Home births

siobhan

Reaction score
I just wondered if anyone on here had there baby at home? My last labour wasn't very long and the hospital where I go to give birth is 45mins away. Im worried I will go into labour, set off in the car and be too far gone to make it to the hospital in time and end up giving birth on the back seat! They dont do gas and air over here which is all I used for both births, its more of a natural way over here, breathing, aromtherepy, acupuncture etc. Also over here they like you to stay in 5 days afterwards, I was out with 24hrs of my first and within 4 hrs with my second.

I like the idea of a home birth but there is that small risk in the back of my mind that the hospital is 45 mins away if god forbid naything went wrong. Im really torn. So I was wondering what your experiences of home birth were?

i had a home birth. it was absolutely gorgeous.

if you cna have one do it!!!

what i would advise is plan one and see how you go. Stay at home as long as you can . At any time you can be transfered to hospital if you want.

You have two midwives with you all the time too. Which is great1 its much safer at home. I wish i had done it before.

good luck

if you want any more info just ask.

I'll probably ask loads! :lol:

Im quite for it, I believe I am strong enough to do it. Its my husbnad who is not as keen he is really worried that something will go wrong and been so far away from a hospital... Was your partner up for it straight away?

Im even more inclined this way as I have a 1 year old nad a 2 and a half year old. I dont think I would want them here when its actually happening but I want to see them soon afterwards. Not sure if you have read any other posts of mine but my husband is in the army so he comes and goes a lot. The kids are used to him dissapearing for months and weeks at a time, they are used to moving house and staying here there and everywhere but I am their one constant in life. I am always here for them so to be left with someone else for who knows how long whilst I had the baby and then not come home while I stay in the hospital, I think would disturb them a lot.

my husband was dead set against it. but i thought i am the boss ill do what i want. in the end he really loved it. He thought it was fantastic.
The other children went to my parents while i was in labour. I watched a few dvd's and washed the pots - put some washing in etc. Went to the loo when i wanted, laid on the settee when i wanted , stood up when i wanted , i even nipped next door at one point :lol: And of course i was online too. :lol:
i had baby and within minutes my other children came to see her. My brother and sister in law came to see her and my parents came. I had a lovely cup of tea and happiness filled the house - i can't describe how lovely it was.

when all had settled down my midwife tucked me up in bed with baby and said goodbye.
She came the next day to see i was ok.

It was fab. no rush to hospital, no bags to pack, no upheaval for the other children, was able to snuggle up to hubby and baby hours after she was born. jusr eperfect. really was. :hug:

ive put myself down for a homebirth
hubby is all for it as this way there will be less blood/ect for him to have to cope with then in a hospital as he can come and go in the room as he pleases
manda xx

down this way now when u go into labour instead of going to hospital when u think the time is ready a midwife comes out to you and you stay at home for as long as the midwifes thinks its ok to and only when she says she then acompanys you to the hospital and stays with u for the whole birth... i want a home birth but my OH is dead set against it he doesnt think its safe enough but ive got 30weeks to let him warm to the idea(secretly hoping i progress really fast and dont have time to get to hospital haha)

I had one - it was an amazing experience, I couldn't rate it highly enough. My birth story is in a link in my signature.

Valentine xxx

It sounds absolutly perfect...Another thing putting me off the german hospital is that they like the baby to sleep in a nursery with all the other babies fairly soon after they are born to give new mummy a rest. They also like to take them away to do the various tests. In the UK I had my labour, gave birth in the same room then pretty much went home, so was with the baby all the time. Now I appreciate they will do things slightly different over here, but I find those first few hours a brilliant bonding time, not just for me and the baby but my husband as well. I know I can ask for the baby to be kept with me at all times but as that is how they do it over here, I feel I should respect their way...

The more I am hearing the more I feel myself drawn towards a home birth. I think I will wait and see my midwife again and speak to her before I broach the subject with my husbnad again, and maybe trawl the net for some more info.

You've definatly given me something to think about anyway! Thanks ! :D

i had a home birth and im sooooooo glad i did! a link 2 my story is in my signature if u wanna read it. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back