a few questions please :-)

Kimbo

Reaction score
Theres a couple of things i've been thinking of lately about the birth..
any help appreciated.

Position when pushing -
What position were you in when you pushed the baby out? To me, being on all fours sounds like it could help a little bit, but all the videos / pictures show the woman lying on her back.. is it up to you which position you push the baby out? or do they prefer you to be on your back because it's easier for them?

Also.. after the birth, how long is it before they let other people into the room to see you and baby? and when do they let you have a shower?

And when you are pushing, can you ask for a mirror to see the head coming out?? I would love to be able to see her head coming out but not sure if youc an just ask for a small mirror so you can see???

i'm sure there are other things i want to know but i can't remember at the moment lol :hug:

Position when giving birth:

I was in the very flattering position of on my back with my legs in stirrups.. that was only because the had to turn Jack then as soon as they did 2 pushes and he was out. My midwife was very encouraging before this trying to move me around etc so I would imagine you can give birth however you want.

After the birth (9pm) my cousin came up and was allowed in room straight away but this was because she was bringing my pj's up cos I forgot to pack them :wall: I didn't actually get visitors other than that because by the time it came to visiting hours the next day I had gone home. Thing it differs at each hospital so maybe check with your midwife.

Can't see there being a problem with using a mirror but you may be best taking your own or asking the midwife if they have one at hospital to make sure. Your brave though, feeling the head coming out was enough, didn't wanna see it :rotfl:

I was laid on the bed but was almost sitting up if you know what i mean with 2 midwifes holding my legs.
I was ok to move about at first but i kept nearly falling over with the gas and air :oops: OH had to catch me a few times :D

After i had given birth i had a shower after the midwife had finished my stitches and was then moved to the ward. When i got to the ward it was visiting hours so my mum and dad came then (it was only me and OH at the birth)

I think you would be able to use a mirror but you would prob need to take your own if you really want to do it just incase they don't have one :D

I started pushing laid on my back(although sat up a bit and holding on to my legs) but not much was happening so I got up on my knees and leant over the back/head of the bed. I pushed like that until the head was crowning and then the MW asked me to turn over on to my back again for when the baby actually came out. I was lucky really because i'd had an epidural but still had some use of my legs enabling me to get up on my knees. I was only pushing for 30 minutes which was really good seeing as i'd had an epidural.

A little while after i'd given birth the MW asked me to try getting out of bed to see if my legs had enough feeling in them for me to go and have a bath. My legs were still like jelly though so they gave me some wet wipes and a towel so that I could give myself a bit of a wash down below whilst still in the bed.

Because I gave birth at 8.52pm it was too late for visitors anyway so I can't really help with that question. My Mum and OH were with me at the birth so they stayed with me until I was moved to the ward sometime around midnight. My Dad and my Step Mum also nipped in after I had given birth but they didn't stay for long. The visiting hours at Plymouth Hospital are 10am till 8pm for partners and 2pm till 7pm for everyone else(If I remember correctly :think: )

I don't know about the mirror but i'm sure it will be ok if that's what you want. Maybe take one with you just incase they havn't got one that you can use.

I laboured on my back propped up a little holding onto my legs (couldn't move much as I had a drip in my hand.) I managed to push her out in 5 minutes. Being on my back wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, although it would have been a bit more comfortable sitting up a bit more.

I didn't have visitors but as I'd given birth at 6.27pm it would have been too late by the time they'd sorted me and baby out.

I had a bath about 2 hours after giving birth - don't think I had the strength to stand in a shower lol.

I never wanted to see her coming out so don't know about the mirror but there's no harm in taking one along.

:D

I gave birth in a half sitting, half lying position with my legs in stirrups as I had an epidural. I held onto my legs, the MW wouldnt let me hold onto the bed, she said I needed up put my energy into myself, and it really did help.

Because of the epidural I couldnt have a shower straight away so a lovely auxiliry nurse came and gave me a bed bath and made me feel better. She cleaned me up 'down there' but after giving birth you dont care who else sees your lady bits. I had a proper shower that evening (about 15 hours later...and my God, it was THE BEST shower Ive ever had)

I dont know about the mirror tho hun :hug:

I was on my back when I delivered paris with my legs in stirups, they let me touch her head as she was coming out but i didn't get to see her, I think it helps you to focus on pushing them out.

Think I got a bath about 7 hours after the birth, had to wait ages for a nurse :roll:

It all depends on which pain relief you have too! As I had an epidural I had no option than to give birth on my back.
On all fours has got to be the best position as gravity must help! :hug:

I was kind of on all 4s - hanging over the settee and then when that no longer became a productive way, I was kind of semi reclined on the floor holding my ankles above my head (amazing how I contorted myself!!!).

Funnily enough, my shoulders really ached the next day from giving birth - maybe the way I was hanging over the settee?

On my back floating in the birth pool :D apparently most pool ladies do all fours but I just wanted to take the pressure off my back so for me lying back was best.

Nobody came to visit me except OH and he just came during normal visiting hours on the ward.

