Hospital Births.. *Rant*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momma`Kat

Reaction score
I keep reading the Birth Announcement stories, And they are pissing me off, the medical staff, seem to just not give a flying monkey sh*t what we want, or say.

Like pingu , not wanting an induction and then the midwife just turns up to do it anyway.
Or women going in and just being told "Oh youve got plenty of time" when they are 8 cm already, We know our own bodies! If our bodies tell us we are ready to push , we are ready to push!

And this thing of not being able to push yet cause your waters havent broken< i mean what the hell !? Ive seen videos of babys born in their waters/sac ! And not being allowed in the pool till you are 4cms, WHY !? Its a freakin pain in the ass.

I do -not- want a hospital birth. But I have to, and i swear to god, if one midwife or doctor says anything like that to me, they will be not to politely asked to shove it up their ass and find me a new one. I know how i want to have my baby. And unless HER health is actually at risk, Im not changing my plan.

None of this "Baby might be too big to give birth to naturally, We will book you a c-sec before your due date just incase" or when im only 2-3 days over due and they wanna sweep me, It aint gonna happen, The baby will come when its damn well ready "Your contractions arent progressing, we wanna hook you up to oxytocin" Id like to see em try.

So my actual question is.. Has anyone had babies at Royal Infirmary Edinburgh?
And how do you get the medical staff to back the hell up without pissing them off ? :)

Last edited:
why cant you have a home birth hun?

in answer to a couple of your points, quite often, people want to push before they're actually fully dialated, which can cause a lot of problems if you do, everything swells up!

And not being allowed in the pool til you're 4cm, it can actually slow labour down if you get in too soon, so theyre doing it for your own good :)

you can actually refuse any intervention such as sweeps/induction!

know what, i'm starting to feel bit like a parott, i'm sure i've said all this before...

in answer to a couple of your points, quite often, people want to push before they're actually fully dialated, which can cause a lot of problems if you do, everything swells up!

And not being allowed in the pool til you're 4cm, it can actually slow labour down if you get in too soon, so theyre doing it for your own good :)

know what, i'm starting to feel bit like a parott, i'm sure i've said all this before...

Being in the pool can slow labour down? So why do midwifes tell mums to get in the bath for a while before going into the hospital ? Surely that would do the same thing?

As for home birth, Im set on a water birth, And my floor cant hold a pool, my bath isnt big enough, and i cant actually afford to rent a pool in the first place. Also my midwife said cause I will need anti-d after the birth that i would need to be in hospital.

You may have a bad picture from reading other peoples birth storys but I bet some of the people that told their storys are very grateful for the hospital staff and having their baby on a hospital. I for one am very grateful for my hospital birth because liv had decelerations on her heart rate and the cord around her neck. I feel If I'd of been at home anything could of happened and she might not be here now.

As for sweeps I never wanted one and ended up having two. Once your overdue all you want is your baby here you'll try anything.

To be honest I think you have a very bad, negative attitude towards hospital births from other peoples experiences which isn't good.

You may have a bad picture from reading other peoples birth storys but I bet some of the people that told their storys are very grateful for the hospital staff and having their baby on a hospital. I for one am very grateful for my hospital birth because liv had decelerations on her heart rate and the cord around her neck. I feel If I'd of been at home anything could of happened and she might not be here now.

As for sweeps I never wanted one and ended up having two. Once your overdue all you want is your baby here you'll try anything.

To be honest I think you have a very bad, negative attitude towards hospital births from other peoples experiences which isn't good.

Yeah your kinda right, In the end they are happy to have a healthy baby, but that doesnt mean the way the birth was handled by medical staff, was favourable.

I'm sorry but why are you always negative? Do you not want your baby here as easily as possible? Even if that means medical staff have to do what they thinks way even if you don't want it?

What if you do things your way and something happens to you or your baby? Isn't that worse?

Being in the pool can slow labour down? So why do midwifes tell mums to get in the bath for a while before going into the hospital ? Surely that would do the same thing?

As for home birth, Im set on a water birth, And my floor cant hold a pool, my bath isnt big enough, and i cant actually afford to rent a pool in the first place. Also my midwife said cause I will need anti-d after the birth that i would need to be in hospital.

I have to have anti D after birth and my mw has okayed my home birth, just waiting for my consultant to sign off on it but that's from my back problem rather than anything else.

Like you I don't want any sweeps or inductions unless there is a problem with Seb and I have included this in my birth plan. It's your right to refuse inductions and sweeps.

I had a hospital birth with DD and my mw was so nice! She encouraged me to push whenever I felt like it once I was 10cm and was really supportive. She even actively encouraged me to labour in the pool and use the birthing ball.

I'll admit I was a bit confused by the 'don't push yet your waters haven't gone' bit of someone's birth story as I've seen babies born in their waters and it wasn't a problem. Maybe different places have different rules?

I think the way forward is to be calm and well informed about the choices you can make and have facts to back up what you do and don't want, that way when the medical staff present you with say an induction you can refuse calmly but firmly and explain exactly why you don't want one iyswim? One of my major points in my birth plan is I do not want to be offered any drugs such as pethidine and I have explained exactly why I don't want this and what I will do if I do want any pain relief.

Another tip for when they offer you something that you don't want is to ask 'is there any risk to me or my baby?' if the answer is no then ask for another half hour to make a decsision and then ask again. This is what my OH will be doing for me. Hope this helps.

I think if you wanted a home birth but are now being told you need to be in hospital for whatever reason, as long as you go in and make it clear that you don't want certain things ect then you'll have a positive birth.

As meeah has said, Im so grateful for the medical staff and the way they handled things. Yes, there are things I wish Id said to them, but if it wasn't for them and the way they acted then Im certain Paige wouldn't be here today.

