How long does your baby sleep for?

Squiglet

Reaction score
Lil miss only had 2 hours sleep today, broken into 4 30minute naps. She woke up at 8:30am and its now 11:30pm our time and she is STILL AWAKE...

So that makes her sleeping less than 12 hours a day. She's only 6 weeks old surely thats not normal... :wall: :wall: :wall:

On average how do other babies sleep...including naps etc,

Joe was like that, he was a nightmare sleeper. Got better slowly but surely. I was asking anyone with a baby that looked a wee bit older if they were sleeping well. Pretty desperate.

She is maybe just slowing down and struggling to find her pattern.

Imogen has varied a lot since being born. First few weeks she slept LOADS.... like 18/24 hours!!!

Then she kinds of went up and down with her pattern and at around 2 months she has slept for signifant less time during day. We are trying to introduce a routine - this is what we are aiming for and what LO seems to be doing (it's what we based the "ideal" (!!) routine on...

Between 6.30 and 7.30 pm BED until 6.30 am next day with the folowing wakes during this time...
wake her at 11.30/midnight for dream feed
LO usually wakes at around 3.30/4 am for a top up feed

so that's 11 hours ish

then during day she cat naps in morning prob for 2 hours in total
afternoon she sleeps for about hour and half (I wake her if she hasn't woken by 2 hours and feed her).

soooo... that is er.... 14/15 hours - HV said babies of Imogen's age should be sleeping for between 14-16 hours so we are on track!!

I found it so interesting the chat at my baby group this week, HV was all for establishing aroutine for LOs. She said think about the routine that comes natural to them and work around that. Pre-empt when they are tired and get them used to sleeping independently and alone.
It made me think and LO is responding well to it so far...VERY early days, but I feel confident that we shall persevere and who knows it may pay off. Will certainly make us feel better about leaving LO with babysitters (only Nanny or good friend) as she will be asleep for most of it so no worries about her getting over tired, or being hard to entertain...
will have to make sure nanny comes early tho to see LO awake!!!

Well, best go and get the feed ready for LO as I am going to wake her up for dream feed. She is so sweet when I call her name, she does wake up and does a really scrunched up face as she stretches... I have just GOT to video it before she stops doing it... hopefully she will never stop it. OH saidI am like that when I wake up... well could be worse I guess. I am assuming he means cute like imogen!!! :D

I would say it takes a while for some babies to establish their routine. Good luck with it, if you are worried speak to HV. x

Yesterday my llittle girl only slept for about 2hours in naps but the day before she slept the whole day. She seems to change from day to day I just let her do what she wants :D

holly has 2 naps of about 30mins during the day, can be longer if we are out and about and she is in her pram. she then goes down at about 7.30pm and wakes for a feed between 2-3am so she has about 14-16hrs sleep per 24 hrs...

now she has gotten over her cold she is back to being quite a good sleeper.... i consider myself very lucky!!

Kyran has only just got out of that stage with me but he can still fall into it sometimes and when he doesnt sleep properly he gets his grumpy head on.

I think he was going through a growth spurt coz he wasnt settling after a bottle or not drinking it all, changed the teats and he was much more settled for a couple weeks then he did it again and i changed his milk now he seems to sleep better?

If your little one is bottle fed id suggest making one of those small changes. you'll no which ones best.

Well she only went to sleep at 12:30am last night and that's because I capitulated, went in and slept with her... I put her on the boob, she had three sucks and was fast asleep :roll: and stayed that way till 4am when she woke up had a dream feed... then woke at 8:30am. She then grumped and grizzled until 11:30 when I lay on the sofa with her, boob in head, and she slept for 1.5 hours :shock: but she was shattered...

Her problem isn't hunger, she just so interested in everything that she seems to get over stimulated and over tired and then can't sleep. We would try a bottle of formula to see if we could settle her for longer as she still feeds ever 2 hours most of the time, but she doesn't tolerate formula well and she gets terrible tummy pain. :cry:

The tummy pains are something ive had to cope with switching to formula. Um if you do try to use formula again in the future try the cow and gate comfort (yellow and sort of sky blue box). Its for easier digiestion and ive found its much better and the dr brown bottles. They come with slower teats so she can get use to it first. Plus they have the special vent straw systems to. should help her with the tummy ache. Hope this helps :)

Oh no squig, I have no advice but I really hope she becomes a happy mini squiglet too and the momma does too.Sounds really tough :hug:

Mine used to do that :wall: Power nap and then be awake for hours and hours. What do you do with an awake newborn ??? :)
At 3 months she started sleeping longer. Just started doing it one day. Didn't do anything to encourage it. Know how you feel. Did get better for me as soon as she got a bit older. Didn't help with nights much though...

Isaac was like that, he did OK whilst co-sleeping but NEVER seemed to nap, it was crazy :lol: Then from 5months he started doing 6-6 and only wake once or twice for a mini BF, those feeds have now finished as he's eating more through the day and evening so stay hopeful, she'll settle down :hug: :hug: :hug:

my lo (5weeks old) has a 4 hour kip at lunchtime, with me. a few snoozes in the day.
We put her to bed at 11ish and she sleeps till 5am hten up again at 7 when daddy leaves for work.maybe she hears his alarm? :lol:
mine seems to sleep lots :think: oh well :lol:
I guess every baby is different. im a good sleeper myslef tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back