Iron - Deficiency Anaemia....

KellyHook

Reaction score
Well got a call from the doctors today and told me I have a prescription waiting for me!!!

I've got Iron Deficiency Anaemia... AGAIN!!! :(

I got it last time I was pregnant and had to be put on tablets and I'm on them again...

I know its really common in pregnant ladies but I have been taking my pregnacare tablets and making sure I eat lots of iron rich foods to help it, as I know that it can lead to premature labour or low birth weight and because brooke was born premature I'm worried that it was to do with low iron!! And I know that I will most likely be ok and like I said I know its common in pregnancy, but I really don't want to go early again!!

O well I will just to have to hope for the best and keep taking my tablets and hope that my body sort itself out better than it did last time!

x

Get dosed up on them hun and hopefully you won't go too early (I do think you will go early though) has your MW talked to you about how likely it is you will go early after Brooke arrived so soon? x

I'm still waiting to find out if I'm anaemic or not... Stupid hospital lost my blood results -sulking-

Sorry to hear you are again :( Fingers crossed you won't go so early this time!! xx

This is just a guess but I think certain people are just more prone to anaemia than others, no matter what you do. I've been anaemic most of my 20's, anaemic through pregnancy and then needed 3 transfusions after the birth. We should be vampires lol. Hopefully you'll get to full term hun.

X

Bring on the constipation!!! Lol will find out from midwife on tuesday what my levels were!

Jen, the consultant said that I have a 1 in 10 chance of going early again.. Which I think they are good odds, pretty much the same chance as anybody else! Low iron prob wasn't connected to her being born early but you just never no!! It feel a little bit disappointed as I have being trying to avoid getting it again!! But my body must not like Iron..lol

Heppi, can't believe you haven't had your results back!! Has your sleeping/tiredness improved at all!!

Ish... Im managing to keep my eyes open during the day now but still happily getting 13/14 hours sleep every night... (I've been taking pregnacare which seems to be helping) x

I'm on pregnacare to, but its obviously not worked for me!! Glad its helping you though, in a way I'm pleased that I can now tell OH why I'm always so tired!! He laughs at me when I say I'm tired and go bed early and then not waking till 11.30am (apart from when I've got to get up to take brooke pre-school) I'm sure he thinks I'm just being lazy!!! Hehe

Thats men for ya! Think they should try being pregnant some time lol x

I've been the same - taking pregnancy vitamins & eating iron rich foods. I was really anaemic with my first & they linked it to my haemhorraging last time after my episiotomy. I have been under a consultant midwife & my iron levels were soooo low this time that I had a course of intravenous iron over a 2 week period (made me feel ill.)
Then I was put on 3 iron tablets a day & still am now. My iron levels needed to be 10.5 which is "normal for pregnant ladies" & the other day my levels were 10.8 - Yey!!!!!
Last pregnancy I was lower than 8.0 & needed 4 blood transfusions & my iron levels plummeted to 5.7!
Take the iron tablets with fresh orange juice as it helps iron be absorbed into your body & the same with meals - drink fresh orange. Special K cereal is a very good source of iron (it was high on the list of iron rich foods with Farleys rusks!)
Avoid tea & coffee an hour before taking iron tablets & 2 hours after - again they stop iron absorption in your body. For constipation? If the fresh orange doesn't help, then get Fybogel or Lactulose free on prescription.
Good luck & hope you get your iron levels boosted soon hun x

Sunnyb xxx

Thanks hun, I've been put on 3tablets a day to, so hopefully they will do the trick! Haven't actually found out what my levels were actually at, will find out on tuesday at my next midwife appointment, hopefully they are not to low! Xx

I've been eating Farleys Rusks!! Maybe they're helping too :) lol xx

Bloody hell, realised reading this thread I sleep normally 6 hours at night, no naps!! I never sleep before 1 or 2 am no matter what time I go to bed. Im sooo lethargic during day too.... Any advice?

Last edited:
I'm on 3 iron tablets a day too hun, and have been taking pregnacare. I hope everything will be alright :-(, I've got a midwife appt in just under 2 weeks, think I might raise it then x x x

Yer I know hun! Was going to message you today actually to find out if we can take the tablets and pregnacare at the same time but we obviously can!! O well I will just have to keep taking them and just hope it works!! Xx

Aye we can hun, was the first thing I asked when I got them, I'm a worrier hehe. But it's fine to take both. I hope I don't go early :-(, I didn't realise that's what could happen due to lack of iron, eeeek! I'm assuming they will test bloods again at the next mw appt (32 wks) to see if my levels are going up..?? Do you know if they do? Xxx

I don't know hun, I see midwife at 28wks 30wks and I presume 32wks!! So they might leave mine a couple of weeks as I only got the tablets yesterday! Yer it can cause premature labour or low birth weights, but I would of thought it would be seriously low iron levels!! Xx

Ive been very anaemic during my pregnancy - ive had loads of bloody tests and really struggled to get my iron count up but im still here waiting for baby at over 41 weeks so it deffo doesnt always mean prem babies!! xx

Hehe true cherelle! Your baba must be too comfy just now! :)

Well guess we'll just see what happens eh :) I'll speak to mw anyway just to put my mind at ease.

When I went to pick up my iron tablets my mum looked at them and said 'oh these were the tablets your gran took', I was like cheers mum :shock: with that and the bad leg cramps and back ache I'm getting I feel like I'm ageing fast haha:lol: xxx

Lol... wait until you get to your due date or even past it! I feel like one of those hugely obese people on the TV - i can hardly move!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back