High risk for Downs

TimTam, I'm so sorry! I really hope you can get through this and have a positive outcome! It's such a shock to get a result like this, but once you get your head round it, it's not quite as scary. Especially if you can find a support group. I found the Turner's Syndrome support group on fb just by searching, so maybe there's a DS one? Talking to people who either hsve Down's or have children with Down's will help a lot.
Sadly for us, it's looking like the end of the road, as our baby is just too poorly, but I really hope you get a lovely healthy little baby at the end of all this stress and worry xxx

Sorry to hear this Tammy. It must be an awful shock.

Are you on FB? Do you remember Tracey who had Aaron around the time I had James? He was born with DS and she is a freaking inspiration.

My 12 year old cousin has Downs and has just started secondary school. Granted he will probably never live independently but he is beautiful, bright, happy and so bloody smart. He attended mainstream primary school, (but my aunt has decided he will benefit more from a more specificalised secondary)

I know now it must feel like a bombshell.... give yourself some time.

Lots of love

X

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just wanted to say big hugs to you as I have been following this thread xxx I hope you find some helpful support x

For me, at first I wasn't going to do the Harmony test because it wasn't going to change things for me. But OH wanted it done and I gave in. Thank goodness it came back clear and low risk. Baby is healthy and all is well. :)

Last edited:
To echo what everyone else has said - try facebook. I'm part of a group following the condition I went through in pregnancy. It was the only place I could find support and they are an amazing group of ladies.

Sorry you didn't get the news you wanted, hope you are getting your head round it and getting support from family/friends and the medical professionals. xx

Just seen this, we wouldn't change Coby for the world.
He's 16 weeks old, was 8weeks early been diagnosed with Down's syndrome,as chronic lung disease, as come home on oxygen still on it now.
He is the strongest person we know, every day he amazes us.
Dint let it scare you, extra special babies are given to e tea special mummies xx

Sorry you are having to deal with difficult news. I am sure your LO will be wonderful and you will be a wonderful mum. None of us like it when our LOs have problems or health issues, even minor things like a tummy bug can cause us no end of worry. What you are dealing with is a lot more than that so its natural that you are feeling devistated at the moment. Hugs and I hope you get plenty of support.

I work with people with additional needs and there are 2 brothers in their 50s. They live together have girlfriend's and work. Just because a child has a learning disability doesn't mean they wont live independently. I work with lots of people who live on their own. Im sorry it wasnt what you was hoping for and im sure its a shock but your do whats right for you.
That program that the others are talking about was really good but shocking at the same time. Take a look and join some support groups.
Your baby will be perfect and just because he or she has downs does not make it unhealthy or not perfect. Every baby is special and should be treated the same as others.
One parent at my school adopted a ds child and said its the best thing she has ever done. X

Could i also say they the nhs can scare us by giving a leaflet with all the health issues a ds child can have. I.e heart conditions, dementia ect but any other child can have these also. I have a heart murmur and i dont have ds. There are kids at school that dont have these issues. X

TIMTAM - I'm sorry about the result. Obviously it wasn't what you were hoping for but hopefully you can get the support you need xxx

Last edited:
Hope you are OK Tammy and have found a bit of support and comfort?

X

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

TIMTAM- everything will be OK. A close friend of mine has two boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD), who are the most intelligent boys I have ever met. Few months ago I just found out that another friend of mine is expecting a baby. She has been lucky cos it occured she was at high risk for having a child with down syndrom. Her doc recommended doing ivf with PGS NGS 360 and now she is having relatively a problem-free pregnancy. I wish you all the luck in the world xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back