4 months or 6 months????

Lou

Reaction score
Hi

My HV told me no solids till 6 months. Then another one told me for bottle fed babies solids at 4 months. Then my original HV told me 6 months again. Then I missed the weaning workshop and was given a leaflet with a food chart starting from 4 months!

ARGH!!!!!

What IS the age to wean your baby!!???? I don't want Isaac to be left behind but then I dont want to start him early and damage his tummy. The HV told me before 6 months food can damage the membrane in his stomach.

I have the rice in the cupboard and I'm too scared to use it!

Lou :)

i spoke to my HV yesterday she said that is was 4months but they now say a baby gets every thing they need from being feed milk up untill 6months.

but i think mothers no best, all babies are different.

i started weaning from a very young age

From the info I've read I believe that 6 months is best. Babies do not need solids before 6 months as their milk (whether bottle or breastfed) contains all the nutrients they need. Research has shown that babies can't digest food properly until after 6 months anyway.

But I'm alone in the 6 month weaning group :D I'm sure that the 4 month crowd will be along soon ;)

They keep changing it hun first it was four months then it went to six months now its gone to four months and now back up to six months i don't think they really know, when your baby start showing signs of needing solids E.g waking at night still beening hungary after milk or looking at your food showing an interest.

If it is 6 months then there will be a lot of damaged babies on here! Does he seem ready?? I would go by him and his needs and demands. Im not saying he should be getting a 3 course sunday lunch but if he needs a bit more than milk he must be ready.

I was speaking to my mum this morning and she asked what age they recommend weaning nowadays... my HV says not before 17 wks (personally I'm going to try and hold out until 6 months but also look for Olivia's cues as to when she is ready).... she told me with her first (my older sis who is 44) it was 5 wks :shock: yep, the HV told my mum to give her baby rice at 5 wks so that's what she did! Having had kids over 25 yrs she knows how much the information changes.

Lucy

Thank you for your replies :)

Isaac isnt really showing signs he need solids so i'm going to leave it for now I think. The thought of him choking is putting me off so I suppose the longer I wait then the more his mouth will be ready...? I'm clutching at straws lol He already has his bottom 2 teeth bless him so his mouth is getting ready sort of!

cheers

i weaned my son at 9 weeks and hannah at 17 weeks but with my son 9 weeks was acceptable and that was only 14 years ago so how times change

With Mason I was told 4 months, so I did, then with Brody he was waking up every HOUR in the night so I started him at 4 months too!

Until your baby shows signs of needing more, ie extra night waking or not settling after a feed there's no point giving solids earlier than 6 months in my opinion.

That's great Lou, glad you are going to wait :D (You can join me and Lucy in the corner ;) )

If you are going to leave it longer then you might want to have a read of this article:
http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintr ... lines.html

As you are bottle feeding it says to discuss with your HV, but I believe that a lot of it makes sense whether you bottle or breastfeed. Particularly the part about choking:

Many parents worry about babies choking. However, there is good reason to believe that babies are at less risk of choking if they are in control of what goes into their mouth than if they are spoon fed. This is because babies are not capable of intentionally moving food to the back of their throats until after they have learnt to chew. And they do not develop the ability to chew until after they have developed the ability to reach out and grab things. Thus, a very young baby cannot easily put himself at risk because he cannot get the food into his mouth in the first place. On the other hand, the action used to suck food off a spoon tends to take the food straight to the back of the mouth, causing gagging. This means that spoon feeding has its own potential to lead to choking – and makes the giving of lumpy foods with a spoon especially dangerous.

lauramum01 said:
If it is 6 months then there will be a lot of damaged babies on here!

Its not a case of damaging your baby, it is mainly about baby led weaning. Research is showing that baby led weaning is the way to go.

I found this info

WHY WAIT? 6 REASONS
Don't be in a rush to start solids. Here are some good reasons for waiting.

1. Baby's intestines need to mature. The intestines are the body's filtering system, screening out potentially harmful substances and letting in healthy nutrients. In the early months, this filtering system is immature. Between four and seven months a baby's intestinal lining goes through a developmental growth spurt called closure, meaning the intestinal lining becomes more selective about what to let through. To prevent potentially-allergenic foods from entering the bloodstream, the maturing intestines secrete IgA , a protein immunoglobulin that acts like a protective paint, coating the intestines and preventing the passage of harmful allergens. In the early months, infant IgA production is low (although there is lots of IgA in human milk), and it is easier for potentially-allergenic food molecules to enter the baby's system. Once food molecules are in the blood, the immune system may produce antibodies to that food, creating a food allergy . By six to seven months of age the intestines are more mature and able to filter out more of the offending allergens. This is why it's particularly important to delay solids if there is a family history of food allergy, and especially to delay the introduction of foods to which other family members are allergic.

2. Young babies have a tongue-thrust reflex . In the first four months the tongue thrust reflex protects the infant against choking. When any unusual substance is placed on the tongue, it automatically protrudes outward rather than back. Between four and six months this reflex gradually diminishes, giving the glob of cereal a fighting chance of making it from the tongue to the tummy. Not only is the mouth-end of baby's digestive tract not ready for early solids, neither is the lower end.

