it's own!

I agree with Alice Hun, give it a week & see if it's a growth spurt & if not try some rice x

I think baby rice is suitable from 3 months, and I was weaned at 3 months x

BUT I personally would wean that early unless i was totally sure LO was ready x I agree with alice too I'd hold off a wee while longer and see if its just a growth spurt xx

Thanks all. Guess what? She didn't wake up last night. So I guess its yet another growth spurt, and probably her teeth, as well. Her cheeks are bright red and shes still got a runny nose. I can see the two bottom teeth through the gums. And thanks for the information on baby rice - I had no idea! Will be giving that a miss, then!

We tried at 4 1/2 months as Tegan never drunk much milk she wasn't interested though. started again at 5 1/2 months with fruit Puree & Veg Puree then just over 6 months we switched to mostly BLW x

I gave my lo baby rice at 4 months because she was having loads of milk to comfort herself due to colic and so throwing it up because she was having too much so the middle of the day baby rice helped her stomach pains but soon moved onto mushed fruit. At 6 months though I moved to blw :) I would only wean early again if I had another lo with stomach problems/pain.

I started Aoibh on baby rice at four months (tiny tiny amounts at her dinner time bottle) for the same reason as AM , she was making herself ill by guzziling milk as a comfort . I moved onto pureeed fruits and veg until she was old enough for blw around six months . Lily however isnt ready for rice or any kind of solids and wont be for sometime yet . it really depends on the baby

I did try Avery at 4 1/2 months there cos of the "signs" which I read can be misread. I tried baby rice and fruit puree and she absolutely loved it...however...and I felt absolutely awful as it was me who started weaning her...she got extremely constipated to the point that she was really crying sore when passing numbers twos so was obviously in pain. I dunno whether or not I gave her too much too soon or that her digestive system just wasn't ready yet to handle weaning. So yesterday I had her straight back on milk only and thankfully her poop was soft today and no pain.

Every baby is different though. What worked for my DS at the same age just hasn't worked for my DD.

Personally I'm now gona wait until she hits 6 months to start weaning again cos I'm so scared of putting her through what I did the last few days. x

Sounds like you already have it covered, just wanted to agree re baby rice, it's evil stuff and totally unnecessary. If your baby is ready for food, then that's what they should have - food! I know lots of people use it as a weaning tool but it just ain't nice lol!

I weaned my older 3 at 4 mths (recomended then), and so when Devon showed the same signs, I didn't feel bad at starting early, but having thought about BLW this time round, it wouldn't have been easy in the end as by 6 mths he was eating so much we would have had a few problems with him getting enougth now that he was used to it. Recomend waiting esp if blw, We did traditional in the end (was used to this)

I waited til six months and then offered chunks of soft food, I think it was more like seen/eight months when he actually botany in his gullet lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back