Finger foods before 6 months

poppy160

Reaction score
Although at first I wanted to wait until 6 months to start weaning Ella, we've had to start at 5 months :roll:

Anyway, my HV said finger foods were a no no until at least 7 months, I was planning to start her on finger foods at 6 months, but she managed to grab a crust of bread earlier this morning and ate the lot! She's had a soldier of toast before just to feel, but unexpectedly took a bite and started chewing it but OH took it out of her mouth, but with this crust of bread she chewed and swallowed it no problem, and cried when I took the rest away.

Would it be a huge deal to give them to her now? She's a pro at purees and thick porridge/rice and has been since we started her. What else can we give her?

seren was on finger food at 5 1/2 months no bother. when we had the 8 month check the hv told us we should think about introducing them and it felt good to say "ah she's been only on the for 2 and a half months). i gave steamed veg, soft fruits, gluton free bread soldiers till 6 months, rice cakes etc

We did BLw so it was finger food from the word go. My HV was very pro this approach - she even had me talk to other mothers about finger foods. It was aminly fruit and steamed veg until 6 months (we started at just over 5.5 months), and then introduced bread, pasta and other wheat based things after 6 months. We gave her meat from about 6 months, but it took her longer to manage that. I wouldn't delay if you think she is ready.

Jared is 26 weeks and has been properly eating for 3 weeks, we started with finger foods straight away.We started with gluten free rusks (they also have less sugar than the reduced sugar rusks!!!!). It was great as he could get used to putting/having food in his mouth and chewing and they soon dissolved, so no gagging!
He now has rice cakes,fig rolls,organix carrot sticks and toast. Next step, just mashing his food! :eek:

xx

Cool, thanks for your replies. I was in town today so picked up some rice cakes and gluten free/reduced sugar rusks aswell. She had a rice cake about 15 minutes ago and she really liked it, I was worried because she got a bit stuck in her throat but she coughed it up no problem, the HV said they don't develop tha reflex until 7 months.

I'm so pleased, because I really wanted to to BLW and thought that was it because we had to start earlier but you lot have really made me feel better and I've realised we can do it still :)

poppy160 said:
Cool, thanks for your replies. I was in town today so picked up some rice cakes and gluten free/reduced sugar rusks aswell. She had a rice cake about 15 minutes ago and she really liked it, I was worried because she got a bit stuck in her throat but she coughed it up no problem, the HV said they don't develop tha reflex until 7 months.

I'm so pleased, because I really wanted to to BLW and thought that was it because we had to start earlier but you lot have really made me feel better and I've realised we can do it still :)

((((hugs)))) :D
xx

DS's first ever solid food was a gluten free rusk! We did blw but started at 5 months. I told my HV about the BLW & she said that's fine but he won't cope with finger foods until 7/8 months...

You can only judge it on your own baby. If she's reaching for foods & coping well with finger foods, she's ready.

DS gagged a few times but has only choked properly once, that was my fault I let him run round with an apple :roll:

Last edited:
James has been on finger foods as well as his purees for the past 3 weeks and he loves them and I have had no problems. He has 2 teeth which I think helps. He loves feeding himself. You can tell he feels like such a big boy! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back