You need to go into the situation feeling positive about things. If you go into the hospital thinking its going to be awful...it will be. Just relax, make your feelings clear and also be prepared for a little wiggle room with the staff :)

Last edited:
trust me the hospital staff are brill and u must listen and consider evrything they say. after all they are only there 2 help u!!!!
like the other girls say ur being way 2 negative. the staff will listen 2 what u want but just be open minded i say as it helps alot.
and why wont ur floor hold a pool??? dont get it

I'm sorry but why are you always negative? Do you not want your baby here as easily as possible? Even if that means medical staff have to do what they thinks way even if you don't want it?

What if you do things your way and something happens to you or your baby? Isn't that worse?

Labour isnt supposed to be EASY Meeah. Im not going to have this that and the next thing just for my comfort!

You also seemed to have missed the line I put in of.. "Unless there is a risk to HER health" aka the baby, then im sticking to my plan. Yes at the end of the day baby comes first.

trust me the hospital staff are brill and u must listen and consider evrything they say. after all they are only there 2 help u!!!!
like the other girls say ur being way 2 negative. the staff will listen 2 what u want but just be open minded i say as it helps alot.
and why wont ur floor hold a pool??? dont get it

High Rise flats mel_ed. Birth pools are heavy. Would also be damn near impossible to empty again without flooding somewhere Lol

connors my only baby and i never went to the classes or watched videos and never even made a birth plan! the midwives in the labour ward turned me away after i had been in labour for 2 and a half days, wouldnt even let me through the front door even when i was having contractions outside in the pissing rain! i went to the DMU though and they took me in no bother, gimme room with a pool n stuff n just let me get on with it! They asked if i had any requests n i said not really so they just kept an eye on me. my waters never broke and my midwife said she was going to break them cuz she wanted him to be born in his sac!

I was really angry with the labour ward for turning me away but if i had been there they would have broke my waters and prob ended up with forceps or something because he as lying back to back the whole time

connors my only baby and i never went to the classes or watched videos and never even made a birth plan! the midwives in the labour ward turned me away after i had been in labour for 2 and a half days, wouldnt even let me through the front door even when i was having contractions outside in the pissing rain! i went to the DMU though and they took me in no bother, gimme room with a pool n stuff n just let me get on with it! They asked if i had any requests n i said not really so they just kept an eye on me. my waters never broke and my midwife said she was going to break them cuz she wanted him to be born in his sac!

I was really angry with the labour ward for turning me away but if i had been there they would have broke my waters and prob ended up with forceps or something because he as lying back to back the whole time

See, thats what i want. Be given the room, access to the pool, and left to get on with it. *nods*

Not every experience is the same, I had a hospital birth and couldn't have had a more understanding, lovely midwife.. She didn't make me do anything I didn't want to do, she listened to everything I said and helped me in every way possible.. I couldn't fault my experience with having a hospital birth.. xx

& also, the MW left us alone plenty of times and said as long as I wasn't in full blown labour that she would be happy to leave us to it, I didn't want that though.. She was so fab and kept me calm and collected.. She really was brilliant x

Oh for god sake I don't mean easy without any bloody pain!!! I mean easy without complications!! I know what labours bloody like I've been through it and your going to get one hell of a shock when your time comes. That's all I have to say.

I'm not getting involved with your posts anymore you make judgements and then don't listen when people try to give their opinions.

Oh for god sake I don't mean easy without any bloody pain!!! I mean easy without complications!! I know what labours bloody like I've been through it and your going to get one hell of a shock when your time comes. That's all I have to say.

I'm not getting involved with your posts anymore you make judgements and then don't listen when people try to give their opinions.

Filling a woman full of drugs to induce labour, then to numb her feelings of it, dont reduce complications Meeah..

And uh.. One hell of a shock? I dont think ive said anywhere that I think its gonna be easy, and painfree have I ? No. Simply that I have a clear understanding of how id like my birth to go, and the situations that would change that are few.

I haven't been induced and I didn't have any pain relief other then gas and air thanks. So I haven't said anything about any of those reducing complications. Your just putting words in my mouth. I'm on about the later you leave your baby in there the higher the need for a c section.

Your just a very negative person end of. I have nothing more to say.

I haven't been induced and I didn't have any pain relief other then gas and air thanks. So I haven't said anything about any of those reducing complications. Your just putting words in my mouth. I'm on about the later you leave your baby in there the higher the need for a c section.

Your just a very negative person end of. I have nothing more to say.

You said that you had nothing more to say in your last post, Maybe make up your mind huh.

I wasnt talking about YOUR particular experience either, thanks. I was speaking in general. The ONLY specific birth I have referenced too, Is Pingu's.

I would rather that baby was late, ended up coming by c-sec and was able to breath properly, and feed properly, and be a proper weight, rather than being induced because my doctor is paranoid about 10 freakin days, and the baby not being ready, and there being complications from the induction that could lead to a c-sec anyway.

Actually, sometimes pain relief can reduce complications, if you're contracting hard and fast, but you're not progressing, both you and baby can get stressed, so you may be offered an epidural or suchlike to reduce the stress on both of you!

Have you ever heard of PMA kat? Why don't you try going into this saying, right, I may not be able to have a home birth, but I'm still going to have as close a birth to the one I want as possible?! If you go into the hospital a d are negative towards the midwives, chances are they'll be negative back!

Oh and having a bath before you're in established labour can slow it down, they advise you not to get into the bath til your contractions are coming regularly!

Kat you need to do your research a bit better, babies born by c section often need help to breathe when Theyre born cos teir lungs arênt stimulated in the same way try would be with a vaginal birth! Why the he'll are you so bloody negative towards everything/one?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back