Haemoglobin level low..:(

Loveleen

Reaction score
Hi All,

I had my 34 week appointment and my hemoglobin levels have come low..10.4. The midwife still did not recommend me iron tablets as she said pregnacare which i am having should be sufficient..

She also said its quite common for preg women to have low iron levels in 3rd stage so just told me to continue pregncare and have iron rich diet..

Has any body else also got this problem? or is there a solution I can try like iron tablets on top of pregncare..please advice thanks..

mine are 10.5 and midwife said anything lower and i'l have to have iron tablets xxx

I don't know my level but they said slightly low but no lower than most women so no action taken x

Oh poor you, yes I am having this prob too.

Mine were low at 17 weeks, to be honest I knew they were low at 10 weeks, but they didn't take booking bloods, as she said I looked fine from just looking at me! but I had that blood transfusion thing in march and I don't ever seem to have replenished properly since then.

At 17 weeks when they finally took bloods, they said to start taking iron tablets, I had some from after my MC and showed her, and she confirmed they were the right ones to take. But they really bung me up big time after just a couple and make me all bloated and loose appetite tho, so have been trying to do it with diet.

One of the girls recomended spatone a natural liquid iron, which I brought two weeks ago, and tastes of nothing so good in squash, but again took two sachets and have been bunged up since, (which was supposed to be the benifit of spatone!). (must be me!)

Went to midwifes thursday, and they rang me friday ,results were back already! my levels were down slightly to 99, so she had written me a prescription for more blooming iron tablets!! I think I will have to ring them and say i'm not coming in to collect it, see her to dicuss, or just collect it , don't use it, and keep trying as I am, as there no good.

So I have had my fybogel today and now I'm eating porridge in bed ! Might have to buy some red meat for us all for tea! (apparently the meat forms of iron are better taken up than the veggy / pulse forms , but more expensive!!!) Try drinking OJ with your iron rich food, as the vit c apparently helps the iron absorbtion.

So I recomened trying to up iron in your diet first, and see how that goes, you really don't wat to mess about with you inards, mine are confused! Good luck Hun

Thanks a lot girls..not sure what I will do without u..I did get spinach and kale over the weekend and making soup..hope that helps...:)

I'm vegan and was worried my iron levels would be low in pregnancy. I take spatone (in a big glass of fresh orange) when I remember. I also make loads of green smoothies. Get spinach, fresh orange and half a banana in a blender, whizz it up and drink straight away (make sure it's all smooth no lumps). Midwife says my bloods have been brilliant considering I'm vegan.

Ooh and try this if you've got kale:

Get kale leaves and tear off the stalks (they're too tough). Wash and put in a bowl. Add olive oil and sea salt and massage into the kale leaves. It softens them up. Once soft, add in sundried tomatoes, avocado and olives and finally a squeeze of lemon juice.

Makes the most refreshing light salad and you get to eat kale in it's raw form whilst it's still full of nutrients.

Sometimes I add pine nuts too. Yum!

Thanks so much Ray of light .I will try them both..they look quite straightforward..:)

Ooh and try this if you've got kale:

Get kale leaves and tear off the stalks (they're too tough). Wash and put in a bowl. Add olive oil and sea salt and massage into the kale leaves. It softens them up. Once soft, add in sundried tomatoes, avocado and olives and finally a squeeze of lemon juice.

Makes the most refreshing light salad and you get to eat kale in it's raw form whilst it's still full of nutrients.

Sometimes I add pine nuts too. Yum!

Ooooh yum! might try this too

My level dropped to 94 and I have been on iron tablets twice a day for the last 3 weeks. Not sure if they do further bloods now in 3rd trimester.

I was on 12.7 to start and then went to 10.2 at 20 weeks, i was perscribed iron tablets but they gave me a really upset tummy so stopped taking them and just swapped my cereal to branflakes, swapped my bread to iron fortified and literally eat half a brocolli a day and snack on raisins and have cut down on tea to almost zilch when i read it can hinder iron absorbtion, 2 weeks later i had gone up to 10.7 and she said that was fine, 10.5 is the cut off where if ur under it they will make u take supplements but she pretty much said, take tablets if u want now ur over the cut off but if u dont we wont be testing u again so its ur preference lol xx

Hi, i am 34 weeks pregnant. My hemoglobin level is 7.4. Please give me suggestion. MY DOCTOR TELL ME FOR TRANSFUSION. EXPLAIN ME WHAT ARE THE COMPLICATIONS?

Last edited:
That's a very low haemoglobin level. I was told I was borderline transfusion when my levels were at 9 a couple of years ago, and yours are much lower.

It's probably best to ask someone medically qualified about any potential complications, but it may be riskier not to have a transfusion.

If your iron levels are too low I have read the baby gets less oxygen and you are at higher risk of haemorraging when you give birth.

7.4 is very low and can be dangerous for u and baby, talk to ur dr about transfusion.
Results with spatone are variable as the amount of iron that your body can absorb from. It is generally low if u have signifucant anaemia spatone isnt enough to improve it normally.
There us variable iron preperations that are prescribke and most people can find one tgey can tolerate, if u kniw ferrous sulphate makes u constipated ask for ferrous fumarate, or vice xersa.
Pregnacare has a moderate amount of iron in it, if ur borderline then it should be sufficient.
X

Mine were 12.8 at booking, and had gone down to 9.9 at 28 weeks, so have been taking ferrous fumerate 3 times a day for 3 weeks now and I feel so much better for it! Tiredness and shortness of breath almost resolved.

If my HB was 7.4 personally I'd be having the blood transfusion - there are risks, but I think there minimal and far outweigh the benefit xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back