• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who did actually wait until 6 months to start weaning?

christmasbabygirl said:
What are the signs they start showing when ready to start then? (my baby is FF)
Also if needed to wean early does that count for the jars or baby rice or what? i was thinking of doing mushed up fruit and things for breakfast and what were having for tea mushed up (if its baby friendly) so is this ok if she does need to be weaned early or only from 6 months?

Sorry for hijacking thread :oops: :oops: you have all got me interested now lol

Baby rice is recommended but it think it's only becasue it's a very plain food so babies shouldnt be too shocked by it and it's meant to be easy to digest, DD hated it, and only has it an an alternative to our rice and sometimes pasta in meals. We started by giving her yoghurt and fruit pots.
Making food yourself is great, it allows you freedom and you knwo exactly what is going in to your baby. You'll know when the time is right to wean her, and i really wouldnt worry about all the advice etcand trying to follow it to the book, use your intuition as her mummy and it'll come to you :hug:

I didnt think about anything like this when i was pregnant lol! :oops:
Thanks for the advice :hug:
I am looking forward to it! iv just been looking at the annabel karmel website (saw people talking about it on here) and they have some great recipes! i def think ill be doing the food myself as i have nothing better to do all day! and the jars are expensive and like you said you know whats going in when your preparing your own!

I dont think the baby rice looks that interesting lol! thanks again

I've found this thread sooo interesting. Lily is just over five months and my Mum is pressuring me to wean her. She has had reflux but is on prescription gaviscon and is lots better. One day I'm ready to wean her and the next I'm determined to wait until six months as she is showing no signs of wanting food and is definately enjoying her milk.

My question is..... what is baby led weaning? I was planning on doing the Gina Ford weaning as my sister's baby is a fab eater and he was weaned this way. Is BLW just offering the baby various bits of food and letting them choose whether to eat it or not? Is anyone else planning on doing the GR route?

Sorry for the totally out of date signature - please ignore - Lily has come on a lot since I wrote that!!

kx

There's a thread in this section called BLW blog - viewtopic.php?f=55&t=89993 have a read of it. Personally I wouldn't touch the book you mentioned with a barge pole but that's my personal choice. We're most content dipping into a few different pieces of advice here and there to suit Becky's needs rather than having a baby weaning "bible" as it were.

Anabel Karmel over GF any day.

GF books make good door stops in my opinion :lol:

*Star* said:
Anabel Karmel over GF any day.

GF books make good door stops in my opinion :lol:

Annabel Karmel books are amazing! I borrowed one off 'SIL' It's the 100 purees one i think. I can't give it back now coz i've used it too much. I need to buy her a new one.
But i make meals that i can up the quantity so OH can have it too! His new favourite meal is the Lamb and Sweet Potato casserole, and that it's the 7-9month section! :lol:

yep, I love her books! CAn't wait to dig them out again and start cooking everything for Amelia!

Oh my sister has given me the Annabel Karmel book too and said it was brilliant. I can't wait to start cooking for Lily! And I had a feeling that Gina was going to be hugely unpopular. She is massively dictatorial but I can't deny that her method has worked for my sister. I will have a read of the BLW thread and keep an open mind - thanks.

Karen x

I started weaning Georgia 2 weeks ago because for the last 3/4 weeks she's been waking earlier and earlier after sleeping through for 11/12 hours. She now gets up anytime from 4am onwards. Fortunately it's been 5/5.30 for most of the week but the other days it's been 4am. Very hard to get used to when you're used to a full nights sleep.

We started on baby rice but have now switched to porridge for breakfast and she has one ice cube of carrot or sweet potatoe for lunch but she doesn't finish it yet. It's going slowly but she's enjoying what she does have.

I used the Annabel Karmel book with my son and he's a good eater. Agree with Star, GF is good as a door stop :D

I think the key thing is to make sure your baby gets a wide variety of veg/fruit and flavours to help avoid them being fussy eaters. Also eat as a family as much as possible, does have a big impact on your LO's and how good an eater they are. The recipies in AK book are good family recipies so you don't have to make separate meals for the baby and the rest of the family.

Yeah and start with boring less tasty food like potatoes and get them enjoying them before seet fruits etc!
Thats another thing I have found works well! Once they taste the sweeter foods, if they dont already like the less tasty food they wont touch it! :D Who would!? lol

we started Emma at 4 months one meal a day then upped it over the weeks, I will be doing the same with Bethan if she seems ready :D

Bagpuss17 said:
I started weaning Georgia 2 weeks ago because for the last 3/4 weeks she's been waking earlier and earlier after sleeping through for 11/12 hours. She now gets up anytime from 4am onwards. Fortunately it's been 5/5.30 for most of the week but the other days it's been 4am. Very hard to get used to when you're used to a full nights sleep.