3. Baby's swallowing mechanism is immature. Another reason not to rush solids is that the tongue and the swallowing mechanisms may not yet be ready to work together. Give a spoonful of food to an infant less than four months, and she will move it around randomly in her mouth, pushing some of it back into the pharynx where it is swallowed, some of it into the large spaces between the cheeks and gums, and some forward between the lips and out onto her chin. Between four and six months of age, most infants develop the ability to move the food from the front of the mouth to the back instead of letting it wallow around in the mouth and get spit out. Prior to four months of age, a baby's swallowing mechanism is designed to work with sucking, but not with chewing.

4. Baby needs to be able to sit up. In the early months, babies associate feeding with cuddling. Feeding is an intimate interaction, and babies often associate the feeding ritual with falling asleep in arms or at the breast. The change from a soft, warm breast to a cold, hard spoon may not be welcomed with an open mouth. Feeding solid foods is a less intimate and more mechanical way of delivering food. It requires baby to sit up in a highchair – a skill which most babies develop between five and seven months. Holding a breastfed baby in the usual breastfeeding position may not be the best way to start introducing solids, as your baby expects to be breastfed and clicks into a "what's wrong with this picture?" mode of food rejection.

5. Young infants are not equipped to chew. Teeth seldom appear until six or seven months, giving further evidence that the young infant is designed to suck rather than to chew. In the pre-teething stage, between four and six months, babies tend to drool, and the drool that you are always wiping off baby's face is rich in enzymes, which will help digest the solid foods that are soon to come.

6. Older babies like to imitate caregivers. Around six months of age, babies like to imitate what they see. They see you spear a veggie and enjoy chewing it. They want to grab a fork and do likewise.

I had been introducing Seren to solids for the last week but am stopping them as for the last couple of days she has just spat it out (ate the lot before). Think I'll leave it til she wants to try again, she is nearly 5 months so perhaps I'll see if she gives me some more cues. This weaning lark is tricky, am so scared of doing the wrong thing. :(

That's some really good info Beanie - I agree that it's hard to know what to do sometimes. For me, BLW is the way forward. As much as I am tempted to let Ella try 'strawberry cheesecake in a tin' because it sounds nice, I know that it's not the best thing to do or the recommended thing to do. If food manufacturers stopped putting 'from 4 months' on their food then I'm sure there wouldn't be as much confusion. Neither would there be if there was consistent info given by all HVs!

i weaned B at 4 months lol he was a hungry babe so HV sed to start then

I don't think you can say 4 months is best or 6 months is best, it's what is best for your baby. Rubie isn't ready for solids. I tried her at 4 months because she was drinking so much milk (I was having to fill the bottle again when she had finished) but she just spat it out. Her milk intake has calmed slightly and she is showing no signs of being ready for solids so I will wait until she tells me (by waking in the night etc) before I wean her.

i weaned both of mine at around 12 weeks although the health visitor advised me to wait til 16 weeks but then was advised by quite a few other people that if you think they need it then try it with just a small amount of baby rice to start with, and i did and they both took to it straight away and havent stopped eating ever since :lol: i do think every baby is different though and only you will know when your bubba is ready ;)

wow thanks for taking the time to post that information. It was excellent advice.

I am definately waiting till Isaac is ready now. He is spot on the line of his growth chart and content with his bottles and water so I'm going to relax and watch for the signs from Isaac. He still sleeps through the night. Doesn't drain every bottle and watches us eat but not with any kind of eagerness to have some. Think he just wonders what the smell is!

Thanks again. You're help is much appreciated.

Ive stopped trying Ruby with the baby rice because she just doesnt seem very interested in it. I mean the only reason I started it was because she was getting really moany in the evenings and wanted to feed on me all the time. It turns out that she just wanted more milk and my poor old boobies couldnt handle it, so I reluctanly give her a bottle of formula once a day around the time she starts to moan and now shes as happy as anything.
When my son was a bubba I started with the baby rice at 3 months, but that was 9 years ago and things have changed. Hes now a very fussy eater, whether thats to do with early weaning I dont know but after reading that article above Im beginning to wonder.
Ah well, I guess as most people say Ill know when shes ready.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rooander said:
Ive stopped trying Ruby with the baby rice because she just doesnt seem very interested in it. I mean the only reason I started it was because she was getting really moany in the evenings and wanted to feed on me all the time. It turns out that she just wanted more milk and my poor old boobies couldnt handle it, so I reluctanly give her a bottle of formula once a day around the time she starts to moan and now shes as happy as anything.
When my son was a bubba I started with the baby rice at 3 months, but that was 9 years ago and things have changed. Hes now a very fussy eater, whether thats to do with early weaning I dont know but after reading that article above Im beginning to wonder.
Ah well, I guess as most people say Ill know when shes ready.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thats what has happened with me. I spent the whole day cooking carrots and mushing them up as well and she just spat it out. Am considering the formula but she had one last night and woke up more then usual. :?

Am considering the formula but she had one last night and woke up more then usual. :?[/quote]

I wonder if thats it you know, for the past two nights Ruby has woken up at 4am and then last night 5am. She has never woken up like that since she was about 10wks old. I guess I cant have it all good, its keeping her happy in the evening but waking her at night. Ah well Ill see how tonight goes.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back