question to the girls who have low iron levels

samanthajayne

Reaction score
:wave:

this has been bugging me for ages now so thought i'd make a post and ask you all about low iron levels.

i'm on pregnacare and its got in it 121% of the recommended daily allowance of iron in it which i would have thought was enough to make sure iron levels stayed up.

are you girls that have low iron levels taking anything like pregnacare or another pregnancy vitamin or are you just relying on diet alone??
just worries me a little that iron levels could still go low even when taking a tablet with iron in it everyday.

Mine is boderline low but I'm only managing mine with diet, and when the midwife pointed out it was low she didn't suggest I do anything more than diet management.

Alex xxx

mines borderline too, i told the MW i was taking pregnacare, and she said that it should be fine. eating lots of fruit, and green veg too! :D

Hiya

It depends how low they are, do you know the figure? Mine are 10.3 ish I think and I've been prescribed iron tablets. I was taking pregnacare but my midwife said it doesn't have "much" iron in it. ie it has 121% of the RDA but this is for someone who's not deficient in any way.

Has your midwife recommended iron tablets? If you're just borderline (11.5 or something? Not too sure) then you should be ok without them xx

Ask your MW about iron tablets if its making you overly tired having low iron levels, you can also see your GP for another blood test to double check your levels and prescribe correct supplements. I was briefly put on iron tablets whilst pregnant with Isaac, they gave me black poo and constipation :D I personally wouldn't depend on diet alone, especially if you have any symptoms of low iron levels, very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug:

I have been on iron tablets since 10 weeks, started taking pregnacare when i was TTC, it really depends on how low it is as like somebody else said, the pregnacare is just to keep you ticking over, if its low then that wont be enough

Try SpaTone - it's a natural mineral water with a high iron content. You bung a sachet in orange juice and you can't taste it, plus it's MUCH easier to absorb being liquid than Pregnacare or similar vitamins.

AND it doesn't make you constipated or give you black poo.

Worked for me anyway.

Oh and should also add that it's available on prescription :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back