We started on baby rice but have now switched to porridge for breakfast and she has one ice cube of carrot or sweet potatoe for lunch but she doesn't finish it yet. It's going slowly but she's enjoying what she does have.

I used the Annabel Karmel book with my son and he's a good eater. Agree with Star, GF is good as a door stop :D

I think the key thing is to make sure your baby gets a wide variety of veg/fruit and flavours to help avoid them being fussy eaters. Also eat as a family as much as possible, does have a big impact on your LO's and how good an eater they are. The recipies in AK book are good family recipies so you don't have to make separate meals for the baby and the rest of the family.

Just out of interest has Georgia gone back to sleeping 11/12 hours since eating solids or is she still waking anytime from 4am onwards? Just curious to see whether weaning has made a difference to the reason you decided to wean early as I have friends who weaned for similar reasons and their babies still continued to wake.

Can someone give me a quick summary of what BLW is all about?

Thanks!

Claire x

Jacob isn't six months yet, but will be very soon. We're waiting. I'm excited to let him have a real go at some vegetables (I have let him lick them a little, but haven't given him the chance to eat them), but if he isn't interested I will carry on breastfeeding. I have the feeling he will love it, though. You should see the protest he puts up and the effort to get to our food when we are eating!

I am editing this to add that Jacob has always been a very hungry baby, too. He is very big for his age and there have been many days that I have found myself feeding him almost all day. I personally chose not to wean him early, though (despite what my health visitor told me) because milk (formula or breastmilk) has far more calories, vitamins and minerals then any baby food does, so early weaning just didn't make sense to me.

nori said:
Can someone give me a quick summary of what BLW is all about?

Thanks!

Claire x

Baby starts weaning at 6 months, eats solid food (i.e. no purees), bits and pieces of whatever you're eating usually (but not always depending on what you're eating) and they decide how much they want to eat. They feed themselves by hand rather than being fed by a spoon though you can let them use a spoon themselves and introduce cutlery as you see fit.

Me! I waited till 6 months :)

The reason being I was told it could damage babies digestive system to start earlier.

:)

moss said:
Jacob isn't six months yet, but will be very soon. We're waiting. I'm excited to let him have a real go at some vegetables (I have let him lick them a little, but haven't given him the chance to eat them), but if he isn't interested I will carry on breastfeeding. I have the feeling he will love it, though. You should see the protest he puts up and the effort to get to our food when we are eating!

I am editing this to add that Jacob has always been a very hungry baby, too. He is very big for his age and there have been many days that I have found myself feeding him almost all day. I personally chose not to wean him early, though (despite what my health visitor told me) because milk (formula or breastmilk) has far more calories, vitamins and minerals then any baby food does, so early weaning just didn't make sense to me.

This was the same with us, Reg was always bigger than average and fed often but I just offered him the breast more and he was fine to wait to 6 months :D

Ophelia has watched us eat from about 4months old, at 5months she would scream at me when I was eating and she wasn't given any, so I introduced a taste of half a baby jar a day, and pieces of fruit, and she loves it, but she's a mad chewer, she will chew ANYTHING! I really hate weaning with a spoon, and prefer to have her help by getting it all over her hands and doing it herself. Personally I'd have waitied a lot longer, past 6months, but she really had signs of wanting to wean, maybe its a second child thing, she loves watching Isaac eat?

This is a really interesting read.
I'm not sure what I'm doing yet. I weaned my eldest Charlie at 4 months which was the advice back then and he moved onto fingerfoods really well having had puree's - it worked for us. Henry's already showing some interest in food.. he shouts at us when we are eating and watches us/anyone eating. He chews his hands lots and eats his dribble bib too lol
Like other intuitive weaning mums have said... It'd be great if he holds out that long but I really can't see him getting to 6 months on breastmilk alone... he's getting far too bored with boobies during the day (too much other stuff going on) and feeds really well at night.

hey sarah :hug:

amelia is in 6-9 month clothes now, so she's doing great on breast milk alone.

but i feel like i'm not looking after her properly by not giving her foods. with oliver i was made to feel bad by the HV because he still had 3 bottles a day when he was past 1, but he loved his milk and just never really took to food until he was much older.

there is so much information available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back