I didn't have a mirror but my midwives were really good so I probly could have done if I had wanted to. If it's something you really want then take one in case they don't have one. My midwife told me when his head was crowning so I felt it... so weird, but so glad I did :) really motivated me to keep pushing.

postition- i was originally kinda squatting (i was in the birth pool) but the MWs got me out coz they thought i was "too nervous" (they were telling me to push when i needed to but i kept saying i didnt kno how to and i didnt wanna poo lol) so in the end i was on my back on the bed. tbh i was glad really coz i was SO exhausted i just wanted to lie down.
i had a little tear going backwards towards my bum, apparently if ur on ur back and u tear it more likely goes backwards, if ur squatting or on all fours it more likely goes forwards towards ur urethra which i think sounds more painful! idk how true that is hehe

after the birth the MWs left after an hour or so (i was at home) and my family were here shortly after. they MADE me get a shower as soon as i'd been stitched up! i didnt want to tho lol

they offered me a mirror when millie was emerging but i declined lol i didnt wanna see that i wouldve fainted LOL

It is easier for the MW, also a lot have epidural so cannot move into another position. Nature tells you to sit up or stand up, and that makes sense as then gravity will help birth, lying down is not the best position, but some women find it comfortable. You can give birth in any position you like, and ask for help to get into it if you need it at the time too :hug: :hug: :hug:

I'm sure you can use a mirror if you like, also once LO's head is out, they will sit you up to see if you ask, and there's time. Take a mirror in with you so you'll defiitely have the option. We wanted to film but they're not very keen in the delivery suites, and as it resulted in forceps and episiotimy we couldn't film anything. I would have loved to have captured Isaac entry into the world, I think a mirror is a lovely idea :hug:

I really wanted to have an active birth but in the end where i was so tired from it being so long, i ended up giving birth to her sat on my bum in the birth pool. I couldnt even lift myself up for her to use the doppler, and the only thing keeping my head out of the water was my hubby. MW said i was so shattered and i kept falling asleep between contractions. She was born in the water and i was moved to the bed to deliver the placenta. I think that it was the worst position ever to labour in and i wont be doing it again this time. Even more painful than that was when i got out the pool and layed on my back, ouch!!

I was offered a bath straight after giving birth about midnight, but i declined and just wanted my bed. I had a shower (well kneeling down anyway, i was still knackered) the next morning about 10am , and it felt so good. I didnt want to get out.

The midwife i had had an unhealthy obsession with trying to get me to look in a mirror at Islas head, i kept saying no thanks and she kept trying to force me to look. Why do i want to see my lady bits torn to shreds, no thanks!!! :think: She did give up eventually and asked me to touch the head as she crowned, not much better than the mirror but i did it to shut her up.

I was on all fours for most of my pushing, but eventually gave birth sitting up, as I had to turn over for the midwife to insert a catheter (my full bladder was stopping my baby from coming down any further). It's actually not as bad as it seems as you get to pull against your own legs to give you some extra force! My midwife asked if I wanted to see the baby coming out but I didn't think I could have coped with that at the time, so declined. You may have to take your own mirror though just in case they don't have one.

After birth I started breast feeding my baby straight away while the midwife was stitching me up, so it was about an hour or more before I had a shower but it was the best shower I've ever had! Had a seat in there with rubber ring to protect your sore bits, so didn't have to worry about wobbly legs which I had from being exhausted.

Once I was cleaned up they walked me down to the ward, only a few feet away, and I didn't realise it was visiting time so my mum was already waiting by my bed when i got there! That was a lovely sight and couldn't have wished for anyone better to share my first couple of hours with, plus it gave my b/f a chance to come home and get showered himself after being up with me all night and holding my hand! Not sure about other hospitals though, depends on their policy I suppose, but some will be strictly visiting hours only whereas others may allow close family to see you anytime. You'd have to check things like that with your midwife.

am i the only one who did not enjoy my shower? i felt like i'd been beaten up and was gonna faint, all i wanted to do was lie in bed holding my baby!

I had an epidural, so was half sat up lying in the bed, with Dh holding my left leg, and MW holding my right :lol:

As I had had an epidural, a nurse came and gave me a bed bath, followed by another MW who came and stitched me up.........I had THE most amazing shower EVER in the evening when DH came back to hospital.......A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

First visitors came at the next visiting hours, which was about 6 hours after she was born.

I don't know about the mirror.....they'll def let you feel her head as it crowns as they offered it to me.

I also ached like a bugger the next day, my legs, arms every muscle in my body killed, I felt like I'd gone 12 rounds :(
(more than worth it though :D )

i was half lying down when i was pushing amber out, i was never asked what position i wanted to be she just told me lie down on the bed (took good 10mins lol)

well it was 6:47am but my dad and grandma arrived 10mins after i gave birth and my mam was already in the room so i was allowed 3 people in the delivery room with me. i think they let me have a shower after i breastfeed amber and they sorted me out down below.

i was asked if i wanted to see the babies head but i said nooo just get it out lol!

trixipaws said:
am i the only one who did not enjoy my shower? i felt like i'd been beaten up and was gonna faint, all i wanted to do was lie in bed holding my baby!

Lol I didn't enjoy my bath! I was so tired I could have fallen asleep in there, plus it was so hot and steamy I felt I was gonna faint when I stood up to get out. Couldn't wait to get into bed! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back