DOWNS BLOOD RESULTS.. anyone with similar results

scarlett1965

Reaction score
Hi
just to say that I had my blood results for the Downs test yesterday. Midwife said that for my age (43) a high risk would be 1:41. They came back at 1: 161. I know she said this is a good result but with my daughter at 38 yrs the results were 1: 3000. Seems a dramatic drop in just 4 years. She offered me an amnio if I wanted but we had decided to keep the baby even if it had Downs so have refused.
Just wanted to know if anyone had similar results.
Thanks
Scarlett x

Hi Scarlette, i've not had my downs come back high risk, so cant comment, but just wanted to say the odds are still stacked in your favour for a healthy baby. xx

I dont know about results cos mine were very low (also kind of to do with age etc) but i do know that NHS tests are VERY unreliable!! When i was looking through mine it's such a low accuracy rate.

I'm glad i never got offered an amnio, i dont know if i'd have taken it, id have kept baby even if she had downs, but i also think id have wanted to know if she did so i was prepared.

:hug: Baby most likely has nothing wrong with them ( i dont really know how to word that, i dont really see downs as making someone not normal, jsut extra special, so wording is hard lol) hope your not worrying

Mine came back at 1 in 240 (anything less than 250 is high risk). I was quite shocked really as I'm only 21 and lead a similar lifestyle to my friend who's came back at 1 in 12,000, so I was expecting something like that. I was offered an Amnio and had it done the day after finding out, my results were back 2 days later and everything was fine. People think that Amnio's carry a risk of miscarriage but I have never heard of anybody miscarrying as a result and the nurse at the hospital said she'd never known it either (but I had to sign a concent form anyway, which said 1 in 100 chance of miscarriage).

I'm sure your baby will be fine, my midwife told me that she had had results come back as low as 1 in 10 and the baby turned out to be fine.

I'm still waiting for my results :? Hoping i get them soon. How long have you had to wait?

Mine were 1 in 270 which is just outside the high risk group. I am 36 and will be 37 when the baby is born. I decided not to have any further tests. The way I look at it that is still a 99.6% (or there abouts, I'm crap at maths!) chance that I will have a baby that does not have downs. You results would also give a statistic of over 99%, so still a small risk. :hug:

Hi Scarlett,

I was a bit concerned about Downs Syndrome as I am 40yrs and the risk goes up rapidly around this age...see link

http://www.fetalmedicine.ac.uk/antenatal.htm

I spoke with the midwife about this and she said that with the triple test, your age is also taken into account so as you get older, it's more difficult to get a low risk. As I would keep the baby anyhow, I decided against taking the test - it would have just given me something else to worry about. Your triple test shows that your risk is much lower than the average for your age.

I do hope that the test results do not stress you out too much...as JodieLoux said, it may be worth having amnio if you are worried.
:hug: :hug:

Hi,

I've posted about this before but am willing to write about it again. I'm 34 and already have 2 children (I never had the Downs test with either of them) but this time I did, and shock horror, it came back as a 1:42 chance!! We gave it a lot of thought and decided that we would keep the baby, even if it did have Downs so I never had the amino, but had 2 detailed scans at 16 and 21 weeks instead. Anyway, they seem pretty confident that the baby is normal (although I have been told that it isn't as accurate as the amino).

When it was put in perspective, there was always a 97% chance that the baby would be fine, and your risks are even lower than that so I'd say, really, try not to worry, and if you really don't like the idea of the amino ask for a scan. One thing that the consultant did say to me was that if I was sure I would keep the baby regardless of the result, then the amino may be an unnecessary risk. It would be nice to know for certain I guess but I'm not really worrying about it now - what will be will be.

All the best with whatever you decide. :hug:

Hi
Many thanks for all your replies. As ever this site is just brill and makes you feel so much better. I agree the statistics are really good after listening to you all. As said we had already decided to keep the baby if it had Downs and we will will love the baby just as much anyway.
I am having a private gender scan on Saturday and my 20 week scan on April 22 so maybe I will have more of an idea then.
Thank you again and I will let you know whether I am team pink or blue.
Love Scarlett x

Hi Scarlett,

When you have your next scan, you might want to ask them to have a close look at the nasal bone. If it is prominent, then it is unlikely to be a Down's Baby. Mine had a prominent nasal bone at the 12 week scan which was comforting for me (I'm 37).

The odds are stacked against you hun!

I didn't have my downs test because I know I'll be in a panic whatever the risk! AND, whatever the risk, there is STILL a risk... So I can't share your worry... Sorry :hug:

BUT, like others have said, that's a big ol' number there!! I always picture it, line 161 women up and only 1 will have a downs baby, it's highly unlikely if you look at it that way!

I'm sure everything will be fine :D xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back